Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 45

Author Topic: Dominions 4 Round Ten: Nationgen! All's well that ends well, GG everyone  (Read 68341 times)

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

We discussed this a while ago in the general dominions 4 thread. This is going to be a match using Elmokki's fine NationGen mod. For those not in the know, it's a mod that generates random nations. Each player in the game will generate one that they like and we'll play using those.

Link to NationGen:
http://koti.kapsi.fi/~elmokki/dom4/unitgen/

Game name: Bay12GamesRound410
Map: Peliwyr
Mods: Nationgen/Link to .dm & .tga files for the mod our game uses (zipped)
Era: Nationgen/Middle Era
Disciples: No
Time allowance: 28 hours at start
Special site frequency: 50
Random event frequency: Common
Score graphs: Off
Hall of Fame: 15
Artifact forging limit : Limited
Thrones: 50%+1, level 1's. 8/15
Renaming: Allowed
Research: Normal

Players:
1. Delta Foxtrot
2. tompliss
3. USEC_OFFICER
4. E. Albright
5. lijacote
6. Karlito
7. Culise
8. Boksi -> Subbed out to Darkwind3
9. Bluerobin

Nation selection:
Seed used: Castle of the Sun, seed 1731078640 (standard settings, 100 nations)
Drafting order:
6. Karlito - #106 Nagabal / #109 Samarir
5. lijacote - #142 Lissasa / #148 Miatepec
8. Boksi - #167 Darmekot / #140 Agarhan
7. Culise - #115 Tejayapur / #135 Dousheim
3. USEC_OFFICER - #162 Dheathig / #195 Aralpakbad
9. Bluerobin - #113 Midmatia / #177 Vansceis
1. Delta Foxtrot - #185 Agor / #112 Zenken
2. tompliss - #198 Shangrila / #125 Dholgar
4. E. Albright - #173 Abarea / #131 Illen
___

A few issues in the game at the time of this match:
-Casting the spell Transformation risks crashing the game. Until they patch it, just don't.
-Flying raiders using the 'raid' command can't be intercepted. They are currently more or less uncounterable. Don't use them. Non-flying raiders are fine.

___

Spoiler: How does PBEM work? (click to show/hide)

Useful links:
Dom4 forums on Desura
Link to Edi's Dom4 Database
An archived snapshot of the Dom3 wiki: Yes, it's still relevant, and it hasn't been replaced yet, so... It has loads of useful information, including strategy guides. Keep in mind that while a lot of this information is still very useful and valid, a lot of it is entirely out-of-date.

Llama Server: the automatic hosting server for our game.
Llama Server's map and mod browser (Yes, it's not really a browser, but you can browse the maps and mods here)
Dom4 Mod Inspector Very useful. You can browse all the nations, items, spells and sites in the game with it.

___
Reserves, please confirm you're still in. I'd like to keep this a small game. I believe I suggested 6-8 players in the other thread. I think that's a decent size to aim for. I'll look at maps a little later, I'd like to try one of Pymous' smaller maps, they should fit out planned game size.
I would prefer a site frequency of 50-55, but I could manage as low as 45 (EA default) if people insist.
Throne wise I would prefer a number of level 1 thrones only. Level 3's are OP as hell and 2's give plenty of mages. Normally I wouldn't mind the mages, but I'd like to keep our randomly generated national mages in the spotlight. Exact numbers are up to debate.
I'm really liking the easy research in 408, but I can go with normal if people so desire.

There's still room for people who didn't originally express interest, and those who did may still bow out. Let me know. I would like to get this game started early next week, but if people need more time to generate and try out nations, I suppose I can't force it. Also if anyone has any pointers about adminning a nationgen game, I'd love to hear them.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2015, 04:57:52 pm by Delta Foxtrot »

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 4 Round Ten: Nationgen!
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2014, 07:27:41 am »

I confirm I'll be in.
It's not as if my turns were long in 4.07 anyway (just wrecking Pangea's provinces and temple :D )...

