Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 89

Author Topic: Mission 18: The final sunset  (Read 167181 times)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Re: Mission 18: The definition of Insanity.
« Reply #600 on: November 25, 2014, 02:33:59 pm »

Climb down and investigate the chamber. Keep an eye out for ancient lost technology or graffitti or anything like that.

Help Chief and anyone else down.

And carve "Dubley was here" into the wall.

I'm just gonna stay outside the hole incase anything goes wrong and we have to dig them out.
Maybe leave the two less involved members of this search party outside. Climb down in there and take a look. Without the lights on at first, and if I can't see anything, turn them on.
The Chief and Dubs lower themselves down into the hole while leaving those less inclined to risk their lives on the surface.  The inside of the chamber is interesting; it's not just an isolated chamber, but a larger chamber attached to a tunnel which intersects it. It looks very similar to a subterranean lava tunnel, a sort of oddly shaped but smooth tube  with walls made of fused glass. The chamber is a good size, but the tube itself is just large enough to move through an a crawl or duckwalk. The walls are oddly colored, not just clear but all sorts of ruddy reds and yellows and greens. The floor is littered with stones similar to those left by the tiny balls of light, but of various sizes. Some are as large as bowling balls.

"I uh think that is um not normal should we deal with that or let it do whatever?"
follow (a sane) group consensus on how to deal with all that stuff
YOU CAME TO THE WRONG GAME MOTHER FUCKER

((Demn!))

Assuming I am awake/woken up:
Ask Steve to extrapolate the Eater's course and probable target. Give Steve any data he needs to do so.

>Assuming it continues going straight there is what looks like a small volcanic caldera in that direction. But it's 30 miles away.

Startled, Vincent shouts "Everyone up!! The Eater is taking off!!" Vincent then quickly follows after the Eater, but only follows for now, he doesn't engage continuing to fire his heat gun at it

((Who thinks he should try and grab and pull the eater to the ground, I'm not terribly fond of my character dying, but aren't we supposed to keep the eater on the ground?))
You run after the thing, firing the heat gun at it, though to no noticeable effect. The thing isn't getting any hotter, or at least not visibly so, but it's certainly not slowing down either.

God dammit. God fucking damn all this alien bullshit.

Ask Steve to extrapolate the Eater's course and probable target. Give Steve any data he needs to do so.[/b]
Good idea, but too slow. We need whoever we have that's fast to get out in front if it, see if there's some landmark it's advancing towards. If you've got rockets, get to it, and phone it in to Steve while you're on your way.

I want some fire in front of this thing, and I want as much heat out of those guns as you think you can safety put on this thing, and I want it now. If you've got a better idea then speak your piece, if you don't have one then let's get to it!

Grab a Chemlog, try to get some distance in front of the Eater and set it on fire. If other people come along, help them direct a sort of crescent that the Eater would need to go into.
You get the log down but the eater just kind of brushes over it and keeps going.

"Tek has this MFM... He will use it carefully."

Focus intensely and heat the Eater's torso to extremely reasonably hot but non-lethal levels.
"NONONONONONONO! NO MFM! NO MFM! DO NOT DO IT!"

Use my mass amp to knock the Eater over, and hopefully break the trance it's under.

((Edit, forgot I had an Exo dynamic bonus.))
Tek starts to concentrate before morul kicks him in the back of the knee and tackles him to the ground.

"NO NO NO NO NO. LET ME DO IT!"

You concentrate on the eater and manage a good psychokinetic shove right between its shoulder blades. It lurches forward, slows, then weebles back up like a buoy, rocking back and forth and side to side as some unseen center of gravity pulls it back into place. It starts gaining speed again as soon as it's steady.

Run after the Eater and zap it, stay as close as possible but back off if he does anything unusual.
Zap? What do you have that Zaps? Laser? I guess. You fire the laser at it, on the standard low heat, high dispersion mode, but it doesn't really do anything.

Um...um...
Shoot my plasma(-ish)? rifle at the Eater ._.
I haven't fully read up! D:

Aid other teammates at any higher-officer's order!

Lets see if anyone has orders for Ms. Feyri.

Wh-what's going on? Why is the Eater flying?

Wake up, start making notes.

You jerk straight up out of bed and scream "SCIENCE!"

Grab my laser and the backpack generator and run after the Eater. Set the laser to 60% power and medium dispersion and start firing at it if no one else is in much danger of being hit. If it's travelling quicker than me, keep firing at it anyway,  assuming the laser will disperse to "not deadly hot" levels soon.

"Oi! Get back here you freak! Someone give me my fucken laser, NOW!"
60% power and only medium dispersion?

