Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 89

Author Topic: Mission 18: The final sunset  (Read 169299 times)

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
Re: Mission 18: The definition of Insanity.
« Reply #495 on: November 06, 2014, 10:35:03 am »

((Sambo is with the main group and the Eater at the ruins, where... nobody is doing anything questionable with the Eater that I can see.))

"I'm not worried about supplies. I'm worried about our friendly neighborhood fire elemental."

Short rest, away from any shade or cool spot, then onwards to the next marker.

Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: November 06, 2014, 12:21:01 pm »

But when our lasers run dry and we're out of chem-logs, we've got no way to keep it under control. That's what I meant by supplies.
I can't be expected to remember the names of everyone I've tried to stab.

Bored? Go read the EVE Chronicles.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: November 06, 2014, 01:19:19 pm »

"There's more to it than just supplies, though, as we've seen."

Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #498 on: November 06, 2014, 02:06:31 pm »

Do a depth check with just the rope, then. Check the rope for any residue from the shaft immediately afterward.

Then, if the pit is less than six to nine meters deep, start digging a hole right next to the shaft. Press the two idlers and Dubley into digging duty as well.

If it is more than nine meters deep, check how large the suit lights are, and if there aren't any smaller ones - possibly for illuminating suit displays, or a backlight for the wristpad, or something we can improvise in some other fashion. Same for cameras. Anybody got a cameye to spare, mayhap? Maybe Dubley's got some miniature additional cameras installed on his robobody we could use? At any rate, try to improvise something. Smoke a little for inspiration if nothing seems to be working.

In the middle of this, if Jason tries to do anything incredibly ill-advised such as combine two great flavors of alien fuckery offhandedly, beat him mercilessly with my stun baton until he submits after giving a polite warning (provided he ignores it, naturally).

A quick depth check finds that it is about 6 meters  deep, or at least thats where the rope stops. So you start digging. It's not easy work, digging in sand. The sand just keeps flowing back into the hole. It takes you an hour to even get a meter deep, and thats with several people helping.

Charge dynamic will bonus first. Y'know, because casual off-handed alien fuckery is only okay in college, not on mission. Oh, and help with whatever stuff they're doing if it won't interrupt charging my bonus. And if someone tries to bludgeon me at some point, introduce them to the Noisy Cricket.
You start digging and making the opposite of come hither eyes at the Chief and her stun baton.

There must be a camera or light less than two inches somewhere that we can obtain. Mk1, mk3, robot body, datapad, wristpad? Or are small cameras and lights an ancient lost technology?

Basically, HB said everything already. Help him with that stuff and smack anybody about to anything stupid.

The cameras in bodies and suits feed into their suit computer. Separate them and it won't work. Or it will but the signal won't go anywhere. If you had a data pad you could butcher it and try to make it work like that.

"Just wondering.... How many of these bloody things are there? We heard there was one a while back that pissed off into space. Now we've got this one. There's enough of 'em that there's entirely fucked up confusing tales about 'em all throughout these poor prick's history. You reckon that that hole could be a fuck-off-into-space launching hole? Or a hot-shit-coming-through hatching hole? Could be a tiny-bit-of-Daddy-Eater's-love-juice meteor hole. Or just a keep-your-dick-cool-in-the-desert hole? Are these things just little bits of not-cold when they're not-Dern? Are there fuck-tonnes of them under the ground? Might be something we should look pretty closely into. Wonder what'll happen when I fire a laser rifle down there?"

Sambo intuitively ponders the purpose behind the hole while keeping an eye on the Eater for any reaction.
Sambo, where are you? Because the eater and that hole harry is digging at are a half dozen miles away from each other.

Stay away from the hut.  Shine light lamps on the interior and examine it closely.
By hut I assume you mean the covered ruins.  There's nothing inside except sand. The structure is nothing but three large stone pillars with a stone slab roof held up between them. The roof casts some shade. The pillars are carved but not with any language or symbols that you can understand.

((Sambo is with the main group and the Eater at the ruins, where... nobody is doing anything questionable with the Eater that I can see.))

"I'm not worried about supplies. I'm worried about our friendly neighborhood fire elemental."

Short rest, away from any shade or cool spot, then onwards to the next marker.

"I vote that we see if there is a way around this, taking the "eater of cold" somewhere very cold, sounds like a bad plan"
It's just cooler than the sun beating down on our heads as we walk beside our magical space heater, nothing sinister about it. Best to keep the Eater out of it all the same, though.

