Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should we update to a new DF version?

Never!
- 1 (9.1%)
Update to DF 0.40.15 when Dwarf Therapist is available.
- 8 (72.7%)
Never mind DF 0.40.15, but maybe update later.
- 2 (18.2%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11

Author Topic: Shadow empires  (Read 18512 times)

Prudent Viper

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Unprofessional
    • View Profile
Re: Shadow empires
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2014, 03:12:19 pm »

You started as a Hero, correct? Interesting skillset. So, bogeymen got you? Ouch!

I agree with the time reduction. A year is too short, but two years is too long. May I also suggest that the adventurer period be reduced to a month? Thirty days is enough to make your mark on the world if you don't waste time, but ninety allows you too much time. The game could get dragged down in waiting for people to finish.

What's your stance in danger rooms/crab wrestling/grinding? Personally I think we shouldn't allow it, but it's your call.

Embark rules. IE, won't we end up with a LOT of Good or Calm embarks?
Also, can we have a minimum distance from another player fortress for new embarks. Five squares, perhaps?

*Tryrar fires Prudent Viper. Out of a cannon. Into the sun*

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2014, 03:28:05 pm »

I agree with the time reduction. A year is too short, but two years is too long.
Yeah, generally I'll be asking for votes and such, but I think the amount of stuff I was about to get is a bit unbalanced. So for now I'll say 1 year 6 months for fortress building stage.

May I also suggest that the adventurer period be reduced to a month? Thirty days is enough to make your mark on the world if you don't waste time, but ninety allows you too much time. The game could get dragged down in waiting for people to finish.

I'll do some personal testing on that myself. Two years fortress mode took me one day; I'll see how long 30 days of adventurer mode takes (if I can survive that long).

What's your stance in danger rooms/crab wrestling/grinding? Personally I think we shouldn't allow it, but it's your call.
Dangerrooms in your player fortress to train your adventurer?
As for grinding adventurer skills I'll see how well I can manage without doing that tomorrow.

Embark rules. IE, won't we end up with a LOT of Good or Calm embarks?
I had the default balance in my world gen. I'm open to negotiation on changing that, but I think world gen tweaks should wait until we've decided on what size world we want to start with.

Also, can we have a minimum distance from another player fortress for new embarks. Five squares, perhaps?

I was thinking about requiring each player (clan) to pick a different dwarf civilization for their fortress and start near(ish) that civilization.  5 squares gap on the world map sounds reasonable to me though.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

[EDIT] Second post updated. Latest changes in italic.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 03:34:42 pm by ptb_ptb »
()==[:::::::::::::>

Prudent Viper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2014, 08:23:41 pm »

Danger rooms in Fortress mode, I mean. Also, what I meant about embarks is that everyone will just pick really easy/uninteresting places to settle because that gives them the most time to prepare an adventurer. Fortress layout will be samey too. There's not much to do about that, other than encouraging players to create distinctive embarks/fortress as a matter of pride.

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2014, 09:54:35 pm »

Danger rooms in Fortress mode, I mean. Also, what I meant about embarks is that everyone will just pick really easy/uninteresting places to settle because that gives them the most time to prepare an adventurer. Fortress layout will be samey too. There's not much to do about that, other than encouraging players to create distinctive embarks/fortress as a matter of pride.

I don't think people will have enough time to be messing around with dangerrooms for the fortresses in the first round. And, personally, my fortress survival rate for the first two years isn't big enough to care much about pride. :P I think we can safely leave that to individual discretion.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 04:59:44 am by ptb_ptb »

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2014, 04:25:32 am »

Ah, we'll already be having a different setup, since my first three or so years usually is to set the site up for a max population of 500 or so, with rooms, eating areas, redundant farms (in case of FB or tantrum), ect...

With a well-trained militia and plenty of trained warbeasties, it should be more difficult for some adventurer from a rival clan to traipse up and take over my sites.  Quantity has a certain quality all its own, after all.
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

Prudent Viper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2014, 04:49:11 am »

With a well-trained militia and plenty of trained warbeasties, it should be more difficult for some adventurer from a rival clan to traipse up and take over my sites.  Quantity has a certain quality all its own, after all.

Ah, now there's a reason to settle in a terrifying biome. Legendary axe dwarf thrall guards, anyone?

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2014, 06:13:04 am »

Hey folks. Just a quick note to say I haven't forgotten this thing. :P

I've been getting some experience in adventure mode to see how practical things are and also trying to work out what triggers bugs that crash the game. Vital stuff, I assure you. ;)

[EDIT] OK, things are a bit clearer now. First off, nobody use this bug!. Lol. Seriously, though, it's a bit gamebreaking.

