Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 36

Author Topic: UNMD - First Contact: Discussion Thread. Fighting Kaiju and Aliens with Mecha!  (Read 55209 times)

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile

NDA?

Projeck37

• Bay Watcher
  • what is love, baby don't hurt me
    • View Profile

New Dawn Academy.
I be the Pillow Pirate of the 12 Bays!

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile

Ah. When did I do that?

Sanure

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:DRONE][PREFSTRING:MADNESS][ETHICS:NOPE]
    • View Profile

Guys, Just let Andres have his 14 year old character. Damn, I mean, does it really matter? We're playing a game about how Earth is under attack by monsters and Mecha. It wouldn't be that weird to get competent soldiers who are 14 years of age. I mean, really, does it even matter?
Quote from: Discord
Suika, Drinker of Sake - Today at 9:11 PM
"...I really don't know why Cu chulainn made that last promise because he is physically incapable of keeping it in his pants, it is like his junk is some kind of unruly seamonster or moray eel telescoping out of its holster and harpooning ladies left and right"
Johnny Jokotaru sent Kars down under

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

14 year olds can't be shipped without being creepy, so it matters :P

Edit:unless, of course, it's with another person the same age, then it's a Toy Ship :P
« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 02:05:09 pm by tryrar »
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If you're obsessed with making him unshippable, make him 90 years old, and a sexist, racist bigot.
I'm really not that obsessed with unshippability. Unshippability is simply ONE of the reasons I gave my character the traits he has. I genuinely do like him as a character.

Guys, Just let Andres have his 14 year old character. Damn, I mean, does it really matter? We're playing a game about how Earth is under attack by monsters and Mecha. It wouldn't be that weird to get competent soldiers who are 14 years of age. I mean, really, does it even matter?
Yes. This please. I agree with this man completely.

14 year olds can't be shipped without being creepy, so it matters :P
I maintain that all this anti-14 sentiment is a conspiracy to make sure that the status quo of the shipping scene will continue unchanged.
I f***ing knew it!

Edit:unless, of course, it's with another person the same age, then it's a Toy Ship :P
Thankfully, I don't think anyone else will actually make another 14 year old homosexual male, so I think Tano's safe, if perhaps a bit lonely. Then again, he does get to pilot a giant robot so it evens itself out very nicely.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile

Question: Why is it so important he be 14? Can't he just be asexual, like Sam, if you don't want to ship him?

Or, you know, just don't ship him?

I mean, honestly, a 17 year old or 16 year old, I can see that. But not a fourteen year old. That's pretty ridiculous, not to mention unnecessary. Makes me think of the Star Trek original Mary Sues(in the sense of 'youngest hot shot from Star Academy look at me so special').
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

First question: it's funny, avoids shipping, and the age matches his profile pic which took me an HOUR AND A HALF to find. Second question: no. His being gay is less about anti-shipping and more about diversity. There are no gay dudes in any Bay12 games.

Third question, I don't ship anyone anyway. It's everyone else I'm worried about.

You have a point there. I'm willing to go up to 15 because the picture would still match but at 16 I'd have to spend ANOTHER HOUR AND A HALF just to find a decent one. He's not really anything special. His mech skill level is average compared to everyone else already playing.

A lot of people seem to think I'm only pushing forward the character or more specifically, his age, to avoid shipping. That's only partly true. Mostly I just take pride in the character I made and want to play him. So can we agree on 15 years old? Underage mech pilots are a staple of the genre after all.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 05:15:54 pm by Andres »
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Kansa

• Bay Watcher
  • Distant Traces of Beauty
    • View Profile

You do realise you could just use the picture anyway right? Just say he looks young.
* greatorder smothers Kansa with earwax

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The picture's obviously not of a 16 year old. Saying that he just 'looks young' is a bit unrealistic and we can't have unrealistic in a genre where giant robots, giant monsters, aliens, portals, and space colonisation are actual things. Of course, if we're going unrealistic then he might as well stay 15. His official age is 15 now btw. Accept pleeeease?

EDIT: Actually, since the only problem seems to be his age rather than anything else, can I just start playing while leaving his age a grey area until we sort it out?

EDIT2: I'd like to ask how Adaptive Strategy actually works. What's best weapon and damage and best defence? What's to say which of our weapons is our best one? On that note, why use that over Weapon Overclock? What's best defence?

EDIT3:
EDIT: Is it possible to change the stats of the mech even after you start playing with it? I ask because I have no idea how good Face God's sword compares to its guns and if it's too powerful I'll want to divert the spare tonnage into armour.