You fire for a few seconds and manage to give the eater second degree burns on most of one side of their body. The eater vanishes into a haze of steam as it starts boiling the blood leaking out of it's wounds.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #601 on: November 25, 2014, 02:53:57 pm »

Run after the Eater and zap it, stay as close as possible but back off if he does anything unusual.
Zap? What do you have that Zaps? Laser? I guess. You fire the laser at it, on the standard low heat, high dispersion mode, but it doesn't really do anything.
((Of course the laser!))
Spoiler: Zap! (click to show/hide)

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: November 25, 2014, 03:11:43 pm »

"It is like we are arcologists, you and I. Watch me now. I will touch large stone. Shoot me slightly if needed. If I turn into Eater, follow me and see where I go."

Take a deep breath, then touch one of the larger stones in the room. Make sure Dubley keeps an eye and a gun on me as I do so.

If nothing adverse begins to happen or is hinted at by any feelings, grab the large stone, deposit in inventory. Or give it to Dubley, he seems to have plenty of room.

Also, is the tube the vertical tunnel? Does it continue further down? If yes, and I can check it in the same turn, see how far down does it appear to go - first look into it, then try the rope+camera test.

If it's horizontal and I can check it, simply look into it with the light.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: November 25, 2014, 03:31:12 pm »

"Any relevant facts or myths about it? Site of the first Eater or last capital, perhaps?"
Ask Steve. Amp-shovel sand over the host, not enough to bury him, but to buy time.

Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: November 25, 2014, 05:45:15 pm »

"Sure thing Chief.
Hope this tube doesn't become a deathtube. Hey, weren't you the one asking about deathtubes in the shuttle?"

Watch Chief as she picks up the stone. Restrain her if it possesses her, and put it in my bag if it's safe.
Then begin marching down the tunnel. If I can, prepare a dynamic aux bonus for evacuating the tunnel via jetpack in case it get's hot in here.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Nunzillor

« Reply #605 on: November 25, 2014, 07:30:43 pm »

"Ouch.  That hurt!  Tek likes you, Morul, but not like that.  Please don't do that.

Is there any way that we can salvage the situation?  Perhaps if you, Gorat, make a wall of sand in front of the Eater using your amp?"
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 07:38:42 pm by Nunzillor »

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: November 25, 2014, 07:53:20 pm »

"Hey, arsewipes playing in the hole. The Eater's just knicked off from us, vap'ed Dern's body and might be going down a volcano's hole. Get ready for it to get pretty fucking hot in your cozy little cunt of a life."

Sambo keeps running after the Eater, cranks his laser up to full power/medium dispersion, and keeps firing. If the Eater does go into the volcano cauldera, or any hole within 30 miles, Sambo keeps firing, but keeps his distance (a good 100' or so, maybe more).

"Zap! motherfucker!"

((I am fine with it if those are Sambo's last words.))

Edit: Laser power edit. No reason to suicide. Not funny enough yet.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2014, 04:20:40 pm by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

Kedly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: November 25, 2014, 09:03:45 pm »

"Holy shit! Thank god I didn't attempt to tackle that thing! As dangerous as amp usage is, I think we need to attempt to restrain it slash hold it to the ground via some good ol' space magic... someone ask Steve to remind us what he knows about the known containment procedures for this thing" Continue chasing after the eater, discontinue wasting my battery, and for the love of god do not touch the thing that is boiling it's own blood
((No.  ER Lasers are tickle generators, and dispense hugs, loves, and puppies.))
The fedora guy has potentially lethal amounts of swag :v

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: November 26, 2014, 02:24:23 am »

"Sure thing Chief.
Hope this tube doesn't become a deathtube. Hey, weren't you the one asking about deathtubes in the shuttle?"

"I was. Deathtubes are always important to know about. Also, thought. Hold this, use it if needed."

Hand my stun baton to Dubley for possible use. You never know!

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: November 26, 2014, 04:26:45 pm »

"I think I'll go the other way in the tunnels- more coverage that way."

Enter the hole carefully, making sure I can get out without too much issue. Then, if Chief is fine, head into the intersecting tunnel in the opposite direction of the Chief and Dubley. Also, if the Chief is fine, pick up a few of the smaller/medium size stones and put them in my inventory.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: November 26, 2014, 11:22:11 pm »

Steve, where is it going. WHY is it going? Between the heat-balls coming out of the desert and this thing moving towards a volcano...either someone else is trying to cook this thing, or our intel is god-awful and we're missing something major. Can you give us ANYTHING?

Scurry after the Eater.
I can't be expected to remember the names of everyone I've tried to stab.

Bored? Go read the EVE Chronicles.

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: November 27, 2014, 12:56:26 am »

"Shit, why won't you stay down!"

Use my mass amp to assist in covering the Eater in sand.
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Corsair

• Bay Watcher
  • New Zeland giveth, New Zeland taketh away
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: November 27, 2014, 05:22:13 am »

"I uh dont know what to do"
slow chase of fire-murder-thulu slightly and consider what to do
« Last Edit: November 27, 2014, 05:30:17 am by Corsair »
So it was like a binary search, except the question is "Has the input been brutally murdered?", and it only ever returns True.

