Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 45

Author Topic: Dominions 4 Round Ten: Nationgen! All's well that ends well, GG everyone  (Read 68338 times)

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 4 Round Ten: Nationgen! Game on
« Reply #435 on: December 07, 2014, 07:59:38 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

lijacote

• Bay Watcher
  • Lissasa
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: December 08, 2014, 07:11:47 am »

Me miserable! which way shall I fly
Infinite wrath, and infinite despair?
Which way I fly is Hell; myself am Hell;
And, in the lowest deep, a lower deep
Still threatening to devour me opens wide,
To which the Hell I suffer seems a Heaven.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: December 11, 2014, 04:26:57 pm »

Given how long it's been since we had a turn where one of us didn't need to postpone at least 12h (and usually more), the admin and subadmin (i.e., Delta and I) have consulted and decided to change hosting to 36h per turn. It's only 8h more per turn, but hopefully it'll cut down a bit on how much we need to keep an eye glued to the clock.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 04:49:38 pm by E. Albright »

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: December 11, 2014, 05:00:55 pm »

Pretty reasonable time frame for a 40-turn game. Though I'm not sure what it is about my playstyle this time around, but I think Samarir has the shortest turns (in terms of the time it takes me to complete them), of just about any Dominions nation I've played. The blood-hunting keyboard shortcuts help quite a bit, but I think there must be some other factor too.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: December 11, 2014, 05:09:39 pm »

Maybe it's because a certain neighbor of yours ended up crumpling up like wet tissue paper?  :P

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: December 11, 2014, 05:11:34 pm »

Oh, does anyone have a map they wouldn't mind sharing of what the world looks like? I know there are a couple people playing that typically have the ability to do that, so if you'd have the energy/motivation and wouldn't mind sharing it'd be nice to see how things are looking.
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: December 11, 2014, 05:45:42 pm »

Well... since I have it sitting around, and it's not 100% up-to-date...

Spoiler: 8-10-turn-old map (click to show/hide)

This was roughly the state of Peliwyr right before Samarir invaded Dousheim. Since then, Dousheim and Shangrila have basically disappeared, with little or nothing left outside their capitals. Agor has pushed back Damerkot roughly to their pre-war borders, Lissasa took the "bridge" islands away from Illen and finished grabbing the sea, and Illen and Dheathig have been continuously trading provinces and raiding in force on both their mountain and forest borders.

[Edit: Ya know, if I'm describing changes after the out-of-date map was created, there's no reason for me to not throw up a sloppy, coarse-grained map of them. So here's a much less polished and far more quickly drawn update to the above.]

« Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 06:07:48 pm by E. Albright »

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: December 11, 2014, 06:11:11 pm »

Cool, thanks!
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: December 11, 2014, 09:20:06 pm »

That's a lot more recent than my latest map.  I haven't updated since I first got sick quite some time ago, and haven't been motivated to resume the job since.  For reference, we're on 38 now. 

Spoiler: Turn 22 (click to show/hide)

Usual icons apply - thrones by crowns, forts by crosses, capitals by flowery-bits.  Temples are new; those are represented by five-diamond little crosses.  Changes I've spotted: Lissasa (Red) has pushed into the first two islands belonging to Illen (orange).  Shangrila (magenta) has effectively fallen to Agor (yellow), except for those territories they seized from Samarir (blue).  Dousheim (lilac) has been effectively partitioned by Illen and Samarir, which has also evicted Shangrila from its own territories.  I have next to no information on Dheathig (purple), beyond the limited gains they made against Samarir in my former lands.  Absolutely nothing has changed on the Dousheim/Lissasia front. 
« Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 09:21:59 pm by Culise »

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: December 12, 2014, 08:48:09 pm »

Given who's still outstanding, pushing 12h w/o getting any closer to the deadline than the current T-1h.

lijacote

• Bay Watcher
  • Lissasa
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: December 13, 2014, 09:57:08 am »

That attack was a result of human fallibility and UI foolishness. I thought I had put everyone to passive things, like researching, but no. No. They still wanted to Move. Well. We got rid of the artifact... or did we? I wonder. I hope this doesn't equalise things too much.
Me miserable! which way shall I fly
Infinite wrath, and infinite despair?
Which way I fly is Hell; myself am Hell;
And, in the lowest deep, a lower deep
Still threatening to devour me opens wide,
To which the Hell I suffer seems a Heaven.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: December 13, 2014, 05:28:41 pm »

You gave us some magic items and lost ~200 chaff and two handfuls of priests and commanders in exchange for a couple handfuls of my troops. I don't think that changed anything noticeable in the balance of power.

Well, one war is effectively done this turn, and I assume it and the other equally-advanced one will be completely done next turn. So that means more power is about to be brought to bear on the monkeys, and either Agor, Dheathig, or myself will likely soon have an unpleasant amount of birdmen up in their business - that, or Samarir is about to skip the next war, hunker down, and build up a lethal blitz. Interesting times, interesting times...
« Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 05:34:22 pm by E. Albright »

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: December 13, 2014, 05:31:31 pm »

He's got an E bless and turn-1 advantage. I'd better march in without flight geared/scripted.

Curse you, tompliss! Curse you and your excessive mage-killiness!

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: December 15, 2014, 03:49:07 pm »

So it looks like I'm gonna need a sub here, I'm afraid. Stuff happens, you know :-\
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: December 15, 2014, 04:22:49 pm »

Noooooo! I was just getting ready to kick your butt :(

It's been nice skirmishing for as long as we have, I wish you all the best.
Understandable if you can't manage it, but if you can do a small summary of your nation to help acclimate a sub in and send it to... Il Palazzo or some other dom-dude that's not playing in this particular game.

I'll change the thread title.

edit:
postponed 48h.

edit2:
In case anyone's interested, the mod download link is in the OP.
Game is currently on turn 39 and from what I can tell Darmerkot is not losing. A very viable sub position if I've ever seen one.
Currently at war with wannabe Sceleria.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 04:31:39 pm by Delta Foxtrot »
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 45