Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 89

Author Topic: Mission 18: The final sunset  (Read 169225 times)

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
Re: Mission 18: The definition of Insanity.
« Reply #435 on: October 29, 2014, 08:30:32 am »

Stand back, collect a few of the geometric fused sand bits, but not too many.

"Personally, I would suggest not doing anything that can damage the eater? Just saying, doing that kills more of us than not doing that, so far as I can tell."

"Steve specifically told us to avoid damaging the host. As did I. Obviously at least I did it wrong, so yes, no damaging the host."

Says the once more hypocrite. That rope shot could have killed Cecil.

Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: October 29, 2014, 07:18:07 pm »

Be a backup easy-bake laser person. Charge Con bonus by aiming at the Eater, in case random crap occurs.

"Ok, I've got it covered. If shit goes down, then we'll both fry Dern. Anyone able to rub two brain cells together and think of something so's we learn something? We know what happens when you punch it, so for fuck's sake don't do that again.

Temp-boy, what's it cooking at now? Might give us an idea of how much we gotta shoot it later. We'll call this the non-SNAFU temperature. Note-boy might want to write it down. I fucken love science. Especially the sort where I get to shoot shit if it fucks up."
((Temp boy is currently measuring the temperature first-hand.)
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Corsair

• Bay Watcher
  • New Zeland giveth, New Zeland taketh away
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: October 29, 2014, 09:32:36 pm »

wait till morning
So it was like a binary search, except the question is "Has the input been brutally murdered?", and it only ever returns True.

Kedly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: October 30, 2014, 07:58:22 am »

Try and get more sleep "I trust you guys will wake me if shit hits the fan again"
((No.  ER Lasers are tickle generators, and dispense hugs, loves, and puppies.))
The fedora guy has potentially lethal amounts of swag :v

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #439 on: October 30, 2014, 01:14:03 pm »

Try following the glassy trail of one of the speeding bullet fragments while the dudes over there are messing around. See where it leads in a chill, controlled fashion. And also if there's treasure to be found there.
You follow the trail for a mile or so, but it shows no sign of ending, and the camp is quickly fading in the distance. Going on alone would be...unwise.

((Hey PW, did I pick up those stone fragments like I wanted to when everyone was fleeing?))

If I didn't pick them up, go get some of those stone fragments that the light bullets left behind.
Got em. They look like small vaguely diamond shaped things with curious grooves along the vertices.

Well, scratch that, then.
"Dubley, Chief, don't walk too far into the night where we can't help you."

Look at Dern. Does it seem like he's cooling down to the level of the previous host? How long until sunrise?

Sunrise soon, fellow stalker.
When?
NOW.

He seems to be hotter by about 100 degrees, F, but is holding steady there.

Take a few of those geometric stones.
Then keep Dern nice and warm with laser.

Done and done.
"Eh. Might as well use this heat while I have it."

Use my mass amp to pick up a ball of sand and bring it near the Eater, hopefully melting it into a glob of glass. Then take the glob and try and form it into several long shards. Once that's done, float them over and let them cool off.
A few of your shards break, but you get at least a dozen.

Wait for the dawn, tend fires and keep easy-bake Laser people on task.
You spend the rest of the night jabbing the logs with the butt of a rifle and slapping the laser people in the back of the head when they look like they're falling asleep.

Be a backup easy-bake laser person. Charge Con bonus by aiming at the Eater, in case random crap occurs.

"Ok, I've got it covered. If shit goes down, then we'll both fry Dern. Anyone able to rub two brain cells together and think of something so's we learn something? We know what happens when you punch it, so for fuck's sake don't do that again.

Temp-boy, what's it cooking at now? Might give us an idea of how much we gotta shoot it later. We'll call this the non-SNAFU temperature. Note-boy might want to write it down. I fucken love science. Especially the sort where I get to shoot shit if it fucks up."
You spend the night being a back up laser person and singing 1980's songs in your head.

Stand back, collect a few of the geometric fused sand bits, but not too many.

"Personally, I would suggest not doing anything that can damage the eater? Just saying, doing that kills more of us than not doing that, so far as I can tell."
Everyone is adding to their rock collection today eh?

Sunrise comes a few hours later, a dull red leaking over the horizon and spreading across the sand, crimson heat haze boiling away the last remnants of night. The Eater remains silent and motionless, glass still forming and crackling under his feet.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: October 30, 2014, 02:43:31 pm »

Radio to the rest of my compatriots: "Team, this is Chief. Send at least one, repeat, at least one useless monkey my way. I want to follow diamond trail to source, will report on results. Cannot help with Eater of Cold right now anyway. Am one mile down the diamond trail, looks like it goes on a while. Might be valuable to scout where it goes."

Request aid. If aid arrives, continue scouting the way I'm going. Gotta find that source.

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: October 30, 2014, 02:43:48 pm »

We good to go?

See if the Eater responds to simple verbal or gestured commands. If so, start going towards the next marker on the horizon with the Eater in tow.
I can't be expected to remember the names of everyone I've tried to stab.

