Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Building labor  (Read 1243 times)

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
  • Now versio- I mean, age 18. Honestly not an AI.
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
Building labor
« on: September 24, 2014, 05:40:47 pm »

What if, Instead of having to turn mason on for everyone when you want to build a stone wall, or carpenter on for a wood wall, what if there as a building labor just for constructions. that way, you don't have a novice mason doing rock statues job while your legendary +5 is hauling stone to a wall halfway across the map into dangerous terrain.

I know it's possible to do with workshop profiles, but I really don't liike that kind of micromanagement
« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 09:54:10 am by Insanegame27 »
Power/metagaming RL since Birth/Born to do it.
Quote from: Second Amendment
A militia cannot function properly without arms, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without tanks and warplanes, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear tanks and warplanes, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without ICBMs, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear ICBMs, shall not be infringed.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Building skill
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2014, 08:28:48 pm »

Wouldn't that actually just increase the micromanagement? There's also already an architect skill.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2014, 08:52:48 pm »

They should be labors rather than skills. It makes sense to keep the current skill associations.

Architect is more for planning than actually building.

I know it's possible to do with workshop profiles, but I really don't liike that kind of micromanagement
You also need burrows to keep your legendary from building the walls.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 08:55:27 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Deboche

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2014, 09:47:07 am »

Maybe the architect skill could be expanded. At this point, I usually have several architects because it doesn't really matter who goes, the skill never gets trained very high and doesn't seem to change much.

The mug example wasn't the best because that's not the mason's job but there should definitely be a difference between the builder of walls/floors/etc and the craftsman who makes statues/thrones/doors/etc..

In the case of rock, it'd be easy to make the mason a builder and give thrones/doors/statues/etc to the stonecrafter. But carpenters do build stuff and make chairs/tables/etc, some separation should also be implemented.

All in all, good suggestion

Icefire2314

• Bay Watcher
  • Programmer and Space Enthusiast
    • View Profile
Re: Building labor
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2014, 08:51:40 pm »

The architect skill is honestly useless I think, might increase designing speed but otherwise no. One potential use for the skill could be that a workshop could have quality like an item, higher quality workshop increases production speed, max clutter, etc, combined with a legendary craftsdwarf could mean a veritable factory. Could be OP but would have to be looked at.
"ERUTH PULL THE DAMN LEVER THE ZOMBIES ARE ABOUT TO GET INSIDE!"
"zzz"
BAY 12 MINI CITY: http://bay-12.myminicity.com/

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2014, 10:56:46 pm »

High quality bridges/furnaces/etc, anything that requires architecture, can result in happy thoughts from admiring a fine Bridge/etc lately, if I recall correctly.
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
  • Now versio- I mean, age 18. Honestly not an AI.
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2014, 08:57:33 am »

High quality bridges/furnaces/etc, anything that requires architecture, can result in happy thoughts from admiring a fine Bridge/etc lately, if I recall correctly.
Really? I usually just go:
Computer: a migrant wave has arrived.
Me: Finally! Alt+tab to therapist, read dwarves, scroll doen and assign everyone to architecture- Wait. Fuck.You. Game. You're telling me that out of thirty-two migrants, thirty are children!?

Either way I usually get a good thought and i never "train" my architects
Power/metagaming RL since Birth/Born to do it.
Quote from: Second Amendment
A militia cannot function properly without arms, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without tanks and warplanes, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear tanks and warplanes, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without ICBMs, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear ICBMs, shall not be infringed.

Deboche

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2014, 03:09:30 am »

Either way I usually get a good thought and i never "train" my architects
Same here.

Maybe in the future dwarves will require temples, palaces and other marvelous works of masonry and we'll just assign an architect to the job, then he'll take care of the design. It could even be moodable. It would create all the designations for walls, floors, stairways, ramps and ceilings and you'd be free to change it of course but dwarves producing their own construction would be pretty cool.

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2014, 09:17:13 am »

I really like this suggestion. Construction-related activities could be split from the main corresponding labour and grouped into their own submenu. It would really save much micromanagement because we not only wouldn't be required to attach profiles to the workshops, but also wouldn't have to add our legendary crafters to burrows (which can have lots of side-effects) in order to prevent them from venturing outside to build that palm log wall. Two labours (making wooden stuff+building wooden log constructions) could still be governed by the same skill (carpentry, in this example), or different skills (making glass bricks + building a wall with glass bricks).