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2014, 07:36:19 am »

I'm definitely still interested in a nationgen game, and would suggest a site frequency of 55. Simply because I'm greedy and want those extra gems. No real preference on the thrones, but I think that having level 2 ones wouldn't be a problem. Generally those mages are StR, and having one place to recruit special mages isn't going to automatically devalue the national mages. Unless your national mages are crap, I guess, but then that was your own fault for picking them in the first place.

The only suggestion I have for admining a nationgen game would be to let people be able to change the description/name of their units. Either through getting familiar with the Dominions editor, or shuffling the mod around. Nothing makes a nation feel more personal and special than including your own descriptions and fluff.

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2014, 07:39:23 am »

Same as above, would prefer no lvl3 thrones, and if there are lvl2 thrones, I would prefer either a total of one or least 2/3 per player.
Also, I wouldn't mind this game not to be a "blitz" (1/4 of the points needed for victory) as we'll be there to play new nations, after all ^^

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2014, 07:53:55 am »

I'd like to join, if possible :)

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2014, 11:15:38 am »

Tompliss you are being such a jerk in 4.07.  Why wont you just give up?  I have other things to deal with!
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2014, 11:25:03 am »

Vanarus never surrenders.
If I can't win, I simply make sure my enemies can't win either.
Maybe after a while, those enemies will simply stop trying to attack. After all, they've got more to loose than me, now :)

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2014, 11:46:56 am »

Get thee behind me Satan!

Man, every time I think I'm out, someone pulls me back in. I guess the few days of set-up time will count as my Dominions vacation. Hopefully I'll be able to generate something that matches the glory that was Burburg.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2014, 11:48:45 am »

This sounds really, really fascinating.  Provisional in.  ^_^

((And I just realized I haven't played at all since 4.02.))

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2014, 12:56:28 pm »

It's been a long while since I last played Dominions. I'm in.
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

lijacote

• Bay Watcher
  • Lissasa
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2014, 03:38:07 pm »

My hands are full of defeat and projects (and none of those projects include my failure of a LP, sorry), but I'll be watching with some interest.
Me miserable! which way shall I fly
Infinite wrath, and infinite despair?
Which way I fly is Hell; myself am Hell;
And, in the lowest deep, a lower deep
Still threatening to devour me opens wide,
To which the Hell I suffer seems a Heaven.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2014, 04:24:34 pm »

Augh. I swore I wouldn't play another Dominions game. Then I got the itch and joined round 9. Now you put Nationgen in front of me?

I'm in if there's room!
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2014, 04:43:39 pm »

If my headcount is right that puts us at 9 players, including E. Albright who hasn't confirmed his willingness to play. So 8-9 players, a bit above what I envisioned but what the hell. At least it's under ten players, that's small, right?

Feel free to suggest maps, though if we're at 9 I would prefer Peliwyr. The one we used at 402. At 8 players I would prefer something a bit smaller.

Should we all just gen whatever we like and play those, or should there be a veto thing to avoid the worst OP entries? I don't really care, but I guess it's worth asking.

edit:
If people find the pretenders-by-monday too strict, I suppose we can give most of next week to testing stuff out and getting back in the game, as it sounds like a few of you have had a bit of a hiatus, short as it may have been. No need to rush the start then.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 04:53:53 pm by Delta Foxtrot »

moghopper

• Bay Watcher
  • The not quite as great as Toady or Three toe
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2014, 05:02:30 pm »

Room for one more?

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2014, 05:06:21 pm »

We're currently at 8 or 9 players, pending E. Albright. I could personally put the hard limit at ten players. This game was originally conceived as a smaller game, so few of the early joiners may or may not have some objections at having one more.

So... I suppose we have room? Yeah, I'll peg you in. But you would most likely be the last one to join, since I really don't want this to bloat out of control. I've had enough big games for a while.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 45