Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Doctor/patient diagnosis loop?  (Read 3651 times)

Walkaboutout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Doctor/patient diagnosis loop?
« on: September 24, 2014, 12:39:09 pm »

Has anyone ever had a doctor in fortress mode get trapped with a patient in a diagnosis loop? I've stuck the save on DFFD (link below), and I should probably make a bug tracker ticket for it if this isn't something I did (though I think it's probably an honest-to-armok bug). Just curious if anyone else has had it happen and if there was a simple way to break the loop?

I was thinking of dismantling the hospital, but it may not stop the issue. The patient broke their shoulder a bit back and was in a traction bench (40.10 I think it was when I was playing this last). I had dismantled the traction bench at one point because I think 40.10 was when they still would not be let out of a traction bench by the doctors once put into one. I did it too early though and he still needed traction, so the patient was taken back to the bench once I put the hospital stuff back together.

Now, in 40.13, he eventually got an infection on his arm. I think that's the cause of the loop. Now that he has the infection, he keeps going into the "needs diagnosis" state, and it's just repeating. I have a Legendary Diagnostician now, and I think my chief medical dwarf's diagnosis skill is pretty high too.

Save download: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=9782
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 01:01:29 pm by Walkaboutout »

Koremu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Doctor/patient diagnosis loop?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2014, 12:40:14 pm »

I have a Legendary Diagnostician now, and I think my chief medical dwarf's diagnosis skill is pretty high too.

So it's not all bad, then?
It's a dwarf.  Their natural habitat is "trapped on the wrong side of a wall".

Flinging children halfway across the map to land in magma is good, wholesome fun, but extramarital reproduction?  Why, that's just unseemly!

Walkaboutout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2014, 12:42:39 pm »

So it's not all bad, then?

LOL no, not at all. I was wondering if I could manage to do it on purpose and train my docs into awesome diagnosers.

Save hosted on file depot, http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=9782
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 12:52:15 pm by Walkaboutout »

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2014, 12:53:07 pm »

Yeah, but what good is a legendary diagnostician if he won't ever stop diagnosing one, single patient?

Keith
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Walkaboutout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2014, 12:54:50 pm »

Yeah, that's why I wish I could come up with a simple way to stop the loop after this unexpected intensive training.

I'm at work now so I can't test further, but mind you I haven't simply tried dismantling the traction bench he's on right now. It may break the loop itself, though there's possibilities that it won't, especially if the loop is related to the new infection.

I may also be able to just wait 'till the shoulder heals, if its not related to the infection, but like I said, no testing for me now, at the moment.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 12:57:23 pm by Walkaboutout »

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud Sir Wordy McWordiness at your service.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2014, 12:57:21 pm »

Yeah, that's why I wish I could come up with a simple way to stop the loop after this unexpected intensive training.

Have you tried killing the patient?

Walkaboutout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2014, 12:58:34 pm »

Killing the patient has definitely occurred to me. Just lock the room when one of the docs gives up due to hunger or thirst, and goes to eat/drink. Soon as it happens (assuming I put doors in, which I haven't yet), lock the doors, and let the patient die, etc.

I'm sure a dead patient would end the current loop.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 01:04:36 pm by Walkaboutout »

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2014, 01:00:08 pm »

Yeah, but what good is a legendary diagnostician if you have to kill every patient he works on?

Keith
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2014, 02:59:07 pm »

Yeah, but what good is a legendary diagnostician if he won't ever stop diagnosing one, single patient?

Keith
... House?
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2014, 07:34:04 pm »

This could be GREAT for diagnosis rust though. I really wish we could get our surgeons to do practice on animals, or the goblin body parts.... or even suturing on the goddamn Roast Lamb or something. I never have a doctor up to scratch when there is an injury...

Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2014, 07:36:20 pm »

You clearly are not injuring your dwarves often enough.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2014, 07:51:07 pm »

I'm too busy to torture dwarves, I'm having too much fun doing horrible things to aquifers!

Mostly those kill them outright... I've had some Alligator Incidents, but again, those usually result in death. The occasional dwarf who manages to get hit by a tree when I'm busy trying to prevent the Dwarf-wash from flooding the food stockpile, though, he's the one who ends up with a couple of injuries that just need a little bit of doctoring. As a randomised example. That and the occasional issuing of a crutch to an alligator victim, and we're done... The docs never get much work.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

soulmata

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2014, 08:04:41 pm »

Not exactly this, but I have noticed a way (I think) to let any dwarf grind diagnosis. I've been doing this on 40.13 and it seems to work reliably, at least in my fort. The process is:

* Break a dwarf's legs or any other injury that will require a splint.
* Forbid all existing splints

What I see is a job to give the injured dwarf a splint appears, the doctor takes it, goes over to the dude, ?'s a bit, then cancels the job. Job is then recreated, and proceeds again.

After a while, I noticed 2 dwarves who had no doctor skills now had level 3 in diagnosis and bone setting each.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2014, 01:13:14 pm »

Doctor: Let me take a look at that leg of yours and see if we can figure out what's wrong with it.... Hmmm, looks like your leg's broken and needs a splint. Unfortunately, we don't have any available.
Patient: But what about those three over there?
Doctor: I'm sorry, but those are forbidden. You see, regulations require that we have three splints on hand at all times, in case of emergency. If we use one on you, we'll only have two splints. You don't want us to get in trouble, do you? Now, let me take a look at that leg of yours and see if we can figure out what's wrong with it...