Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Let's Teach GUNIN to Play Dwarf Fortress! (AGAIN)  (Read 3783 times)

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
Re: Let's Teach GUNIN to Play Dwarf Fortress! (AGAIN)
« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2014, 05:03:42 am »

PTW. I might lend some advice at some point.

As to dwarves, I'll take any stonecrafter that likes mugs or flutes or serpentine. A combination of any of those is even better.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #31 on: September 29, 2014, 10:46:07 am »

I'll take a hunter if you ever get (or make) one.  Whether I'm drafted as a crossbowdwarf or let hunt I'm sure to die in an interesting way.
There's nothing really dangerous around, but plenty of ravens so sure! No clue if he'll hunt small birds but why not.

Absentia

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 29, 2014, 12:44:56 pm »

They'll shoot any non-vermin wild animal they can find, but I think ravens are too small to be butchered so they'll just rot where they fall.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #33 on: September 29, 2014, 12:56:15 pm »

Good training though, what does he need to kill the birds? Will the area ever have different kinds of beasts wandering through? Currently it's summer and there's hardly a creature around.

Absentia

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 29, 2014, 01:19:03 pm »

He would need a crossbow (most easily made out of wood at a Bowyer's Workshop), a quiver (Leather Works), and a steady supply of bolts (wooden ones from Craftsdwarf Workshop would be sufficient for small animals, although bone or especially metal are better). And you would need to enable the Hunting labor.

The animals that show up are dependent on your biome, your savagery/evil rating, and chance. You picked a calm (low savagery) grassland, so you're not going to get anything too fun or exotic, but you should still get something large enough to get meat from on a fairly regular basis.

EDIT for more detail: Only one group of wild animals at a time will appear on the surface, and if left undisturbed they will eventually leave and a new group will appear. As far as I can tell, each subregion is assigned a handful of species from the set of all animals that could possibly live there, and only those species show up (or at least they show up far more frequently). So you should expect to see a lot of ravens, but chances are your site also has something like badgers or macaques that will show up later, when the ravens are gone.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 01:32:05 pm by Absentia »
Pages: 1 2 [3]