Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Spellcrafts Magic Mod for DF  (Read 5739 times)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Spellcrafts Magic Mod for DF
« on: September 23, 2014, 05:24:26 pm »

"Spellcrafts" is a mod I made up way back in 2012, which I discussed on the Spellbook - Community Interaction Repository thread, posted on DFFD, but otherwise never made a thread for. Since DF 2014 came out, I've been spending most of my free computer-lab time working on it, and I'm going to continue to update it as i go.

It's updated for version 40.13, the secrets got an overhaul, and instead of creature-based naturally-talented castes (which I might redo anyway, at a later date), you can learn spells through reactions in both adventure and fort mode play.

Link to the download:

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=6378

from the DFFD page:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

In summary, you can learn to cast interaction-based spells by either stealing the secrets from a spellcaster tower (necromancer towers) or some slightly less powerful ones from mundane learning, using the reactions ('x' > create) in adventure mode, or teach it to your dwarves in fort mode.

Recent update changed:
version 2.01 on October 2nd 2014
- fixed some issues with druids and summoners;
 1) there is no longer a creature-class requirement for becoming a druid (holdover from the 34.11 version); if your creature/caste doesn't have CREATURE_CLASS:MALE, you will default to female, and whatever you transform into will be female (if gender is applicable). If the caste has CREATURE_CLASS:MALE, you will transform into male creatures. Remember; you can add creature class tokens to a save after generating the world.
2) summoned creatures are no longer hostile to everything around them, including the caster.
3) summoners can only summon one creature at a time, by either the self-sacrifice method or "preparing" a corpse for summoning (replacing the summoner's zombie raise interaction)

Next update will probably include:
-unique zombie raise interactions for each secret type, fixes to their hostility issues.
-branching out of the summoner tree into several classes

Known issues:
1) I've been having some trouble with learning spells in fort mode; dwarves dont seem to pick them up, even though the items are produced through the interaction and boil properly. If anybody can lend a hand with that, it would be wonderful!

2) summoned monsters might not involve themselves in every fight the player gets into.

3) zombies in the spellcasters' towers are hostile to the summoner and intruders.

The mod doesn't change any vanilla files or depend on anything besides vanilla df; everything it needs or does is either present in the vanilla raws or provided with the download. Unfortunately it does rely on those vanilla raws (particularly tissues, materials, interactions, inorganics, and body definitions.) If you're playing any overhaul mod like masterwork or have otherwise removed anything, it may not work out of the box. A copy of entity_default.text has been provided which has been modified to provide features from the mod to humans and dwarves. This is in a separate folder to the rest of the files. Just copy it into raw/objects and replace the old one if you want to use it.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 05:59:58 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Redzephyr01

• Bay Watcher
  • Ferrum Cor
    • View Profile
Re: Spellcrafts Magic Mod for DF
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2014, 11:28:41 am »

This is great  :D

Rammok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2014, 06:56:03 pm »

Groovy. Most of these spells are in Dark Ages in one form or another. I'll sift though this anyway.  :)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2014, 07:31:00 pm »

Groovy. Most of these spells are in Dark Ages in one form or another. I'll sift though this anyway.  :)

I took a look at that a little bit ago. It's impressive, but I had little time to look at it all. Have you (are you the author? Alt account?) come up with a good scheme to distribute magic amongst a civilized population besides applying spells to castes of the parent species? Its the reason I removed creature-specific magic castes: its not specific to a civilization, so if a creature can be found in multiple different civs with unique cultures they'll all have access to the same magics. Or if multiple species could be spawned in the same civ (by adding multiple creature:x tags to the entity, it will choose one) each species would have access to different magic despite having entirely the same beliefs and ethics: its species-dependent, and immigrants to that civ from elsewhere won't have access to the same magic. Members of one caste wont necessarily have access to abilities of any others, and will be predictable.

One idea I'm working out is a wizard "curse" which will give magic to historical figures who could teach it, somehow, to nearby creatures as a greeting. They'll probably teach it to livestock if its not restricted, but eh, a wizard did it.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Rammok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2014, 02:07:25 pm »

I took a look at that a little bit ago. It's impressive, but I had little time to look at it all. Have you (are you the author? Alt account?) come up with a good scheme to distribute magic amongst a civilized population besides applying spells to castes of the parent species? Its the reason I removed creature-specific magic castes: its not specific to a civilization, so if a creature can be found in multiple different civs with unique cultures they'll all have access to the same magics. Or if multiple species could be spawned in the same civ (by adding multiple creature:x tags to the entity, it will choose one) each species would have access to different magic despite having entirely the same beliefs and ethics: its species-dependent, and immigrants to that civ from elsewhere won't have access to the same magic. Members of one caste wont necessarily have access to abilities of any others, and will be predictable.

One idea I'm working out is a wizard "curse" which will give magic to historical figures who could teach it, somehow, to nearby creatures as a greeting. They'll probably teach it to livestock if its not restricted, but eh, a wizard did it.

Interesting. I would be happy to get everyone who uses magic to record it in books. Even that is not something that occurs super often.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2014, 11:45:50 pm »

Would be interesting if it were possible to get them to record books. Then it needs to be known whether or not books can be found reliably in the new version if stored in non-tower sites. Had trouble finding them in the sites they were purported to have been stored in on 34.11.

Update news: next update will include a fix for summoners and a bug with the druids secret, and the last two druid classes. After that will come the split into summoner sub-classes and transformation and summoning magics through learning.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 11:47:59 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2014, 01:00:00 am »

* II posts in order to receive notifications of future thread updates.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2014, 06:02:07 pm »

Mod updated!

changes:
- some fixes for issues with summoners and druids.
- last planned additions to the druid classes.
I make Spellcrafts!