Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 89

Author Topic: Mission 18: The final sunset  (Read 169252 times)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Re: Mission 18: Curse of the Mummy.
« Reply #840 on: January 16, 2015, 02:28:32 pm »

To Dubley via radio: "Am currently fine, Dubs. Stay up there. Will call for help if in trouble. If I do not report for fifteen minutes, am probably in trouble."

Mark my position by sticking an awl into the ground. Then start systematically exploring around me. Note the interior geography. Keep eye out for objects.
Honestly the lights of your teammate shining down from the ceiling are a pretty good marker but alright, if you wanna literally strike at the earth.

You stick the awl in the stone as best you can then start exploring outward in a slow spiral. It's somewhat difficult considering all the frozen gas structures around you, and the fact that your heating fins keep making very terrifying popping noises as flakes of frozen oxygen land on them and combust. You get maybe 50 feet out and can't find anything terribly interesting...well, an entire room of frozen gas crystals is pretty freaking neat, but nothing that stands out as important.

drink 17 eat the plant too, continue moving back, use shield as shovel to assist with burying eater
17 huh?

You drink the potion, which tastes great honestly, and wait. The only thing you feel is that your right hand is sweating. You take off your glove and watch as your hand oozes fluids. The fluids, a mass of snotty opalescent stuff, like liquid mother of pearl, condenses into a blob on your palm.

Warm up the Eater just a tensy bit using my lasor.
I don't see a laser on your sheet. At least not one that is usable from a distance.

((Oh god I totally DID risk a 0, well, at least the aux handiwork skills are over)) "Holy shit! That actually worked!?" Keep blasting my heat all over the eater
The casing of the heat gun has completely melted away from the heating elements and those elements are glowing white hot and starting to look pretty molten themselves. However, the eater is back on the ground and is only struggling weakly.

((Awesome.  Just incredible awesomeness.  No, it is not a hallucination: Tek is now an undead immortal, his undying frame wreathed in green flame, a harbinger of a new age that has shed the superfluous distinction between life and death.  I will hear no other interpretation.  Also, Vincent is a hero.))

As Tek's pain gave way to confused awe, he found himself following his new brethren across the sand.  Tek could only wonder how the old teammates would react to the new.

"Thank you.  Why have you come?"

Move onwards towards the Eater.  Observe whether the undead respond in any way to the question.  If still on fire, observe whether it is spreading to the other mummies.
You keep moving forward, but notice that things aren't moving normally. It's almost as though every step you take conveys you to the top of the next sanddune, as though you're walking in some sort of blurred, high speed montage.

The corpses look at you but don't speak. You wonder if they even can.

The flames aren't spreading to them, but they are remaining on you, if weakly.

To Dubley via radio: "Am currently fine, Dubs. Stay up there. Will call for help if in trouble. If I do not report for fifteen minutes, am probably in trouble."
"Nope, I'm coming with you.

Jason, Han, keep watch up here."

Pose the less active teammates in a funny pose, as a science experiment.

Then safely hover down to where Chief is. Take a look around.
You decide to make it look like they're slapping their bums. Good. Quality work.

One thing: you're flying down into a room of frozen, concentrated oxygen. Flying. With flames.

"Heh, I'm so good at keeping watch that I was doing that before you even mentioned it. I'll try to make sure no boxes full of giant Nazi space bees sneak up on us." Jason chuckles.

Back tozoning out keeping watch. Resist funny pose attempts. Maybe try to intuit what my potion does.
YOUR POTION RESISTS YOUR ATTEMPTS TO INTIUT IT! CONTINUE SLAPPING YOUR BUM!

Quote from: Kedly
Successful heating action!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3ALwKeSEYs

See if Sambo's (or anyone's) pewpew laser is still available. If so, grab it and heat up the Eater with a wide spread and medium power.
I Don't think there are any lasers laying around? I'll assume Sambo's melted.

Recall on why killing the Eater is a bad thing, and ponder about if I was being used as the containment for the Eater--pure synthetics and such...

Also get to aiding any person in dire need if possible. (ie Getting them into a state of non-danger)

Killing it is bad because it then possesses you. And synthetic bodies can be possessed as well. You've still got a brain in there, don't ya? Thats still organic.

Ok, 10 more minutes or one more turn. That heating gun is gonna fail next turn, so someone might want to step in.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #841 on: January 16, 2015, 02:32:41 pm »

Continue onward. Try to reach the edge of this chamber, maintaining the spiraling search pattern.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
Re: Mission 18: The definition of Insanity.
« Reply #842 on: January 16, 2015, 03:12:46 pm »

((It's possible that my posting might be irregular for some days. Assuming I fall out of stasis and don't post in a timely manner, feel free to NPC me as necessary.))

Tock. Tick.

Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Kedly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #843 on: January 16, 2015, 03:15:43 pm »

"Guys, someone might want to think of something soon, MY GUN IS MELTING!" Continue firing heat gun until it fails, and then immediately back off to a semi safe distance
((No.  ER Lasers are tickle generators, and dispense hugs, loves, and puppies.))
The fedora guy has potentially lethal amounts of swag :v

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #844 on: January 16, 2015, 04:52:21 pm »

"Guys, someone might want to think of something soon, MY GUN IS MELTING!" Continue firing heat gun until it fails, and then immediately back off to a semi safe distance
((Feyri has my raduga. It works as a giant heat gun.))

Jump down the hole and join Chief in her exploring. High endurance, robobody, mk3, I should be fine.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Kedly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #845 on: January 16, 2015, 04:56:06 pm »

((I think my heat gun is only now working because it is so hot it is melting my gun. Plus I lucked out hooking it up to my suit without breaking anything in the first place. If you want me to melt your Raduga I'm down for it though =P))
((No.  ER Lasers are tickle generators, and dispense hugs, loves, and puppies.))
The fedora guy has potentially lethal amounts of swag :v

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #846 on: January 16, 2015, 04:57:32 pm »

((Thanks NAV!))

Steal Feyri's laser gun, heat up the Eater with medium dispersion, gradually turning up power from low to medium so I don't pull a Sambo and blow the Eater away. If it starts getting more active, turn up the heat!
I can't be expected to remember the names of everyone I've tried to stab.

Bored? Go read the EVE Chronicles.

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #847 on: January 16, 2015, 05:41:32 pm »

Use my Micro Amp to heat a section of air far enough away from the Eater that it would radiate enough heat to warm it, but not incinerate it if I overdid it.
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Nunzillor

« Reply #848 on: January 16, 2015, 06:43:06 pm »

((Sorry in advance for long action))
Tek watched uncomprehendingly as he teleported from dune to dune and was somehow now walking instead of being dragged.  And doing so on one leg, no less (last time he checked)!  This whole situation merited further investigation, he felt.

Firstly, look down at legs.  Are they both there?  For that matter, how about arms?  If both legs are not there, look downward and watch this "walking" process.  Is he floating forward?  Or skimming across the ground as if pulled by some unknown force?  Are the other mummies holding him up and pushing him?

Secondly, begin moving arm in a circular motion at a constant speed such that it takes about a minute to complete a full revolution.  Does the timeskip affect him (ie, does the arm not appear to pass through all 360 degrees per complete revolution) or just his surroundings?  If it does affect him, mark how long exactly the timeskip is by observing the position of the arm before and after each timeskip.

Thirdly, test functionality of the body by attempting to flex muscles, starting from toes and ending at forehead.  Is any portion not functional due to burns or any other circumstance?

Lastly, see if the mummies have some inelligence but simply cannot speak.  Try pointing to the left of one, for example, and see if it looks.  Also, say "please stop for a second" both in Tek's language and the "stop" command used for the Eater in the local language to see if they understand and follow verbal commands.

« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 08:32:12 pm by Nunzillor »

Corsair

• Bay Watcher
  • New Zeland giveth, New Zeland taketh away
    • View Profile
« Reply #849 on: January 16, 2015, 08:29:27 pm »

hmmmmm poke pearly blob, observe, if it seems safe take a small bite, if that does nothing run up to the eater and chuck a bit at it, if that has a somewhat positive effect throw more   
So it was like a binary search, except the question is "Has the input been brutally murdered?", and it only ever returns True.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #850 on: January 17, 2015, 12:36:25 am »

((Thanks NAV!))

Steal Feyri's laser gun, heat up the Eater with medium dispersion, gradually turning up power from low to medium so I don't pull a Sambo and blow the Eater away. If it starts getting more active, turn up the heat!
"Hey w- be careful with that!"

Ponder on the time between 'killing' the Eater and ejecting my brain into its own safety...err, area. Is it a plausible plan? That the 'eater' possesses the synthetic body without a brain (due to the time lapse between its death, the possession, and the ejection of the only organic tissue), and then gets 'trapped' due to lacking organic material inside?

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #851 on: January 17, 2015, 02:49:11 am »

Imthink that would be an interesting expirement, but only in the sense of seeing whether it can still escape in the form of a disembodied brain.

Also you'd die.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Dutrius

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer extremely unavailable!
    • View Profile
    • Arcanus Technica
« Reply #852 on: January 18, 2015, 08:15:07 am »

((I think my heat gun is only now working because it is so hot it is melting my gun. Plus I lucked out hooking it up to my suit without breaking anything in the first place. If you want me to melt your Raduga I'm down for it though =P))

Lend the power source from my ex-gauss rifle, in case it makes a difference.
No longer extremely unavailable!
Sig text
ArcTech: Incursus. On hold indefinitely.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #853 on: January 19, 2015, 04:25:32 pm »

Continue onward. Try to reach the edge of this chamber, maintaining the spiraling search pattern.
Another 20 minutes and you finally reach one edge. It seems the chamber isn't circular though, since reaching this one edge doesn't bring you to the others. Maybe oval? Maybe some sort of wretched irregular thing. Either way, you've at least reached one wall.