Good lord an EDIT4: Do the damage multipliers work on simple or compound interest? In the following example, the mech is using Weapon overclock (+40% damage) and High Energy Couplings (+30% damage).
Which of the calculations are used:

[DAM] * (1+0.4+0.3)

OR

([DAM]*1.4) * 1.3

I knew I was forgetting something! EDIT5: Do we get to see the rolls/enemy tactics again once we upgrade the mechs? Like do we need a scanner or something? IDEA! The hypothetical Scanner tech route could be unlocked via a quest line. At first, the scanner needs to be used at Melee range to properly get data and calibrate it. Then when the battle is finished, the scientists can use that data to create a Scanner that from that point on would inform the pilot of enemy tactics when in Melee range. A Scanner v2 Prototype that would be able to tell enemy tactics from Close range would require getting data on both Melee range and Close range AND the old Scanner must not be used during the v2 prototype due to prototypical interference or something.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 07:05:23 pm by Andres »

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile

You're probably going to have to find a different picture anyway, or just not use one(*gasp* :P), since if he was both underage and looks young, I can't really see any way he'd manage to get into the military.

Also, you are wrong, there are gay men in Bay12 games. Leth(who admittedly hasn't done much) in RotMG is one. There's at least one in FEF: Shattered Hope(I think it's Shattered Hope anyway).

And finally, what's so bad about someone else shipping your character? I'll be honest, I find writing fanfic or things like that involving another person's character without involving or at the least asking them to be incredibly rude, but it's not like your character is horrible tainted.

Also, you realize people can look extremely different from their ages, right? I was talking with a girl I thought was 16, and she thought I was 19. I'm 16, and she's 19. So it's not like it's impossible.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile

You're probably going to have to find a different picture anyway, or just not use one(*gasp* :P), since if he was both underage and looks young, I can't really see any way he'd manage to get into the military.

Also, you are wrong, there are gay men in Bay12 games. Leth(who admittedly hasn't done much) in RotMG is one. There's at least one in FEF: Shattered Hope(I think it's Shattered Hope anyway).

And finally, what's so bad about someone else shipping your character? I'll be honest, I find writing fanfic or things like that involving another person's character without involving or at the least asking them to be incredibly rude, but it's not like your character is horrible tainted.

Also, you realize people can look extremely different from their ages, right? I was talking with a girl I thought was 16, and she thought I was 19. I'm 16, and she's 19. So it's not like it's impossible.
Also, one of my characters from E:G is gay, although his orientation isn't really important at all, seeing as he's unshipped due to other reasons. :P

Kansa

• Bay Watcher
  • Distant Traces of Beauty
    • View Profile

Also Titus is gay in rotmg even though I haven't done much with him yet
* greatorder smothers Kansa with earwax

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

My 'no gay dudes on Bay12' thing was supposed to have been hyperbole but I guess that didn't translate very well. It's just that compared to lesbian women there aren't a lot of gay men in Bay12 games - not that they're entirely absent. I'm up to page 973 of RotMG and there have been, like, 9 lesbians in the cast (5 in Selina's harem and 4 in Conny's) and some lesbians outside of the cast (that store clerk Conny [REDACTED] with) and no gay dudes so far. I don't really know about anything after that and I haven't read every forum game on Bay12 but it's clear that the number of gay dudes is still low compared to lesbians or bisexual women.

Because I doubt everyone managed to catch my last edit, I'll just repost it here:

Do we get to see the rolls/enemy tactics again once we upgrade the mechs? Like do we need a scanner or something? IDEA! The hypothetical Scanner tech route could be unlocked via a quest line. At first, the scanner needs to be used at Melee range to properly get data and calibrate it. Then when the battle is finished, the scientists can use that data to create a Scanner that from that point on would inform the pilot of enemy tactics when in Melee range. A Scanner v2 Prototype that would be able to tell enemy tactics from Close range would require getting data on both Melee range and Close range AND the old Scanner must not be used during the v2 prototype due to prototypical interference or something.

EDIT: I just realised that making Tano 15 would make him eligible for [toy] shipping with that 16 year old. So fuck. Never mind. Forgot that other dude was straight. Wait was he? I kinda forgot everything about him.
EDIT2: Looked him up. His orientation is undefined... and he's pretty.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 07:05:06 pm by Andres »

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile

Pretty sure Maria's bi- being that she's my character, I should know- and what harem- pretty also sure she and Maria were engaged. Conny's also bi, from what I know. The only real lesbians in RoTMG are Alice and Selina- ICARUS is more Alicesexual.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 36