Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Suggest a book  (Read 5298 times)

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
Re: Suggest a book
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2014, 11:09:19 am »

My favorite book is The Caves of Steel by Asimov. The rest of that series and the Foundation series are in the same universe, and they're pretty good, but that book is something else. Dystopian robo-buddy-cop books are the best.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2014, 09:56:40 pm »

Ready Player One by Ernest Cline

World War Z by Max Brooks
Is overrated IMHO, but I did end up finishing it. I was more interested by his struggles in the real world than any of his quirky simulated reality shenanigans. I felt most of the references were pretty heavy-handed as well.

+1 to that one though, my favorite bits were the ones about fighting zombies on the ocean floor. The interview style of the writing is at times tiresome and others can really amplify the excitement of the story being told.

HopFlash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2014, 06:59:54 am »

"I Am Legend" by Richard Matheson (don't expect that you the story if you know one of the films) - it's an very unique (for my mainstream world) vampires book
"Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch" by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett - very funny witch "novel", not as crazy as some other Pratchett books but same direction I think
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Inactive Therian Saga Char: Stormhead
Dominions: 4.03 Berytos; 4.06 Pangaea; 4.08 Arcoscephale; 4.11 Shinuyama
Inactive Wurm Online Char: Stormhead

Prudent Viper

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Unprofessional
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2014, 08:16:51 am »

The Hobbit
If you haven't read it, do it now. It's a brilliant tale, one that you don't have to be a LOTR fan to enjoy.

Other than that, Terry Prachett is always good. My favourite is either the Watch series, or the one with Om as a tortoise.

If you're looking for more serious writing however, I often read Kafka's various works.

Tell me it's better than the film, please. I want to read it, but I feel like Brad Pitt has ruined the appeal. Please tell me I'm wrong.
*Tryrar fires Prudent Viper. Out of a cannon. Into the sun*

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2014, 08:32:13 am »

The Brad Pitt movie has absolutely nothing in common with the book but the name and the zombies.  Read the book, it's pretty good.

Prudent Viper

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Unprofessional
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2014, 08:34:40 am »

The Brad Pitt movie has absolutely nothing in common with the book but the name and the zombies.  Read the book, it's pretty good.
Thank Armok for that. I will!
*Tryrar fires Prudent Viper. Out of a cannon. Into the sun*

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2014, 03:12:07 pm »

Tell me it's better than the film, please. I want to read it, but I feel like Brad Pitt has ruined the appeal. Please tell me I'm wrong.
The book is great, the movie is pretty good, but they're definitely not the same thing.

HopFlash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2014, 03:25:54 pm »

The book is great, the movie is pretty good, but they're definitely not the same thing.
I would say then it's the same like I'm Legend.
Both film versions don't reflect anything relevant from the book.
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Inactive Therian Saga Char: Stormhead
Dominions: 4.03 Berytos; 4.06 Pangaea; 4.08 Arcoscephale; 4.11 Shinuyama
Inactive Wurm Online Char: Stormhead

McMagma

• Bay Watcher
  • McMagma, Fortress Addict.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2014, 04:03:14 pm »

I would suggest the book "The Time Machine" and one of my personal favourite "The Shadow of the Wind", I can't explain how much I like the last one.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2014, 08:57:20 pm »

of my personal favourite "The Shadow of the Wind", I can't explain how much I like the last one.
I loved that one as well. I have distinct memories of sitting in the central park, in the sun on a large rock, reading it... I dont even remember where I got it from, but its well worth the read.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2014, 09:25:50 pm »

I recommend the Mistborn Trilogy~

+1

ANYTHING by Brandon Sanderson, except possibly his Alcatraz series, I would recommend to everyone.

Wheel of Time is pretty good, although it sort of slows down halfway and doesn't pick up until the last ~3 books.

Discworld is excellent, although the first few books with Rincewind are somewhat more meh then the rest of the series.

Ready Player One is awesome.

Dresden Files are really good and his other series, the Codex Alera is excellent as well.

The Vorkosigan Saga, by Lois McMaster Bujold, is super good, although the first few books aren't as good as the later ones.

The Draegeara series, by Steven Brust is pretty neat
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling
Pages: 1 [2]