Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Short Stories and Magazines  (Read 1283 times)

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
Short Stories and Magazines
« on: September 22, 2014, 02:15:50 pm »

So I've decided that I'd like to try submitting something to a magazine to be published, in the name of exposure and (possibly) a small amount of money. Also, to prove to myself that I can. I'm actually not too hung up on the fame and money, which is probably good because I doubt I'll get much of either.

I'm considering a few local magazines, as well as The Gorgon's Mirror, but there aren't very many of them; so question one, are there any magazines that come recommended? I tend to write fairly soft sci-fi, some of it to the point of being fantasy in space.

I have no idea what kind of standards exist for this kind of thing, or if there are any at all universal standards; so question two what are standards going to be like? Especially regarding length and format. Obviously, what they're looking for stylistically and subject matter-wise will differ from one to another.

And lastly, because I've never done this before, is there anything important I'm missing?

Any and all advice appreciated.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
Re: Short Stories and Magazines
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2014, 02:30:06 pm »

PTW, I've been working up the nerve to try to get something published as well.

Helmaroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2014, 03:05:01 pm »

I don't have any personal experience with this topic but I recall that in Stephen King's On Writing he recounts the many, many, many rejections that were occasionally punctuated with an acceptance when he first began submitting stories. So it may take many attempts and a lot of perseverance to get published, especially in popular magazines.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2014, 03:36:19 pm »

This blog has a LOT of excellent information.

Look through the enormous tags list for the most useful stuff. In this case, I'd recommend browsing the publishing tag. There are answered questions about publishing, announcements about various contests and magazines accepting submissions, and all sorts of great info.

They also do answer questions, though they get a lot of them, so don't expect instant feedback.

I've gotten more information on publishing from this blog than anywhere else. It's really seriously useful stuff. I'm a professional journalist and magazine editor (not a literary magazine, sorry), but I still find more useful info about publishing my own writing on this blog than I get from work -- you know, the actual publishing company.

EDIT: A quick look turns up this within the first few posts: Nine Literary Magazines for New and Unpublished Writers
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 03:38:19 pm by Sappho »

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2014, 04:35:16 pm »

*bookmarks thread* Thanks a lot Sappho, that's a lot of really good info. :D

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2014, 04:36:10 pm »

I'd like to try submitting something to a magazine to be published

Relevant

I'm considering a few local magazines,

Local is good. It's convenient to be able to walk into the office to meet with people. And if I'm deciding between two articles of equal quality and relevance, I'm more likely to choose the writer five miles away than the writer in another state. Especially for local interest stories. It won't matter as much with fiction, but I'll obviously be more trusting of the guy next door to review the local golf course than I will the guy in Kentucky.

Just don't limit yourself to local publishers.

I tend to write fairly soft sci-fi

Note that fiction is notoriously difficult to get into, because there are so ridiculously many people wanting to write it. Gone are the days that every aspiring author first got published in Amazing Stories. There's far more demand for relatively boring things like product reviews, teen kissing guides, travel stories, stories about what Paris Hilton's dog did at her last psychiatrist's appointment, etc.

are there any magazines that come recommended?

Any magazine that caters to topics that personally interest you and that you have interesting and relevant anecdotes about. Checking google...here's a consolidated list of guidelines for 853 different periodicals. Pick a category that interests you and go down the list.

what are standards going to be like?  Especially regarding length and format.

It varies. Be absolutely certain to read the writer's guidelines for each and every single magazine you submit to. Don't plan to write an article and then submit it. Read the writer's guidelines first. Ideal length for a National Geographic Traveler feature article is 1500-2500 words. Average for Scientific American is 2500 words. Forbes expects their guest submissions to be 850-1000 words. If you're writing for The Escapist, they'll tell you in advance exactly how long they want it if they accept your pitch. It varies.

Also, get the magazine in question and read it. Seeing what they've previously published should give you an idea what they're likely to publish in the future.

is there anything important I'm missing?

Note that most "big" magazines don't accept unsolicited submissions. They instead require that you submit a pitch, and they'll respond with whether they're interested. Identify in advance the particular policy of the magazine you intend to submit to, and follow their rules. They don't generally make any great secret of it. If you can't be bothered to find out their process, they're unlikely to bother considering your submission.

Understand that most magazines anyone would recognize by name primarily publish material written by staff writers.

It's generally acceptable to submit identical pitches to multiple publishers simultaneously, but if you do this you absolutely must keep everyone informed and do not accept identical commissions from multiple sources unless they explicitly approve it. They will find out and you will be blacklisted. If one editor accepts your pitch, immediately inform the others you've submitted to. In the case of periodicals that accept unsolicited submissions, again, inform them if you've submitted to multiple publishers and immediately inform everyone else once you've been accepted.

« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 04:54:23 pm by LordBucket »

Arx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2014, 12:09:06 am »

Thanks for the advice, guys (as a gender-neutral term including Sappho). I can't look up most of that stuff right now, being on my phone, but I will look at it tomorrow.

Helmaroc, I'm not too worried about rejection, much like the money and fame. If I can push myself into actually trying, I'll be happy.

Sappho, that blog sounds like an awesome resource. I'll look it up when I get home.

LordBucket, thanks for all the tips. I'll bear those in mind, and keep that list somewhere.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2014, 10:24:09 am »

I submitted two stories in early October, and one of them has finally been rejected. I'll see about submitting it and some other elsewhere, hopefully with better results.

I now have an event in common with ninety percent of famous authors! :D