Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Lying  (Read 3119 times)

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
Re: Lying
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2014, 12:41:34 pm »

I don't understand that.
Lets say someone loves sandwiches and someone hates them.

Person one says "Sandwiches are delicious." That is true for person one but false for person two.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2014, 02:13:15 pm »

I think my definition of "truth" might be a little wonky. If it's not always true, then it's false.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2014, 06:46:01 pm »

False!
For example: It is tuesday is true approx 1/7 of the time. It's not 'always' true.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2014, 08:34:09 pm »

Your point being?
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2014, 10:29:50 pm »

« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 09:52:40 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2014, 02:35:12 am »

Your point being?

Your definition is potentially not 100% accurate.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2014, 02:39:22 am »

my definition of "truth" might be a little wonky

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2014, 07:16:30 am »

(I'm just going to work my way backwards though this thread, because it seems interesting)
I don't understand that.
Lets say someone loves sandwiches and someone hates them.

Person one says "Sandwiches are delicious." That is true for person one but false for person two.

That's not a lie, nor is it a truth (and the person saying it probably isn't saying it as a truth most of the time) it's just a opinion. Although sometimes clarifying a opinion as such (in situations where it could be mistaken as truth) can be usful, I am pretty sure it's not a necessary thing most of the time (And, indeed, in some cases people will feel insulted if you do so).

Although I guess I couldn't agree with the wording of "If it's not always true, then it's false." I can understand where it is coming from, if a statement is true, then it is true, and if it is false or a lie, then it is false or a lie. Although though the passage of time the answer to a question might become different, that doesn't change how true or false a statement on it was previously.

As for person saying the day of the week... Saying it's not always wrong or not always right is ignoring the context of the statement. The statement "It is tuesday" made on a tuesday is always right, and the statement "It is tuesday" made on a day other then tuesday is always wrong. I guess if you really want to devoid it of all context though, it would always be nether right nor wrong, since the statement doesn't clarify what 'it' is.

Well, no. A lie is by definition untrue. It literally cannot be true. That makes it not a lie.

Some truths are subjective.

No, this isn't true. If something is subjective, then it's not the truth. Or if it is the truth, then it's not subjective (although it may seem that way in some instances, like stating a opinion, but however you take a statement, it's ether subjective, and thus nether true nor false, or objective, and thus is  true or false.)

Lies may become true isn't really right, although the sentiment behind it is fair enough. It might be pedantic to say it's incorrect, but it would also be correct to say so.

Also I guess the question the OP was answered already, so not much point getting too deep into that. I think I would have suggested not to tell him, if he was meh about it, and from what the lie is, it seemed like one of those... I wouldn't call it a harmless lie since it was somewhat insulting to your mother, but exaggeration between friends is fairly normal in my experience, and I would guess this was just that? It would depend on a lot of things, but in my experience at least those types of lies are only weird if you later say that you were lying, them just finding out that you were lying is par for the course. Hopefully not a big deal ether way.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2014, 01:27:18 pm »

Remember that honesty is the best policy, if you think that lying won't work anymore.

Yet more proof you are your avatar.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.
Pages: 1 [2]