"We need to wait for the others to catch up"
have a rest in the shade while waiting for rest of team, if alcohol is available partake optimally in the form of a margarita
"No matter how tempting, don't enter the shade. We can take a bit of a break, but we can't afford to wait for the others to catch up. We are slower than them anyways, so they will."
Gorat's got the right of it, we can't stop. I don't know that our supplies will last us to the destination if we make good time; and if they give out it'll be the failure of the mission more like than not, and good odds we'll all lose our lives to boot. The ones who went out to investigate sand in a desert made their choice.

Examine the horizon for the next marker, or the path of the walkway if it's obvious enough. Keep the Eater out of the shadows as much as possible and go around shadows if it's not much out of the way, and keep on marchin' after our very quick break.

The team with the eater finds the next marker on the horizon, a barely visible black dot amongst a sea of yellow white dunes,  and starts heading for it. At this point the day is dragging on into the middle of the afternoon and twilight will reach them before they reach the marker. The Chief's team is far from the main team and off the main path. Even if they hurried, they wouldn't make it back to the team before night fall.

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: November 06, 2014, 03:16:07 pm »

"This is just like making sand castles when I was a kid. Except it's more like digging a giant hole that keeps trying to close it self and it isn't enjoyable at all. And I'm doing it with one hand and a useless tube on my other arm. You know what, I'm going to go see if this Shackle can turn into a shovel. Or maybe a vacuum cleaner. Over there. Because if it explodes, I don't want it killing everybody." Jason mutters.

Move away from the group, maybe 20 or 30 yards or so. Then hold the rock under the shroud. With that dynamic will bonus I charged.
Because everything is Megaman when you have an arm cannon.

Nunzillor

« Reply #500 on: November 06, 2014, 03:29:45 pm »

"Should we keep walking until twilight, and then set up camp?"

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: November 06, 2014, 03:31:24 pm »

"Should we keep walking until twilight, and then set up camp?"
I'd think so. No sense in wasting daylight.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: November 06, 2014, 04:01:39 pm »

"Be careful Jason."

Keep an eye on Jason and remove his shroud if he gets posessed or anything.
Keep digging. I have an exoskeleton so that should speed things up. This is the third time Dubley's mined in the service of ARM.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: November 06, 2014, 04:06:04 pm »

Observe Jason from a distance. See what happens to the mook, be prepared to duck and cover. Possibly dive into the newly-made hole. Hand Dubley the Testament just in case.

Also, just how sandy is the desert here? We talking Sahara levels, or more of a New Mexico type of deal? Keep digging in any case.

And how about the light? Can we get a small enough light from a wristpad or some other piece of available electrical equipment to take a look down into the pit?
« Last Edit: November 06, 2014, 04:21:02 pm by Harry Baldman »

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: November 06, 2014, 04:09:36 pm »

((I don't think it's a pit. Pretty sure it's just a tube of glass that got flash baked when the Eater fragment woke up and shot up out of the ground. Which means when we find the bottom the whole thing will look like a giant mercury thermometer without the mercury. Then we can offer checkups to giant space monsters.))

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: November 06, 2014, 04:11:37 pm »

((I don't think it's a pit. Pretty sure it's just a tube of glass that got flash baked when the Eater fragment woke up and shot up out of the ground. Which means when we find the bottom the whole thing will look like a giant mercury thermometer without the mercury. Then we can offer checkups to giant space monsters.))

((Hey, maybe there's black evil liquid misery down there, collected from slumbering eldritch gods. One never knows.

In addition, piecewise hinted at fuckery happening when you look at that fragment, so who knows what could be down there if a bit of sand the fragment touched for a fraction of a second holds that much bad juju.))
« Last Edit: November 06, 2014, 04:13:17 pm by Harry Baldman »

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: November 06, 2014, 04:13:14 pm »

((Hey, maybe there's black evil liquid misery down there, collected from slumbering eldritch gods. One never knows.))
((And then we can put it in the giant thermometer so we have something to gauge the temperature of the sick space monsters. It's brilliant!  :P))

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: November 06, 2014, 04:51:35 pm »

Keep moving the Eater, keep guarding it, and keep an eye out for any trouble.
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: November 06, 2014, 05:19:31 pm »

Keep moving until twilight. Make sure that everyone makes sure that their heat guns are in working order and pointing at Derneater.

Direforged Original
Castle Otu

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: November 06, 2014, 06:24:47 pm »

Keep moving until twilight. Make sure that everyone makes sure that their heat guns are in working order and pointing at Derneater.
x2 Combo. Also work out watch shifts while we walk.

Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 89