Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 36

Author Topic: UNMD - First Contact: Discussion Thread. Fighting Kaiju and Aliens with Mecha!  (Read 53318 times)

smurfingtonthethird

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Shitposter
    • View Profile

IC Thread

Space colonisation is a great idea, all things considered. Humanity will be able to survive even if Earth is destroyed, exploration will lead to new discoveries, and a whole host of other bonuses. However, space is a pretty hard thing to travel through; radiation and distance really screw it up.
So, in the year 2025, when some bright spark discovered a way to create interdimensional wormholes, people were very excited. Why bother flying millions of miles when there are thousands of worlds just around the dimensional corner?

Eventually, in 2030, explorers discovered what they thought was a pristine, alien planet, ripe for colonisation and filled with exotic resources. Several governments and organisation sent through colonists, hoping to secure themselves a piece of the pie. However, this new world was not uninhabited as thought. An alien civilisation lived there, one that didn't take too kindly to a bunch of freeloaders stealing all of their shit. They quickly took over one of the portals, located in Russia, with the assistance of large mechanical combat suits and massive biological weapons that quickly earned the nicknames 'Mecha' and 'Kaiju', after the first overtly offensive pair took a romp-a-stomp through Japan.

Fortunately for humanity, the portal in Russia is heavily damaged, and the aliens did not develop interdimensional travel, leaving them with a single weak lifeline back to their home dimension. However, the facility is heavily guarded by weapons and fortifications often beyond human comprehension. However, some mecha and materials were salvaged from earlier conflicts, leading to the discovery and creation of titanium-70, advanced fusion reactors, and humanities' very own mechanised combat suits.

That is where you step in, the pilots, as part of the recently formed UNMD (United Nations Mechanised Division), in control of your own mech. Your ultimate task is to push through the titanic Russian Defensive Line, and destroy the portal, ending the stream of invaders once and for all...

But for now, you just need to hold the line.

Spoiler: Mecha (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Current Equipment List (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Research (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Combat (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 08:43:07 pm by smurfingtonthethird »
RIP Moot ;-;7 Sigtext!

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile

Spoiler: The Pilot (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: The Mech (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 07:54:10 pm by USEC_OFFICER »

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile

REserve

Kansa

• Bay Watcher
  • Distant Traces of Beauty
    • View Profile

Ptw
* greatorder smothers Kansa with earwax

Sanure

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:DRONE][PREFSTRING:MADNESS][ETHICS:NOPE]
    • View Profile

PTW and Reserve
Quote from: Discord
Suika, Drinker of Sake - Today at 9:11 PM
"...I really don't know why Cu chulainn made that last promise because he is physically incapable of keeping it in his pants, it is like his junk is some kind of unruly seamonster or moray eel telescoping out of its holster and harpooning ladies left and right"
Johnny Jokotaru sent Kars down under

PrivateNomad

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified Time Traveler
    • View Profile

Reserve. Character sheet?

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Reserveing a spot.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile

You all suck, since you're all just reserving a spot.

Name: Sam Forell

Appearance: Physically a girl, who doesn't dress like one. Black curly hair and brown eyes, with sharp features and a large chin. Xie isn't what most people would call beautiful, but Sam isn't ugly, either. They are what they are, and while not particularly tall, Sam has a force of presence many military commanders wish they could have. Capable of handling themselves in a fight, and being forced to on more than one occasion thanks to their identity, Sam bears the scars of being military personnel, both mentally and physically.

Background: And Israel-born blend of heritages, Sam grew up in an environment hostile to differences, though thankfully not so much so that xie was killed. Joining the military after getting out of high school, and identifying as gender-neutral, was not easy, but it was possible. A driver and operator of heavy equipment, Sam was one of the lucky few chosen for the initial testing programs for the mechs.

