Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Taller trees....means taller Tower Cap farms?  (Read 4256 times)

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
Re: Taller trees....means taller Tower Cap farms?
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2014, 02:24:10 pm »

I saw no roots, but I did see one cavern collapse message after chopping a large fungiwood down, but only the one time.

After six years total, that is, after 3 years of growth after maturing, the numbers I posted above for logs per mushroom-tree are identical.  It may be that much older mushroom-trees produce more logs, but not after 3+ years of mature growth.

Also, the tallest tree height reached over the 3 years of mature growth was six Z-Levels.  The base of the three was at 122, the max height branch/tip was at 127.  Both bloodthorn and fungiwood reached this height.  There was 10 Z's to grow in, so they weren't restricted by the "cave" height.

Finally, goblin caps and black caps did not grow to the same size as "natural" ones do, in the worldgen caverns.  In this artificial "cave" they only made short stubby spikes 2Z tall, rather than the full sized mushroom-trees you normally see.  It's possible this is due to insufficient x-y area for crown growth.  Tunnel tubes, similarly, were stunted in that they didn't bifurcate as much, nor grow as tall as normal.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2014, 05:13:39 pm »

I've got nether caps growing in my caverns and none has given more than 1 log, despite having the full dark blue caps extending several z upwards and a few x/y across.

Aristion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2014, 07:47:29 pm »

Well height is divided into 2 categories in my opinion.
1. The "leaves" of the tree in question
2. The wood tiles of the tree
A new 'shroom tree might have only 1 log tile while an older one in a larger area may have more. However I haven't done anything to prove this yet though.
I kept imagining this guy go "By Armok, not the dead roaches! Oh gods the hamsters oh the dwarfmanity!"
Devotes several hours a day making vampires an endangered species.

Roblakov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2014, 06:35:27 am »

Tested this again today, in 40.12.

Built a 21x by 21y by 10z hollow "cave", deep underground, in stone only. (no soil)
Muddied the rough stone at the bottom of this "cave".
Breached the caverns.
Waited three years, in game.

Results.. after 3 years + 17 days (4 hematite yr100 -> 21 hematite yr103) A fungiwood and a tunneltube mushroom-tree reached maturity.
Chopping those down immediately produced (per mushroom-tree):
4 x tunnel tube logs
3 x bloodthorn logs
2 x fungiwood logs
1 x blackcap logs
1 x goblincap logs
(these counts were consistent for each type, multiple times)  Sorry, no nether caps in these caverns. :|

Save available upon request.  I'll update this post with the rest of the tree types and resulting log counts, as they mature.

Excellent! Thank you for the info!

Casei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2014, 01:00:55 pm »

This is a very elfy conversation, turn yourselves over to the Hammerer for readjustment processing.

My artificial farm (5 z-levels tall, stone with imported mud) just started its first batch of trees, and there was much rejoicing. However, getting them to a point where they're worth harvesting is going to take many, many years. An underground tree-farm is an investment of time and effort that has a long-term payout. The new tree rules have added the nifty effect of having to make some forestry decisions.

My fort is a reclaim, and it started with only like 10 trees, so in early game I had to be very stingy with wood. By the time the first artificial clay cavern was ready to harvest, I had repopulated the surface with a forest through careful tending and selection of which trees I would cut.

It seems that the farther away from the parent tree the area is, the longer it will take for new saplings to sprout in that area. So don't clear-cut your areas and it won't take as long to regrow it. Select the trees you need based on new growth/old growth decisions. If you need lots of wood, take an old-growth tree (they will have many bundles of limbs +1 z above the base) but don't take too many. Cut new-growth as you need a piece of wood here and there, but let some of the new growth turn into old growth over time. This is the same underground as on the surface. Leaving 3 or 4 seed trees in your farm is going to benefit you more than clear-cutting in the long run.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2014, 01:15:36 am »

Well, my underground tree farm has finally reached 3 years old, and several trees have grown up.

logging results so far (all trees are just over 3 years old, and 2 z-levels tall):
Fungiwood - 2 logs
Spore Tree - 3 logs
Black Cap - 1 log
Tower Cap - 1 log
Spore Tree - 3 logs
Spore Tree - 3 logs

So Spore Trees are the best so far.

Keith
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.
Pages: 1 [2]