Bored? Go read the EVE Chronicles.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: October 30, 2014, 03:10:59 pm »

"Yes, if the host is good to go, then we are good to go."

Radio to the rest of my compatriots: "Team, this is Chief. Send at least one, repeat, at least one useless monkey my way. I want to follow diamond trail to source, will report on results. Cannot help with Eater of Cold right now anyway. Am one mile down the diamond trail, looks like it goes on a while. Might be valuable to scout where it goes."

"I am loathe to separate the team after tonight, and I'd rather keep everyone on the same path, with a vanguard. If two of the team volunteer to accompany you, fine, but otherwise I suggest belaying this until after the pit. Any volunteers for the Chief's side trek? No more than two, though. Also, who all has flight capability?"

Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: October 30, 2014, 03:58:25 pm »

"I am loathe to separate the team after tonight, and I'd rather keep everyone on the same path, with a vanguard. If two of the team volunteer to accompany you, fine, but otherwise I suggest belaying this until after the pit. Any volunteers for the Chief's side trek? No more than two, though. Also, who all has flight capability?"

"Splitting up team is wisest choice. Can keep eye on all present members easier. Can stop useless monkeys from ruining mission objectives with improved oversight. Everyone doing same thing in group when all together. No organization. Smaller teams easier to organize, greater numbers cause mobthought, loafing, panicked stupidity. Need maybe two people for heating Eater, three more for guarding things. Rest are mostly luggage."
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 04:00:02 pm by Harry Baldman »

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: October 30, 2014, 04:29:58 pm »

"Splitting up team is wisest choice. Can keep eye on all present members easier. Can stop useless monkeys from ruining mission objectives with improved oversight. Everyone doing same thing in group when all together. No organization. Smaller teams easier to organize, greater numbers cause mobthought, loafing, panicked stupidity. Need maybe two people for heating Eater, three more for guarding things. Rest are mostly luggage."
"We're having long days and nights here, and a nerve-wracking job to do. Having more people means better chances to relieve those on heating and guarding duties, better distributing the stress. More people also means more eyes to watch out for troubles and more arms to subdue those who would cause trouble. Splitting the team in half increases those stresses for everyone involved. Furthermore, the desert may have more dangers for us to find or for the Eater to call, and in most cases, a larger team is better equipped to handle dangers. I would feel differently if we were closer to the Pit, but as things are, we have still a couple of days to go."

Direforged Original
Castle Otu

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: October 30, 2014, 05:13:12 pm »

"Haven't you guys seen any horror movies? Splitting up is the worst thing that you can do. Besides, I think our diplomatic counterparts would prefer us to be in one group, so we don't fuck up and cause disasters in two areas at once. Fucking up in one place is bad enough, but it's easier to contain."

Keep guarding the Host from any outside interference, and especially guard it from my teammates.
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: October 30, 2014, 06:05:36 pm »

""I can fly. So can Feyri. I think that's it.
Sorry Chief, I'd go with, but I have to keep Dern warm."

Keep Dern warm.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 10:05:59 pm by NAV »
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Nunzillor

« Reply #447 on: October 30, 2014, 06:28:38 pm »

((Huh, I guess the Eater didn't return to its previous temperature after switching hosts.  My bad.  I still think we should heat it at night, though...))

Tek is pleasantly surprised to find that he is still capable of waking up, seemingly no additional disasters having occurred while he slept.  Though the Chief's suggestion piques Tek's interest, the blue-accented salvager has some significant reservations.

"Tek thinks Gorat makes some excellent points about reduced ability to deal with disasters as a split group.  At the same time, however, Tek believes it may be interesting to investigate the locations these shards came from.  Perhaps someone with flight capability can fly up until the origin points are visible, and tell us what they see?

Alternatively, Steve, do you have eyes on this planet and our location?  Can you see if anything interesting exists at any of the shards' points of origin?  We need to see if it is likely that the reward merits the risk."

Ask Steve a question.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 06:42:53 pm by Nunzillor »

Kedly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: October 30, 2014, 08:41:24 pm »

"I don't think the trail of glass is going anywhere soon, I vote for sticking together until the original mission is complete, if Steve thinks it might yeild interesting results, I'm sure he would let us check out the origin of the orbs afterwards"
((No.  ER Lasers are tickle generators, and dispense hugs, loves, and puppies.))
The fedora guy has potentially lethal amounts of swag :v

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: October 30, 2014, 10:05:44 pm »

Aye, I don't think you're like to find much more than a bit of glass and a lot of sand if you venture out. What do you hope to find, and how would it help us?

Though I must admit, I wonder about our visitors in the night. If they heated up the Eater, doesn't that make them beneficial? Why did they come? Is there something we're missing?

Steve, anything in the literature about this sort of thing? I know the tales are mixed and confused, but any information is better than none.
I can't be expected to remember the names of everyone I've tried to stab.

Bored? Go read the EVE Chronicles.
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 89