Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: training  (Read 1676 times)

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
  • Now versio- I mean, age 18. Honestly not an AI.
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
training
« on: September 22, 2014, 06:35:51 pm »

how do you train all the various skills? I really want to know so i can start putting more points into hard to train stuff and less points into easier to train stuff

I know that sneaking or sprinting train agility
Power/metagaming RL since Birth/Born to do it.
Quote from: Second Amendment
A militia cannot function properly without arms, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without tanks and warplanes, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear tanks and warplanes, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without ICBMs, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear ICBMs, shall not be infringed.

TheDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: training
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2014, 09:37:56 am »

I'm pretty sure swimming trains agility, strength, endurance, kinesthetic sense and spatial sense.
I love this community. Somebody asks "hay guise how do i tame shark", and then everybody is like "why don't we fling sharks at things with complex mechanical devices?".

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2014, 10:04:13 am »

I find it incredibly easy to train strength, agility, endurance, willpower, and the kinaesthetic and spatial sense attributes (and armor, wrestling, and fighting skill) by spam-wrestling sleeping bandits. Generally takes about two nights to max out.

If no bandits are available, wrestling small animals also works, including non-venomous snakes and turtles if you're encumbered since they don't move very fast.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2014, 04:09:46 am »

I recently maxed out agility, endurance, willpower, kinaesthetic sense, spatial sense and am close to max out strength (it is superdwarven but not max yet). All thanks to swimming first and wrestling crabs on frozen beach second. The latter was especially successful and easy, and took just a (long) day. I can train still, but it doesn't increase my speed despite still increasing strength. Apparently strength alone decreases your speed by increasing muscle mass (my character is maximally fat, one million fat units, but also nearly maximally muscled out) and increases your speed by allowing to take more items without penalty. So after certain level you have zero net gain of speed.

To train with crabs set "C"ombat to Attack:Close combat, Dodge:Move Around and Charge is less important, but I have Stand ground. Hide all weapons but have a shield in your hand - without blocking and dodging you will be scratched in every possible place. Have armour too, I have only leather armour.

Approach a crab and wrestle it manually for some time, or bump into it and back away. The goal is to make it prone. When the crab is on the ground it is much less likely to be thrown - and throwing it means it can die easily. Once it has some legs broken, is tired and prone, you just bump into it with direction keys which is very fast comparing to other training methods (even swimming, where you can accidentally get out of water). It trains wrestling, dodging, fighter, armour, shield and plenty of attributes.  Crab is good because it cannot suffocate and bleeding is also very rare. If you find a good crab you can

After such short training my dwarf is able to do what previously was done to him by more dangerous night trolls: can disarm an opponent and use his weapon to beat him, can run circles around opponent and can bite off/rip away opponent's appendages (wings, arms) to scary him or just choke and strangle him to make less mess (if creature has no lung damage it usually loses consciousness before suffocating, so you can abuse it while it is alive, or just leave it for later).

Another training I did before that was firing bolt from a hill into a wall of mead hall, then collecting the bolts to reuse, and knapping stones and throwing them. Throwing items before combat (even bolts) is a good way to start it, so better train before.

I'm new to adventuring, so I don't know how to train weapon skills fast, but I heard you can use bogeymen to do that. I haven't seen a bogeyman yet, though.

Two

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2014, 05:05:12 am »

I still wonder about that attribute training thing... I once got my adventurer from 0 swimming to 14 and no change in any attribute. Same for all other adventures I have played yet, they never raised any attribute ever.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2014, 01:01:57 pm »

I still wonder about that attribute training thing... I once got my adventurer from 0 swimming to 14 and no change in any attribute. Same for all other adventures I have played yet, they never raised any attribute ever.

Have you checked with dfhack? Maybe it's was a bug. While swimming these attributes were raised: Strength, Agility, Endurance, Analytical ability, Willpower, Intuition, Spatial sense and Kinesthetic sense. It doesn't increase Toughness, which is hard to increase. Some of them are probably raised because of Observer or Ambusher, which are raised basically with every move. However, Strength, Agility, Endurance, Willpower and Kinesthetic sense are not raised when walking out of water, so at least these are connected to swimming. With my low level character I observed increase in general speed - which was caused by Strength and Agility increase.

Said that, the increases are small comparing to other skills. Swimming is good because it's easy to train, and the swimming skill itself (increases speed when swimming and decreases chance of drowning) which can be useful. There are better skills to train attributes.

Bloax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2014, 02:04:22 pm »

Very few skills raise your attributes by much,
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=7839
although Dodger/Armor-/Shield User pumps your stats by quite a lot, and they're as easy to train as grabbing a couple of birds while fully dressed in iron.

oh_no

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2014, 02:19:53 pm »

Very few skills raise your attributes by much,
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=7839
although Dodger/Armor-/Shield User pumps your stats by quite a lot, and they're as easy to train as grabbing a couple of birds while fully dressed in iron.

The problem described is true with swimming, but wrestling, throwing or firing a crossbow raises attributes greatly (in comparison), at least in v0.40.13. With most of them you need to perform them 5-10 times to increase corresponding attributes by one point, instead of about 100-500 like with swimming.

a smiling bearded cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOTHOUGHT][NO_SLEEP]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2014, 01:21:37 pm »

For the would-be powerleveler, Pirate Bob's Trade 'n Spar http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=143083.0 seems to work the fastest for overall growth. Your mileage will vary in regard to how exploity this is.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2014, 01:26:53 pm »

To train:

take one point in swimming at character gen.

Find river, sneak around in it to find sturgeon or similar small creature.
Wrestle creature to keep it immobile.
Keep wrestling it.
This will train anything from sneaking to swimming to armor using to fighting and wrestling.

Find rocks.  pick up rocks if you have a backpack.  Knap rocks in hands.  Throw rocks.
Finally, start a brawl.  Punch many heads.

When you start fighting, try to disable weaker opponents without causing them pain.  Chop off weapon hands and/or feet.  Let them hit you or purposely chop off unessential parts first, to prolong experience gains.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

a smiling bearded cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOTHOUGHT][NO_SLEEP]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2014, 02:11:38 pm »

One thing to add on to pisskop's post about training in rivers. Best do this is a warm-hot climate. This way when night falls you won't get encased in ice.

Also somewhat unrelated but in general, if you are going to train up a character, during character generation do not assign any points to shield/dodge/observer/armor. These skills will grow along with every major (useful) attribute when training by turtling up with a few shields, your combat settings set to close combat/stand ground/stand ground, and letting whatever opponent attack away by repeatedly pressing the period key. Macro this. If you want to increase the enemy's chances of hitting, lie down. Turtling with shields is for me the best foundational choice for powerleveling. After that, the only things that can touch you are fire, webs and syndromes.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 07:00:00 pm by a smiling bearded cretin »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2014, 02:18:46 pm »

You should still put a few skill points into observer though, just IMO.

Also, tracking skills up on its own without having to do anything and ambush is easy to train up, so, don't put points into those.

Bloax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2014, 07:21:48 pm »

find sturgeon or similar small creature.
Uh, m8
Size: Adult: 1,500,000
be careful about what you're advising here.

oh_no