((It's possible that my posting might be irregular for some days. Assuming I fall out of stasis and don't post in a timely manner, feel free to NPC me as necessary.))

Tock. Tick.

You'll probably fall out of stasis here next turn. Lets just hope you don't fall out into molten glass.

((Feyri has my raduga. It works as a giant heat gun.))

Jump down the hole and join Chief in her exploring. High endurance, robobody, mk3, I should be fine.
You jump into the hole, not bothering to use your rockets or anything to slow yourself down. The fall is...slightly longer then you expected. You manage to land and roll,flopping gracelessly onto the fused glass floor. It's messy and not very impressive, but you're uninjured.

Once you've pulled yourself up and dusted yourself off, you quickly connect up with Chief, following her signal to where she's standing near the cave wall.

((Sorry in advance for long action))
Tek watched uncomprehendingly as he teleported from dune to dune and was somehow now walking instead of being dragged.  And doing so on one leg, no less (last time he checked)!  This whole situation merited further investigation, he felt.

Firstly, look down at legs.  Are they both there?  For that matter, how about arms?  If both legs are not there, look downward and watch this "walking" process.  Is he floating forward?  Or skimming across the ground as if pulled by some unknown force?  Are the other mummies holding him up and pushing him?

Secondly, begin moving arm in a circular motion at a constant speed such that it takes about a minute to complete a full revolution.  Does the timeskip affect him (ie, does the arm not appear to pass through all 360 degrees per complete revolution) or just his surroundings?  If it does affect him, mark how long exactly the timeskip is by observing the position of the arm before and after each timeskip.

Thirdly, test functionality of the body by attempting to flex muscles, starting from toes and ending at forehead.  Is any portion not functional due to burns or any other circumstance?

Lastly, see if the mummies have some inelligence but simply cannot speak.  Try pointing to the left of one, for example, and see if it looks.  Also, say "please stop for a second" both in Tek's language and the "stop" command used for the Eater in the local language to see if they understand and follow verbal commands.

You're still missing the bits which were missing before.  Hard to say how the walking takes place. You lift your foot forward and you're suddenly on another sand dune. It's almost like you're blinking between them. Or maybe blacking out?

You can't really move your arm like that when people are holding you up with it. Instead you watch the flames to see if their shapes change or they move elsewhere on you. They don't seem to, so you must not be blacking out or skipping time.

You seem to work fairly well, all things considered. Your leg feels kinda stiff, but it still moves fine. Your scalp tingles though. Feels kinda like there's something cold sitting on your head.

They don't seem to understand your language, nor the native one, but they respond to pointing and hand gestures. Hmm.

hmmmmm poke pearly blob, observe, if it seems safe take a small bite, if that does nothing run up to the eater and chuck a bit at it, if that has a somewhat positive effect throw more   
You poke the blob. It behaves exactly like you would expect a big handful of snot to behave. Which is odd, when you think about it, but mundane enough. You take a small bite and immediately spit it out. It tastes like chalk and...something very unpleasant. You shrug and run towards the Eater, lobbing a glob of the stuff up at it. The goo hits the eater and spreads across it, covering far more of the eater then it really should, as though the ball was about 10 times the mass it appeared to be. The snotty stuff hardens almost instantly into a mother of pearl looking shell, which seems to be able to survive the eater's heat. The goo ball reforms on your hand within 30 seconds, so you throw it again. And again, and again.

Soon the eater is entombed in a oblong sarcophagus of pearlescent white shell. It settles to the ground, quiet and cold.

((Thanks NAV!))

"Hey w- be careful with that!"

Ponder on the time between 'killing' the Eater and ejecting my brain into its own safety...err, area. Is it a plausible plan? That the 'eater' possesses the synthetic body without a brain (due to the time lapse between its death, the possession, and the ejection of the only organic tissue), and then gets 'trapped' due to lacking organic material inside?
Yeah, I'm sure that I don't have a method of dealing with that. Like, say, it just leaping to the nearest other teammate.

Or to your brain anyways.

((Thanks NAV!))

Use my Micro Amp to heat a section of air far enough away from the Eater that it would radiate enough heat to warm it, but not incinerate it if I overdid it.

Lend the power source from my ex-gauss rifle, in case it makes a difference.
Luckily, none of you have to do anything dangerous like that, since someone got lucky with their potion.

And you get away clean. Your heat gun melts, but your suit doesn't overload and you don't get murdered so...hey, all's well that ends well.

It is now sunrise. The eater is contained for the moment. Gorat drops back out of stasis. Corsair's power runs out, but the sarcophagus remains intact. Oh and that glowing ball of heat out on the horizon? It's still there. In fact, it seems to be getting closer and slowly circling toward the west.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 05:22:50 pm by piecewise »

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #854 on: January 19, 2015, 05:41:38 pm »

"You are here, Dubs. I will follow the wall one way. You follow the other. If anything good or bad is found, give signal."

Follow the wall. Get a sense for the shape of the chamber.
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 89