Nunzillor

« Reply #613 on: November 27, 2014, 11:57:27 am »

Turn on light lamps to act as fog lights, helping others target the Eater through the steam.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #614 on: November 28, 2014, 02:06:23 pm »

"It is like we are arcologists, you and I. Watch me now. I will touch large stone. Shoot me slightly if needed. If I turn into Eater, follow me and see where I go."

Take a deep breath, then touch one of the larger stones in the room. Make sure Dubley keeps an eye and a gun on me as I do so.

If nothing adverse begins to happen or is hinted at by any feelings, grab the large stone, deposit in inventory. Or give it to Dubley, he seems to have plenty of room.

Also, is the tube the vertical tunnel? Does it continue further down? If yes, and I can check it in the same turn, see how far down does it appear to go - first look into it, then try the rope+camera test.

If it's horizontal and I can check it, simply look into it with the light.

"Sure thing Chief.

Watch Chief as she picks up the stone. Restrain her if it possesses her, and put it in my bag if it's safe.
Then begin marching down the tunnel. If I can, prepare a dynamic aux bonus for evacuating the tunnel via jetpack in case it get's hot in here.

The chief touches one of the larger stones. It's slightly warm and so perfectly smooth that lifting it up is far harder then she expected; like lifting a block of greased ice.

The tube is horizontal, like a tunnel that bisects the room. You look down both sides but see no end to it in the short distance your light can reach.

Dubley starts marching down one of the tunnels...well, marching as best he can in a 3 foot tall passage. He gets about 50 feet before the tunnel splits into 3 more tunnels, one of which is no more then a foot wide shaft snaking down off the main tunnel at a 40 degree angle.

Something rumbles in the distance.

"Any relevant facts or myths about it? Site of the first Eater or last capital, perhaps?"
Ask Steve. Amp-shovel sand over the host, not enough to bury him, but to buy time.

>Nothing that specific. Supposedly this entire area was the site of the first capital and the landing place of the first eater. Anywhere around here might be significant.

You psychically grab a huge mass of sand, lifting it into the air above the advancing eater and then releasing it in a steady stream, burying the thing without just smashing it.

(In the case of the other system, he would have managed to bury it about halfway, since he only rolled a 3.)

"Hey, arsewipes playing in the hole. The Eater's just knicked off from us, vap'ed Dern's body and might be going down a volcano's hole. Get ready for it to get pretty fucking hot in your cozy little cunt of a life."

Sambo keeps running after the Eater, cranks his laser up to full power/medium dispersion, and keeps firing. If the Eater does go into the volcano cauldera, or any hole within 30 miles, Sambo keeps firing, but keeps his distance (a good 100' or so, maybe more).

"Zap! motherfucker!"

((I am fine with it if those are Sambo's last words.))

Edit: Laser power edit. No reason to suicide. Not funny enough yet.
Eater is buried for the moment.

Also, you've clearly got a death wish.

"Holy shit! Thank god I didn't attempt to tackle that thing! As dangerous as amp usage is, I think we need to attempt to restrain it slash hold it to the ground via some good ol' space magic... someone ask Steve to remind us what he knows about the known containment procedures for this thing" Continue chasing after the eater, discontinue wasting my battery, and for the love of god do not touch the thing that is boiling it's own blood
For the moment the eater has stopped moving, buried somewhere under the sand.

"I think I'll go the other way in the tunnels- more coverage that way."

Enter the hole carefully, making sure I can get out without too much issue. Then, if Chief is fine, head into the intersecting tunnel in the opposite direction of the Chief and Dubley. Also, if the Chief is fine, pick up a few of the smaller/medium size stones and put them in my inventory.
You manage to get a few of the smaller ones, because you can get your hands around them, but the medium ones are too slippery; they just keep squirting out of between your fingers.

You take the other tunnel. It stays singular for the entire 50 foot length you get, but the ceiling does start to get much shorter, forcing you to crawl.

Steve, where is it going. WHY is it going? Between the heat-balls coming out of the desert and this thing moving towards a volcano...either someone else is trying to cook this thing, or our intel is god-awful and we're missing something major. Can you give us ANYTHING?

Scurry after the Eater.

>I wouldn't know. All I can say is that you probably shouldn't trust local tradition implicitly. Who knows how they may have misinterpreted the situation. Humans do have a bad habit of interpreting things as always being related to them.

"Shit, why won't you stay down!"

Use my mass amp to assist in covering the Eater in sand.
[6+1]
You drop several tons of sand onto the eater in one go, draining basically your entire "brain ammo" and maybe killing the eater. Hard to tell. It certainly didn't look healthy.

(In the other system he would have dropped the sand in a more controlled way but overextended himself and maybe ended up unconscious.)

"I uh dont know what to do"
slow chase of fire-murder-thulu slightly and consider what to do
Turn on light lamps to act as fog lights, helping others target the Eater through the steam.
And you guys were rendered mostly useless now.

The burial mound that our friendly amp user's formed around the eater is shifting slightly and glowing very dully with internal heat. Steam is still hissing up through it, forming little volcanic vents in the top.

Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 89