Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 89

Author Topic: Mission 18: The final sunset  (Read 167177 times)

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
Re: Mission 18: The definition of Insanity.
« Reply #450 on: October 31, 2014, 02:18:54 am »

"We're having long days and nights here, and a nerve-wracking job to do. Having more people means better chances to relieve those on heating and guarding duties, better distributing the stress. More people also means more eyes to watch out for troubles and more arms to subdue those who would cause trouble. Splitting the team in half increases those stresses for everyone involved. Furthermore, the desert may have more dangers for us to find or for the Eater to call, and in most cases, a larger team is better equipped to handle dangers. I would feel differently if we were closer to the Pit, but as things are, we have still a couple of days to go."

"Job is not nerve-wracking, as you say. Job is easy and does not need thought. Unless person is cripplingly stupid, like two people who are dead already. It is standing around without work that is dangerous. Intelligence of crowd is intelligence of dumbest member divided by number of people. And stress is healthy to have. Relaxation is more dangerous."

"Haven't you guys seen any horror movies? Splitting up is the worst thing that you can do. Besides, I think our diplomatic counterparts would prefer us to be in one group, so we don't fuck up and cause disasters in two areas at once. Fucking up in one place is bad enough, but it's easier to contain."

Keep guarding the Host from any outside interference, and especially guard it from my teammates.

"Splitting up is best thing we can do. Improves agency and oversight. Allows for more research per hour. Study potential plateaus at about eight people next to Eater. Rest are luggage."

She points at Feyri.

"Case in point, good example. Give me her, or give me note-taker, or maybe someone else who isn't doing anything. Or maybe take comatose woman and replace one who would like coming with."

"I don't think the trail of glass is going anywhere soon, I vote for sticking together until the original mission is complete, if Steve thinks it might yeild interesting results, I'm sure he would let us check out the origin of the orbs afterwards"

"Wind may blow sand all over trail, making impossible to find. And this random patch of desert looks like any other random patch of desert. Might not find again."

Aye, I don't think you're like to find much more than a bit of glass and a lot of sand if you venture out. What do you hope to find, and how would it help us?

"Changes in earth caused by slumbering frightmares. Interesting crystal formations hinting at shard shape, nature and activity. Ideas on range of influence of Eater of Cold. Data."
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 02:42:02 am by Harry Baldman »

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: October 31, 2014, 09:17:34 am »

"Job is not nerve-wracking, as you say. Job is easy and does not need thought. Unless person is cripplingly stupid, like two people who are dead already. It is standing around without work that is dangerous. Intelligence of crowd is intelligence of dumbest member divided by number of people. And stress is healthy to have. Relaxation is more dangerous."
"It was a simple, no thought task, or so we thought. Then we screwed it up and caused a disaster. Now, it no longer is a simple, no thought task. Now, we know it is a monotone task where a simple mistake invites danger, and especially those who do heat the host know that it is their responsibility to keep the danger at bay. They know that if they screw up, it is their fault that a disaster is coming. If they're good as they should be, they can distance themselves from that thought without reducing their effectiveness, and it's not nerve-wracking for them. If they're not, they either shove that thought away, and forget its importance, or they let the thought overwhelm themselves, become overeager to prove themselves to not be the useless monkeys you condemn them to be. Either way, they become more prone to making mistakes.

Yes, it is possible that there is important information to be gained, but that just makes it more important that your group is up to the task while also not compromising our group. Hence why there should be two people who can decide for themselves to accompany you, rather than you drag along someone who can't help you, and would hinder a small group more than a large group.
"

Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Kedly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: October 31, 2014, 01:23:20 pm »

Vincent shifts uncomfortably before joking "No pressure or anything" he then looks at the battery charge on the heat gun
((No.  ER Lasers are tickle generators, and dispense hugs, loves, and puppies.))
The fedora guy has potentially lethal amounts of swag :v

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: October 31, 2014, 05:48:08 pm »

"I'll go with him, as I'm not that much use helping with the host here, but I am a bit worried about us getting lost if we wander too far."

Han looks around, actually wanting to be away from the Eater.

Join the Chief's Sidequest, if allowed.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 11:57:36 pm by Doomblade187 »
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: October 31, 2014, 09:44:48 pm »

Do whatever Gorat says.

((I'll be out of internet range until Tuesday, so could you control Sambo for a couple of days player-of-Gorat?))
It's a game. Have fun.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: October 31, 2014, 10:06:02 pm »

"Feyri, could you please point this at Dern until I get back?
Lend Feyri the Raduga and auto her to keep the EoC warm.
"Alright Chief, I'm coming with you."
Join Chief's little sidequest.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: October 31, 2014, 10:34:03 pm »

"Not much I can do here with my amp or Shackle without risking a dead Host. I guess a walk sound nice if you folks don't need me here." Jason remarks.

Tag along on the side quest if nobody objects. Otherwise stand around and offer moral support. Maybe with a speech roll.

((Gonna stick with Dubley. If shit goes down with the EoC without us around, we know Vincent is bad luck. If it happens to us, then it is me or Dubley. Probably Dubley :P))
Because everything is Megaman when you have an arm cannon.

Kedly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: October 31, 2014, 11:09:37 pm »

((Threatening us with a speech roll? D= YOU CAD!))
((No.  ER Lasers are tickle generators, and dispense hugs, loves, and puppies.))
The fedora guy has potentially lethal amounts of swag :v

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: October 31, 2014, 11:57:45 pm »

Action edited.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: November 01, 2014, 11:32:36 am »

"Good. Three people for your command, chief." Gorat says, unable to repress the "command" dig.

Chief and her three volunteers can go. The rest should move towards the next mark unless there are objections.

Action for Feyri: Accept the Raduga. Be ready to heat the host.

