Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Custom world gen problems-  (Read 1374 times)

Mokkun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Custom world gen problems-
« on: October 30, 2014, 08:18:06 am »

Sorry, not sure where to post this, so went for general.
While trying to generate a new world (whit some small alterations), I seem to have problems whit if not finishing and crashing.
The problems are that if it do not run up to ca 3.9 gb ram (large adress aware patch), it will not finish the finalizing sites. it will stop at like current worldgen 984 / 1129 or quite higher or lower numbers depending on world. This have happened for me the whole of 0.40.xx line. (only managed to gen 1 world earlier sucessfully of 100ds). Tried whit fresh vanila downloads, Phobus pack. Worldsize is medium region.
Changes I make (the ones I remember now),  set mountainpeaks to 200, Volcanos to 200, age 303 (used 404 for fun, but it hit ram cap more often), North AND south pole, Mineral scarcity to 999, Megabeast and semi-megabeast caves to 100,000 (got to have that fun), titan to 1,000, clown type to 52, Werebeast curse to 1000 (that should give some fun beasts), cavern layer openes minimum to 100, cavern layer passage density max to 0. (for big open caves), min cavernwater to 3, to ensure water, min natural cavern size to 7 max natural cavern size to 33, mountain and non-mountain caves to 800 (each) show caverns yes.
And on last I tried for fun to check whit more civ to 55 to see if there was a bigger number of unfinished sites. not really. anny help?

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Custom world gen problems-
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2014, 02:48:45 pm »

mountains and volcanoes make the elevation higher (not just in that one tile, but the surrounding areas), I suspect that might be related to your problem -- Make everywhere in the world 3x thicker than normal by jacking up those numbers super high, and you (might) have 3x as much RAM (depending on exactly how worldgen works).

Plus of course keeping track of a crazy number of caves and megabeasts as historical figures. I mean if I recall correctly, I usually have like a few thousand historical figures, and you're adding another 100,000 to that...?

This all seems pretty obvious. Don't use some insane parameters... If you insist on having the high density of caves and stuff, simply switch to a small or pocket world, and scale down all those numbers by 4 or 16, and you'll have the same local density of crap, but RAM you can handle.

I mean usually stuff only arrives at your fort within a certain radius anyway, so having a huge world doesn't benefit you at all other than the bother of genning more worlds if you don't find a site.
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Mokkun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2014, 04:06:55 pm »

I might be a bit strange. but I have always found larger worlds more fun for some reason, also they give more interesting engravings, ill try to cut down on the caves by half, and see if that helps.. (ouch that will hurt, so much that will not apear).. I have in the previous ones I have played only played in same world, whit ruins of previous forts all over the place. ;)

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2014, 04:30:02 pm »

You're going to be hugely slowing down your gameplay and likely limiting embark size and fort stuff (you might crash halfway through a fort) by forcing worldgen to keep track of an absurd number of things. I wouldn't be delicate about it -- go down a size and cut your world gen memory by 4x and be safe. It shouldn't affect anything other than engravings, seems a very small price to pay for not having a fort crash randomly some year.
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Mokkun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2014, 05:01:07 pm »

Ill try, currently down to medium, last fort from 0.40.3 (or 4), was on a Large map (whit 10 year history), so went to medium inhopes of better results. currently, whit half the mega and semi-mega caves, it uses less ram, and comes to year 303 faster, but still seem to stop on finalizing sites. ill give it some more tries before smaller world..

*Edit*
Still takes forever to finish, but now atleast it finishes. Can't wait to play the new world. now to find some nice spot.. hmm, time for legends to find one of those places whit critters whit divine stuff (non-candy)..
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 06:12:36 am by Mokkun »