Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Let's Teach GUNIN to Play Dwarf Fortress! (AGAIN)  (Read 3740 times)

Solymr

• Bay Watcher
  • BEEP BOP READ SOLDIERMON
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Teach GUNIN to Play Dwarf Fortress! (AGAIN)
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2014, 03:48:59 pm »

I'll be yo weaponsmith O0

Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum

« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2014, 05:34:44 pm »

Remove the pig tail fiber stuff, cave spider silk is half price and just as good...

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2014, 06:34:14 pm »

Tooooo laaaaaattteee :3

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Yessssssssss- :D

Yucky, menu in the middle of the screen. *fixes*

I unpaused for a moment to get the dorfs to strike the earth, was watching them work for it, come back to find PILES OF DEAD RATS. Nice work cats. *thumbs up*

Yummy yummy general stockpile.

Not so yummy dead rats pile.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2014, 08:02:53 pm by GUNINANRUNIN »

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2014, 07:59:44 pm »

General stockpile, and small branches here and there.

Dorfs digging stuff for a farming plot, but it's all stone.

This is as close as I could get to the general stockpile while still having soil, and now I'm farming plump helmets.

Okay so here's the river, one Z-level down, this is directly west of my meeting area on the same level:

-and I wanna make a reservoir from down here, over near/accessible from the meeting area (which is at the same z-level as the underground bit of the river). How should I go about this?

Also adorf tried to drown himself like four times in the river while cutting down trees on the bank.

Spoiler: Meet the Dorfs (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Stuff I Wanna Do (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 28, 2014, 08:09:40 pm by GUNINANRUNIN »

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2014, 10:18:34 pm »

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2014, 10:44:32 pm »

-and I wanna make a reservoir from down here, over near/accessible from the meeting area (which is at the same z-level as the underground bit of the river). How should I go about this?

Right, if I were in your position, and wanted water to flow from the river down a level and fill a reservoir directly underneath the meeting hall, first I'd dig the reservoir underneath the hall. Then dig a 1 tile wide path -the aqueduct- from the reservoir to underneath the very edge of the river. Seal both ends of the aqueduct with floodgates, link them to a lever, then have them open for a miner to be able to access the end of the aqueduct.

Designate the tile at the end of the aqueduct -make sure that it's on the same zlevel as the reservoir and directly underneath the walls of the river- for "carving into an up ramp." This will create a ramp from the wall and remove a single tile of wall from the river above, causing water to flow from the river down into the aqueduct and into the reservoir. When it's full, pull the lever to reseal the reservoir with the linked floodgates you set up earlier.

Then you can channel out a floor tile in the meeting hall and build a well with minimal fear of flooding.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2014, 12:58:10 am »

An "irrigation system", by which I assume you mean flooding stone to make mud, can probably be left alone for now. If you want to make muddy tiles, make some wood(e)n buckets at your carpenters shop, then make an activ(i)ty zone into a (p)ond. This will cause idle dwarves to fill buckets and pour water on the floor. Remove individual tiles from the pond when they have water on, and voila, mud.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2014, 01:01:29 am »

An important thing to note: do not try and make a reservoir below the level of the water source you're trying to drain if there's an opening from another point in the reservoir. Water has pressure; if you're draining water down several Z-levels into a room, and that room has an opening in its ceiling, water will pop out of that hole and flood whatever's above the reservoir. Only drain into a completely sealed chamber.
くコ:彡

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2014, 01:26:32 am »

Makes sense. But then how do I use the water in the reservoir if I can't make a second opening in it?

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2014, 01:43:49 am »

Makes sense. But then how do I use the water in the reservoir if I can't make a second opening in it?
You can, so long as the reservoir is sealed off from the source of river water. So, like, floodgates. Or hatches. Or doors. Or all three. In an overly complex and dorfy system.

Of course, if you want to refill the reservoir from the river, you may want to seal the well opening off. Could just deconstruct the well, floor over the opening, then rebuild it once you refill the reservoir.
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2014, 01:59:33 am »

Oh! Okay that totally makes sense, close the floodgates before I use the water. Interesting that the pressure of the water won't stop the gates from closing, but then drawbridges can be used as catapults so-

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2014, 02:02:01 am »

Interesting that the pressure of the water won't stop the gates from closing, but then drawbridges can be used as catapults so-
Dorf architecture is just that magical, man.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2014, 02:48:59 am »

Posting to watch.  Hoping for success but also hoping for a trainwreck.  Not sure what's pulling me more.

I guess it's like when you go to the racetrack and hope for your driver to win, but yer also hoping for a 30 car pileup with flipping and fire.

Also may be a good idea to make sure you can seal off the room above the resovoir in case of emergency.  Doors work well, since they apparently make watertight seals when closed.  Also don't put the lever to open (or more importantly close) the floodgate in a room that would be submerged within seconds of a mistake being made.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 02:53:30 am by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2014, 03:24:20 am »

There's dorfs, six adults and seven children, to be claimed. Just a heads-up. For people who posted but missed the first wave I'd be obliged if you posted again to remind me.

E: Powderminer claims an adult on IRC.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2014, 03:35:22 am »

I'll take a hunter if you ever get (or make) one.  Whether I'm drafted as a crossbowdwarf or let hunt I'm sure to die in an interesting way.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!
Pages: 1 [2] 3