Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36]

Author Topic: Revolution III - Assassination Games - Rebel Victory!  (Read 33954 times)

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
Re: Revolution III - Assassination Games - Mission E - EuchreJack's pick
« Reply #525 on: April 16, 2021, 06:40:31 pm »

The funny thing was Toony thought Web was the bodyguard and Fallacy the commander.

This is also what I thought.
Yes! I got the two veterans!

I did think this sort of thing might have given the game away:
Toony, Euchre isn't the Commander.

Web does this all the time whether he actually knows something or not >_> But yes, this was the post where I thought Web was maybe the Bodyguard.
Yes, this is very true. That line, while technically a signal, was not meant to convey any secret meaning. It was really just to antagonize the Spies.

I figured the scum would never expect me to get the whole team right.

I thought you had deduced it due to our shitty play and was trying to focus on convincing everyone else that you might, potentially, be wrong.
I mean, a little, yes. I could say I'm that accurate, but I know I'm not. I needed to adjust my aim a little further off, so I could more naturally adjust the team to accommodate changes.

Eh, but we went on all the missions, and the Revolution won.  In game, we're probably leading opposing political parties for the newly-declared elections!
We'll just need a new revolution to fix that...

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
Re: Revolution III - Assassination Games - Rebel Victory!
« Reply #526 on: April 16, 2021, 06:41:44 pm »

Spoiler: The Toony Notebook (click to show/hide)
I cut a bunch of Commander math out and I don't have my notes from my other computer right now.

I had no pre-Mission E thoughts.

Some corrections:
I didn't actually connect FoU and Webadict together until re-reading the thread during Mission C, specifically their interactions before Mission A right when the game started. I heavily suspected FoU until then. Vector was my top Commander pick until Mission C failed. This is where I flipped Vector with FoU since Mission C failed. If Blue didn't sabotage Mission B or if Vector didn't sabotage Mission C I would have been very confused.

On re-reading the thread during Mission C:
FoU immediately voting FAIL on my team that had Blue on it for Mission A is what made me think they were the Commander kneejerk reacting to the team. Webadict saying "Jack isn't the Commander" was a very obvious "I'm the Bodyguard" signal, although I felt I could trust them before that.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2021, 06:44:24 pm by ToonyMan »

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: April 16, 2021, 07:08:04 pm »

I enjoyed reading this, even if Revolution isn't my gametype.  For the record, I had Web as Bodyguard and Toony as Commander.  I would totally believe Web true-naming the commander as an act of pure audacity.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: April 16, 2021, 07:43:42 pm »

Since I don't really see much of a strategy or theory topic, I'll discuss one of my pet theories here: Social Cover.

As you can see in this game, both the Spies and the Commander benefited from social cover.  That is, they needed someone else to say something so they could slip their message through, or attack someone, or otherwise act without being spotted/killed.  Best way to die is to stand out alone.

Players can provide social cover.  Like real-life cover, it might not benefit their team.  A tree or rock doesn't care WHO is crouching behind it.  But it can help.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: April 16, 2021, 07:48:45 pm »

Since I don't really see much of a strategy or theory topic, I'll discuss one of my pet theories here: Social Cover.

As you can see in this game, both the Spies and the Commander benefited from social cover.  That is, they needed someone else to say something so they could slip their message through, or attack someone, or otherwise act without being spotted/killed.  Best way to die is to stand out alone.

Players can provide social cover.  Like real-life cover, it might not benefit their team.  A tree or rock doesn't care WHO is crouching behind it.  But it can help.
This was actually a lot of what Toony and I were providing. It's why we gave a signal at the beginning of Mission E that no more discussion should happen. True, it could help the enemy team, but it let them know that we know this is the endgame, and that it was their turn to figure everything out.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: April 16, 2021, 07:55:43 pm »

Vector was my top Commander pick until Mission C failed. This is where I flipped Vector with FoU since Mission C failed. If Blue didn't sabotage Mission B or if Vector didn't sabotage Mission C I would have been very confused.

Yeah, that was definitely a fuckup. I felt at that point that Tric and Blue were too outed to be sent on any more missions, so I pulled the lever assuming that we were either going to have to convince town that Web was scum with Toony or successfully shoot the commander to win.

I did think about pretending to be the commander towards the beginning of the game -- make a list of who the spies were and then just play as though I was the commander. It could be cool to do that next time but I backed off of it because I didn't think I'd be familiar enough with the behavioral cues in Revolution to do it well.

It is absolutely wild trying to play with an outed scumteam and no one dying, to say the least. This felt pretty dang funky.

Psychologically, knowing that someone knew who the scumteam was kinda fucked with my head :P It's like being an exposed cockroach ... so hard ...

I shoulda figured it out when Web was saying all that crazy stuff that actually didn't reflect what I had said in thread. He got a little too excited and a little too certain towards the end.

It was a smart play to call me weak - albeit after this I don't think I can have that card used on me more. My issues mainly lie on that sometimes I find myself busy for a day or two (leaving me having to catch up) albeit my play's improved immensely since Supernatural.

Honestly, I was just trying to extend the shield of "huh? who? me?" that I can sometimes protect myself with to you. Woulda probably worked if Web hadn't been the Commander and so successfully pocketed Toony and Euchre in the first couple of posts.

Take what I said in the game with a grain of salt ... it wasn't fully dishonest (just 99% dishonest), but the reason why I said it was 100% strategically trying to save your butt. If we'd had a scumchat I would've reassured you that I was just saying things.

When I say a weak opening, though, I mean that you tend to come out in the first couple of posts without a lot of energy (this might happen because you get busy and things happen before you can join for real). Then someone (e.g. Web) gets you on your heels real quick, you have to raise your hackles to recover, and suddenly you're arguing defensively. As you get more of a feel for the game it will be easier for you to figure out how to extricate yourself from those circumstances.

For example, in this case Web literally did know you were scum, but he often pretends when a player he respects pops into the thread that he already knows your alignment, and then he tries to get you on your heels so you can't recover (if scum). So you need a ready defense for people who are going to start by flinch-checking you.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Knightwing64

• Bay Watcher
  • The Most Handsome Bay12 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: April 16, 2021, 08:46:56 pm »

I did a lot better then I thought I was going to do, So that’s a plus. And the reason it seemed like I wasn’t posting a lot was because most of the action was happening while I was still at school, So by the time I got home things had already ended and I couldn’t really add anything. But all in all, It was a good game and I would love to play with you all again.  :)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: April 16, 2021, 08:56:04 pm »

You did great Knightwing!  Everyone in the Rebellion except Web was jockeying to get shot, so you got the Lead Star.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Revolution III - Assassination Games - Mission E - EuchreJack's pick
« Reply #533 on: April 16, 2021, 09:00:46 pm »

Eh, but we went on all the missions, and the Revolution won.  In game, we're probably leading opposing political parties for the newly-declared elections!
We'll just need a new revolution to fix that...

Beware The GrooveJack Empire!
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36]