Action for Sambo: Triple check that Feyri's borrowed Raduga is ready to heat the host.

« Last Edit: November 01, 2014, 12:04:55 pm by Knight Otu »
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #460 on: November 01, 2014, 03:14:09 pm »

Radio to the rest of my compatriots: "Team, this is Chief. Send at least one, repeat, at least one useless monkey my way. I want to follow diamond trail to source, will report on results. Cannot help with Eater of Cold right now anyway. Am one mile down the diamond trail, looks like it goes on a while. Might be valuable to scout where it goes."

Request aid. If aid arrives, continue scouting the way I'm going. Gotta find that source.
You keep going, treking off several miles in the other direction, following the trail. Whatever this thing was, it was moving fast, you cover a lot of ground without the trail ending, but finally come upon what seems to be the source. It's a small, glassy shaft going straight into the sand, as though the ball of light shot up from somewhere underground and off in the direction  of the eater. You can't see anything in the shaft, but it seems deep.

"Haven't you guys seen any horror movies? Splitting up is the worst thing that you can do. Besides, I think our diplomatic counterparts would prefer us to be in one group, so we don't fuck up and cause disasters in two areas at once. Fucking up in one place is bad enough, but it's easier to contain."

Keep guarding the Host from any outside interference, and especially guard it from my teammates.
Done.

((Huh, I guess the Eater didn't return to its previous temperature after switching hosts.  My bad.  I still think we should heat it at night, though...))

Tek is pleasantly surprised to find that he is still capable of waking up, seemingly no additional disasters having occurred while he slept.  Though the Chief's suggestion piques Tek's interest, the blue-accented salvager has some significant reservations.

"Tek thinks Gorat makes some excellent points about reduced ability to deal with disasters as a split group.  At the same time, however, Tek believes it may be interesting to investigate the locations these shards came from.  Perhaps someone with flight capability can fly up until the origin points are visible, and tell us what they see?

Alternatively, Steve, do you have eyes on this planet and our location?  Can you see if anything interesting exists at any of the shards' points of origin?  We need to see if it is likely that the reward merits the risk."

Ask Steve a question.
Steve's eyes are the ship for now (he hasn't broken into any satellite networks) and you're on the wrong side of the planet for the moment. What he would send back is basically a semi-grainy image of what Harry is seeing right now, though.

Aye, I don't think you're like to find much more than a bit of glass and a lot of sand if you venture out. What do you hope to find, and how would it help us?

Though I must admit, I wonder about our visitors in the night. If they heated up the Eater, doesn't that make them beneficial? Why did they come? Is there something we're missing?

Steve, anything in the literature about this sort of thing? I know the tales are mixed and confused, but any information is better than none.
Nothing particularly, other then references to those fragments of the old eater that the king mentioned. It might be them.

Vincent shifts uncomfortably before joking "No pressure or anything" he then looks at the battery charge on the heat gun
I think it should be around 60%

"I'll go with him, as I'm not that much use helping with the host here, but I am a bit worried about us getting lost if we wander too far."

Han looks around, actually wanting to be away from the Eater.

Join the Chief's Sidequest, if allowed.
I'll assume you are and that you did.
"Feyri, could you please point this at Dern until I get back?
Lend Feyri the Raduga and auto her to keep the EoC warm.
"Alright Chief, I'm coming with you."
Join Chief's little sidequest.
And you too.

Do whatever Gorat says.

((I'll be out of internet range until Tuesday, so could you control Sambo for a couple of days player-of-Gorat?))
Bow Chika Bow wow.

"Not much I can do here with my amp or Shackle without risking a dead Host. I guess a walk sound nice if you folks don't need me here." Jason remarks.

Tag along on the side quest if nobody objects. Otherwise stand around and offer moral support. Maybe with a speech roll.

((Gonna stick with Dubley. If shit goes down with the EoC without us around, we know Vincent is bad luck. If it happens to us, then it is me or Dubley. Probably Dubley :P))
You go with him too.

"Good. Three people for your command, chief." Gorat says, unable to repress the "command" dig.

Chief and her three volunteers can go. The rest should move towards the next mark unless there are objections.

Action for Feyri: Accept the Raduga. Be ready to heat the host.

Action for Sambo: Triple check that Feyri's borrowed Raduga is ready to heat the host.

Ok so, we'll keep you guys synced, time wise. Chief went about 3 hours out from the team, so you guys will move 3 hours forward. Which is a big lot of nothing, honestly. Lots of walking in the desert. You don't even reach the next pillar, though you can see it. It looks more like a small ruin then just a pillar.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: November 01, 2014, 03:24:56 pm »

"Marginally interesting. Might be more down there."

Shine a light into the hole and look into it. Anything interesting I can determine?

"I say we excavate around the sides to see how deep it goes and what is down there. Objections?"

She thinks a moment.

"Or has one of you a rope or twine?"

See if Steve can record precise coordinates of our location in case we can't reach the bottom ourselves.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2014, 03:26:44 pm by Harry Baldman »

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: November 01, 2014, 03:54:24 pm »

Nevermind.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2014, 03:56:50 pm by Hapah »
I can't be expected to remember the names of everyone I've tried to stab.

Bored? Go read the EVE Chronicles.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: November 01, 2014, 04:25:39 pm »

"Got rope. I assume it's to test how deep this is?"
Take a camera and a light from someone's suit. Tie them to the rope and lower them down the hole. How deep is it, and what do we see?
« Last Edit: November 02, 2014, 11:20:12 am by NAV »
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: November 01, 2014, 04:51:58 pm »

"Got rope. I assume it's to test how deep this is?"
Tie a weight at the end of the rope. Lower it down the shaft to see how deep it is.

"One purpose. Other may be to attach camera and take a look - take one from suit if no other way."
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 89