Apparently if you succeed in your claim the game informs you with a pop-up telling you that you and your group are now in control of this site. Also when you also ask any NPC about the local ruler and they'll say that you rule this site.  Each site you try to claim will generate a new 'random group name' for your efforts. If you ask about groups interested in the site your new group will be listed as "vying for control". To succeed you need to chase the old leader out of town. I guess killing him would also work, but will get you a terrible reputation. You might start getting attacked on sight.

P.S. Can I get a tie breaker on the world size, please? :)
« Last Edit: September 28, 2014, 08:48:22 am by ptb_ptb »

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2014, 08:58:56 am »

Decisions on 'exploity stuff'.

Having read a bunch more in the adventurer forum I've got a better idea of what people get up to out there.

Bluud is for wampires. Please stick to water or booze while quenching your thirst (unless, you know, you are trying to catch vampirism). 'Pick up water' is also an exploit, IMO.

Backpacks aren't waterskins. Please transport water in waterskins, flasks, leather bags, buckets or (if you can carry them) barrels. Filling backpacks or cloth bags with water doesn't really make sense.

Training is fine, but no macros. If you want to spend all day wrestling crabs by the sea shore I'm not going to stop you. But you should have to suffer the boredom and carpal tunnel damage of doing it the hard way. :P
« Last Edit: September 28, 2014, 10:41:06 am by ptb_ptb »

Prudent Viper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2014, 09:26:12 am »

Wait, blood is not allowed? Really? Ok...
What about butchering sentients, then? Seems a bit weird if I can eat a dwarf's heart but not its blood.

I'm not sure why you're adding these rules, thirst is not really hard to deal with. Just drink three times at every river and you're set. Not that I'm disputing your authority, just wondering.

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2014, 09:55:01 am »

The blood thing is mostly for realism. It's no big deal, but drinking blood on it's own causes health problems and more than a cup or two will make you throw up.

It's also one of the things I saw happening more than a few times in adventurer reports, and for some reason it bugged me.

Prudent Viper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2014, 10:28:16 am »

Huh, I never knew that. I just researched it, and yes, other than the obvious problems (Aids and other diseases transmitted through bodily fluids) it does bring a lot of other health concerns mainly because of its high iron content. Haemochromatosis is what it's called, and it can cause "liver damage, buildup of fluid in the lungs, dehydration, low blood pressure, and nervous disorders."

I also found out that vampires exist, or at least a fairly large cult minority that drink each other's blood. People are strange.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vampire_lifestyle

(Also, if we're stuck on a tie regarding world size, I'll change mine from Medium to Rectangular)

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2014, 10:40:18 am »

(Also, if we're stuck on a tie regarding world size, I'll change mine from Medium to Rectangular)

Cool! Voting is locked, rectangular wins. :)

I've been doing a 'trial run' with a single adventurer and it's proven pretty darn tricky to actually take over a site without cheating. In fact I haven't actually managed it yet, although I think I nearly got there a few times.

30 game days for the adventurer phase seems like it will be long enough. I only played as long as 8 game days in the trial run before giving up.

So I think we're getting close to think about starting.  Before we do, though ...
« Last Edit: September 28, 2014, 10:45:18 am by ptb_ptb »

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2014, 10:48:53 am »

WORLDGEN REQUESTS

Anybody who is interested in taking part in this game, here is your chance to request various parameters for the world gen. So far we have:

* Rectangular world (257 x 129)
* At least 7 living dwarf civilizations at game start

I would prefer a elevation variance of 900, as that gives mountain slopes that are easy for dwarves to walk over.

Feel free to do your own world gen trials to test various parameters and you can supply actual world files that you would like to have used as well.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2014, 10:56:50 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This results in 2-4 dwarf civs (+1 species in my world) on average, at least one of which are usually guaranteed to be maimed or weakened.  Taking my favorite parts from that

-many evil sites (=<900 small and medium evils tiles)
-unless we are purposely running long worldgen, many beasts
-less vampires
-Bogeymen (really guys, no excuse for not having a companion in this version)
-lessened mineral count
-super high erosion, no periodic erosion.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2014, 11:01:27 am by pisskop »
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2014, 11:08:40 am »

If you like many beasts, maybe something like ...

[BEAST_END_YEAR:100:85]

?

Worldgen seems to end well before 300 on your settings anyway.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11