Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Taller trees....means taller Tower Cap farms?  (Read 4276 times)

Roblakov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Taller trees....means taller Tower Cap farms?
« on: September 25, 2014, 12:31:06 pm »

Now that trees go up several z-levels, do we need to make our tower cap farms several (underground) z-levels for them to grow properly?

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Taller trees....means taller Tower Cap farms?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2014, 12:32:42 pm »

Now that trees go up several z-levels, do we need to make our tower cap farms several (underground) z-levels for them to grow properly?
In a word, yes. At least two z-levels. I don't know if any proper science has been done on whether more than 2 z-levels does anything useful for towercaps in particular.
()==[:::::::::::::>

Roblakov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2014, 12:35:08 pm »

Will you get any wood at all in a 1-level farm?

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2014, 12:38:02 pm »

Time for you to do some science?
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Roblakov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2014, 12:42:35 pm »

Well it looks like my flashy new fort is going to become the unwilling guinea pig in said science  :D

Togre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2014, 01:48:47 pm »

Nope.  I like agriculture, but only as a friend.
"Hey guys, you know how I've been repeatedly injuring you over and over again for the purpose of training up a team of high skilled doctors? Yeah well we didn't actually need to do that."

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2014, 03:43:46 pm »

Nope.  I like agriculture, but only as a friend.

Gladstone

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2014, 04:06:56 pm »

You need at least two z-levels or underground trees won't grow (at least, this is true for tower-caps and fungiwood - I have not tested trees from lower caverns).  In an earlier thread, one person claimed underground trees give only one log no matter what (which would indicate that there is no point in adding incremental z-levels beyond the requisite 2), while another person claimed that fungiwood trees give a number of logs equal to their height:

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=143849.0

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2014, 04:09:02 pm »

On the other hand, this means no more trees growing in my narrow passes. That's good news.
Cool, but wouldn't this likely lead to tongues having a '[SPEACH]' tag, and thus via necromancy we would have nearly unkillable reanimated tongues following necromancers spamming 'it is sad but not unexpected'?

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2014, 04:15:24 pm »

On the other hand, this means no more trees growing in my narrow passes. That's good news.
+1

Also a reason to make a grand hall more cavernous.  And muddy.

Ahh!  I just found my first task!  To design and create the first dwarven hall with mushrooms, and not look like a prancing elf doing it!
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2014, 05:12:27 pm »

You need at least two z-levels or underground trees won't grow (at least, this is true for tower-caps and fungiwood - I have not tested trees from lower caverns).  In an earlier thread, one person claimed underground trees give only one log no matter what (which would indicate that there is no point in adding incremental z-levels beyond the requisite 2), while another person claimed that fungiwood trees give a number of logs equal to their height:

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=143849.0

No, I said that many underground trees only give one log, not all of them. But I wasn't sure which species are in the 1-log category. Then Pink Photon reported that tower caps give only 1 and fingiwood give 1 per level of the trunk.

I've got a fort going where I've got a 2-level tree farm going that I look at every month or so and put a 'N'ote on each sapling as to the date I first see it. I'll keep track of the age when they go multi-level and how much wood they give. They've only been going a year and a half, so I expect it'll be about that much longer before they grow. right now things are going slowly in that fort while I deal with a were issue.

Unfortunately, that embark only has 2 levels of soil, so I couldn't make it more than 2 levels deep. I guess I could try digging something deeper and muddying the floor.

Keith
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2014, 05:15:11 pm »

Razzerfrazzing nethercaps only give 1 regardless of height. T.T

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2014, 12:31:19 pm »

Tested this again today, in 40.12.

Built a 21x by 21y by 10z hollow "cave", deep underground, in stone only. (no soil)
Muddied the rough stone at the bottom of this "cave".
Breached the caverns.
Waited three years, in game.

Results.. after 3 years + 17 days (4 hematite yr100 -> 21 hematite yr103) A fungiwood and a tunneltube mushroom-tree reached maturity.
Chopping those down immediately produced (per mushroom-tree):
4 x tunnel tube logs
3 x bloodthorn logs
2 x fungiwood logs
1 x blackcap logs
1 x goblincap logs
(these counts were consistent for each type, multiple times)  Sorry, no nether caps in these caverns. :|

Save available upon request.  I'll update this post with the rest of the tree types and resulting log counts, as they mature.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 12:41:51 pm by vjek »

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2014, 12:51:21 pm »

Excellent info, vjek, thanks. I'll be very interested in hearing how much (if any) the output increases as they get older.

Keith
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Kneenibble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2014, 01:41:21 pm »

Thanks for your Science, vjek.  I have a question -- growing in muddied stone, did the trees produce any root tiles?

Come to think of it, I don't think I've examined the caverns closely enough to determine whether the underground trees have root systems at all...
Pages: [1] 2