Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12

Author Topic: What Are You Doing Right Now: Forum Facebook Edition?  (Read 12903 times)

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
Re: What Are You Doing Right Now: Forum Facebook Edition?
« Reply #150 on: October 22, 2014, 01:11:12 pm »

Just screwing around with further sorting files and such out on my computer. Discovered some interesting notes.

We all are aware that underscoring files makes them top-priority when sorted alphabetically/by name. Besides adding a period or exclamation mark beforehand to be even higher ranking than that (though I generally wouldn't advise doing so; more underscores works better), I stumbled upon 2 different bottom-ranker ASCII symbols you can use to do the polar opposite of this trick, for whatever reason you see fit (like using a separate folder on your desktop as a de-facto TO-DO list, or sorting your favorite music in a folder for games like Beat Hazard or something; no content necessary, just titles and auto-sorting by date modified or name (text files or shortcuts to nowhere are safest to use in this case); Yes, I am THAT lazy.).

Anyway, the symbols I discovered that work like a charm, similar to _filename.txt (or more _'s to promote even higher), are ∞ (Infinity, ALT+236) for non-alpha sorting numerically (or in plain English: Bottom of filenames that begin with numbers, but not letters (_, 0→9, ∞, A-Z, a-z), no matter what.). Just as well, and better-yet, to absolutely nail something to the bottom of any file list, including shortcuts, which are somehow even lower ranking alphabetically, somehow, prefix with Ω (Omega, ALT+234). Basically, Ω is the ultimate bottom-rank override.

So, we have a sorting system refined to being: (special characters), 0-9, ∞, Latin accent characters, (Alphabet) Roman characters, Greek characters, ending with Ω at the very bottom, regardless.
Cleaned up: !._, 0-9, ∞, â-ÿ, A-Z/a-z, α-Ω

Something neat I learned/stumbled across; It's always the things I stumble across that are usually the most satisfying to learn/apply. Now you know. Happy sorting.

EDIT:
Adding more Ωs is just like adding more _s to the prefix of a file. It ranks them worse than the previous Ω. So it truly is the polar opposite of underscoring your files. Same can be said for the numerical equivalent for the ∞s (sorry, -∞ doesn't do what you'd expect; but - is higher than a number, but lesser than an _). And yes, they can stack somehow.

This can get zany if you're not paying attention to your own ranking system, and maybe make your head hurt keeping track of multiple tiered proper alphabets. A legend for reference about your own ranking system within a single folder using these will help.

Mind you, prior sorting rules still apply per-character. And to have spaces in your file name prefixes, ALT+255 ( ) actually works; but I advise against using it. Overall, I advise you make a legend for these things (at least so you can tier them properly; or if you intend on using regular expressions for sorting a crap-ton of files, especially in a single folder, all at once), so you won't get confused.

CAUTION:
Latin accents may still be ranked just like regular Roman alphabet, and even mix-rank. After all, they're the same letter, just with an accent. Looks silly, but can be funny screwing around with the orders of different things by abusing this sorting anomaly (If you have people who sort data alot, then you can definitely give them a hard time with this, even when file sharing, I would think as well. It would be an OCD nightmare. Best-used as an April Fool's prank for the OCD in your lot, or the NSA when sorting through files (if raw copy).). Hell, file searching would be more tedious because of accent usage (or a bunch of _/Ω tiers) as prefixes, especially when replacing the first relevant letter (best AS the first character; so accented vowels, keep in mind). Then again, regular expressions...

EDIT EDIT:
I can't help but to state, after all this: I am the Underscore, and the Omega. Screw Alpha.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 02:44:41 pm by Itnetlolor »

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: October 26, 2014, 05:18:53 pm »

Procrastinating.  Which is probably a bad thing, since I'm procrasinating on college applications.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: October 26, 2014, 09:42:46 pm »

Debating on whether I should start up another forum game or not

I already have so many and yet none of them take up enough time and eventualy they will but I want time waste now bleh
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #154 on: October 27, 2014, 08:12:05 am »

Sitting on a bus, thinking about music and how menacing gliding hadedas look.

#bus #publictransport #threateningavians #music

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: October 27, 2014, 09:08:38 am »

GOING TO MATH CLASS
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: October 27, 2014, 09:10:02 am »

pretending to pay attention in bio

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: October 27, 2014, 09:55:13 am »

reviewing pre-calc homework

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: October 27, 2014, 09:57:20 am »

Ich bin Deutsche lernen.
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #159 on: October 27, 2014, 10:13:17 am »

I hear this is a thing.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: October 27, 2014, 10:39:20 am »

Quote from: Hank Hill
These so-called ¨Evangelions¨ wouldn't have to worry about their power cords being cut if they ran on Propane

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: October 27, 2014, 12:57:20 pm »

Quote from: Hank Hill
These so-called ¨Evangelions¨ wouldn't have to worry about their power cords being cut if they ran on Propane

oi

at least link the image I posted

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #162 on: October 27, 2014, 01:53:38 pm »

pretending to pay attention in bio

But biology is awesome why wouldn't you pay actual attention D:

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #163 on: October 27, 2014, 01:58:51 pm »

Trying to drive off a pair of SS scout cars equipped with autocannons and mortars respectively using only a pair of bazooka teams.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: October 27, 2014, 02:09:23 pm »

Just finished updating my LP. Also, put a link in my sig. I'm sorry, po-ta-to link, but you have to go away for a while.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12