Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My mostly minor suggestions..  (Read 1198 times)

dwarf_reform

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_BUTCHERABLE]
    • View Profile
My mostly minor suggestions..
« on: September 22, 2014, 11:27:26 pm »

Been keeping this notepad open as I play DF and have been adding things as I come across them.. This list hasn't been compared to Toady's future plans at all, and some of it is already doable through mods and things.. Most of it is smaller streamlining/UI/usability stuff and some hardcoded stuff that'd be nice to see set free, and any critique or comments are appreciated (especially concerning already-planned stuff..):

*A genned world (or is a seed enough, or accurate?), chosen/generated by Toady himself, for each stable release.. "The sacred soil of Armok!" Ideally these maps would be genned with the entire DF fanbase in mind in regards to fps-death and map size, or maybe a small, medium, and large world (though thats a lot of choosing.. I was thinking of a single map in the spirit of community togetherness..) This would be cool for community forts, and just to see what kind of world Sir Toad chooses..

*Strange moods for military dwarves that have claimed a weapon, that adds improvements to the weapon (serrated edge, blood-letting holes, double-edging, spikes or weights or pommel guards.. It'd have to actually raise the material properties for the weapon, though, from what I've read about weapon function..)

*Legends mode function for skipping to the bottom (and maybe center for the longer entries).. Its painful scrolling through decades of history just to get to a creature's 'kills' list..

*Pet hospital

*Display previous info about trade agreements when traders arrive.. "I have those llamas you asked for." or "Do you have any of the splints or plants for sale that we spoke about previously?" type stuff.. Next time they show up I probably won't remember that I had some legendary splints carved to sell them without some help..

*Allow skeletons to be dismantled into usable bones

*Sort the "Workshop Profile" dwarf-list by skill in the profession related to the workshop (ex. list best cooks first for kitchen).. It'd be great if it could display their skills too, like when you assign nobles or soldiers..

*Zone designation where dwarves place grazer-edible items (or animal food in general) so animals
can be fed anywhere (wild animals would eat from these if possible, too.. Always that downside!)

*Allow dwarves to embark on worlds where dwarves never existed at all, and set some
requirements for how early a dwarf can claim ruler status (I embarked in 40.13 recently in a world where
all dwarves were dead and one of my starting dwarves immediately claimed the crown, and immediately
started generating bad thoughts from all his crazed mandates and room requirements..)

*Allow embarking with 1-20 dwarves, and totally disabling migrant waves (entirely!)

*Ability to physically view an embark site before actually committing to an embark, and being
able to personally place your starting wagon, and the ability to have dwarves push or drag the wagon to
new locations after embark..

*Optionally dress all (even non-military) dwarves slot-by-slot

*Ability to order a dwarf to wet an area with a water (.. or magma?) bucket, for putting out
fires and watering farm areas

*Allow the military 'move' command to be issued to non-military dwarves, along with a targetable function to tell a dwarf to move a single item

*Display the name of the targeted tile when placing mining designations

*Allow in-game aquifer on/off toggle in worldgen (this may already be possible??)

*Allow woodcutters or gatherers to destroy tree saplings (more elegant than building dirt roads
over them)

*Let craftsdwarf or farmer workshops apply liquids (and ideally globs and dusts) to weaponry for limited-use poisoning

*Allow barrels, refuse, corpses, hives, cages, and living creatures to be fired by catapults (the ability to fire up over walls in an arc would be awesome too..)

*Allow all material-shaping workshops to benefit (quicker build times) from 'power' access (a windmill, for example)

*Add a second playable sub-species of dwarves that DO NOT CARE (will eat pets, will display
trophies, will eat sapients, and they ENJOY doing these things; example being a dwarf who has
its pet eaten by another will actually respect the other dwarf more for being so dwarfly..
(Probably better left to a mod, but would provide a more dwarfly experience in the vanilla
version..)

**A splinter of the above suggestion, it'd be awesome to be able to disable ghosts,
grudges, and all individual dwarven emotions (mood hits from pet deaths, friend/child deaths,
etc..) Basically options to allow play of a tantrum-free fort, however undwarfly it may be ;)

*Add explosives production and bomb usage (for war/traps, mining, and science).. Could be something like Metal Barrel + Powdered Coal + lever = explosions.. A fuse made of cloth (and maybe tallow), if you want to add another layer of difficulty.. Not sure if DF has saltpeter or sulfer, but those two and charcoal are the ingredients in common gunpowder, for realism.. I'm guessing there are some DF-design problems with explosions, or Sir Toad is possibly opposed to explosions, else I figure we'd already have explosions..

*Allow fires to be set purposefully in fort mode (Fire-starting labor option in
alchemy/cleaning/architecture section)

*Ability to remove or add all dwarves from a burrow with a single command

*Make a traffic designation that absolutely forbids passage to your dwarves and animals
(wouldn't effect hostiles or wild creatures, of course)

*Some new non-evil rain interaction types..

*Dwarves will play insturments if their musicality is high enough and they have no job.
Dwarves that like music will get a small boost to mood, dwarves with low musicality will be slightly irritated by music and won't purposefully attend 'concerts', when held. (EDIT: Dec 1: I read about this one in the tavern arc recently, so its on the way.. though it'd still be nice to have early access to pre-tavern fort-mode music..)
« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 11:13:14 pm by dwarf_reform »