Rabid Hare
An extremely short mech, only 4.5 meters tall, the Rabid Hare makes up for this 'deficiency' with speed and maneuverability. Nearly 3 meters long, with an additional 4 meters of balancing 'tail', complete with integrated gatling cannon, the mech has a smooth, lean appearance, assisted by wheeled legs and booster jets to help it with dexterity and movement, and two weapon arms carrying heavy railguns; it's main armament, together with the missile racks atop it's shoulders and main body. In addition to this, however, a molecular-edged pole-arm can be used for close defense against rival mechs and smaller kaiju, as well as hit and run strikes on soft targets and weak points on large targets. The weapon also has an integrated gatling gun that can be used for additional firepower when necessary. The destructive force of the Rapid Hare, when focused on it's particular target, is not to be underestimated.

Mech Class: Light
Melee Weapon: Nano-Edge-Halberd (15 tons)
Four Long Range Weapons: Twin Rail Cannons, Under-Arm/Flank Mounted, and Twin Missile Pods, Shoulder Mounted (32 tons)
Two Close Range Weapons: Autocannon, Tail Mounted, and Autocannon, Halberd Mounted(8 tons)
Boosted N-Way Engines (20 tons)
500 HP

Things I Want But Can't Have Yet:
Mines
High Damage point blank weapons
Camouflage
Even smaller suits
Explosives (not-mines)
Scout Drones
Enhanced Sensor Equipment
Gotta Go Faster
More Advanced Mech Stuff Like In Akroma's Thing

Can Long-Range Weapons be used up close just fine?

If not, I may switch some stuff around

Once I get some more info on aesthetics and the like, size of suits, blahblahblah, I'll make descriptions and whatnot.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 06:46:02 pm by Rolepgeek »
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Projeck37

• Bay Watcher
  • what is love, baby don't hurt me
    • View Profile

Spoiler: Mech Info (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Pilot (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 05:04:28 pm by Projeck37 »
I be the Pillow Pirate of the 12 Bays!

OREOSOME

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM.
    • View Profile

I'd like to reserve a spot.
Ow! How the fuck do eldritch abominations bitchslap people?
With our pimp tentacles, obviously.

smurfingtonthethird

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Shitposter
    • View Profile

Reserve. Character sheet?

Pilot sheet added. You can decide your mecha loadout now, or wait for the IC application form later.

You all suck, since you're all just reserving a spot.

Mech Class: Light
Melee Weapon: [Plasma/Sunsweep/Nano-Edge]-Halberd/Lance(Not sure on the aesthetics of the world)
Two Long Range Weapons: Twin Rail Cannons, Under-Arm/Flank Mounted
One Close Range Weapon: Autocannon, Back/Shoulder OR Tail Mounted
Predictive Plating
Boosted N-Way Engines
Reactive Couplings (Guessing 15 tonnage)

Things I Want But Can't Have Yet:
Mines
High Damage point blank weapons
Camouflage
Even smaller suits
Explosives (not-mines)
Scout Drones
Enhanced Sensor Equipment
Gotta Go Faster
More Advanced Mech Stuff Like In Akroma's Thing

Can Long-Range Weapons be used up close just fine?

If not, I may switch some stuff around

Once I get some more info on aesthetics and the like, size of suits, blahblahblah, I'll make descriptions and whatnot.

I'll go with the nano-edge halberd. None of that energy crap (yet).

The mechas are the big 20 metre tall boys in this one. If you're too lazy to Google Image search mecha, then here's a really generic model for you to build on:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
RIP Moot ;-;7 Sigtext!

Sanure

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:DRONE][PREFSTRING:MADNESS][ETHICS:NOPE]
    • View Profile

Question: Can a person have a mecha in the form of an animal, like say a wolf?
Quote from: Discord
Suika, Drinker of Sake - Today at 9:11 PM
"...I really don't know why Cu chulainn made that last promise because he is physically incapable of keeping it in his pants, it is like his junk is some kind of unruly seamonster or moray eel telescoping out of its holster and harpooning ladies left and right"
Johnny Jokotaru sent Kars down under

smurfingtonthethird

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Shitposter
    • View Profile

Question: Can a person have a mecha in the form of an animal, like say a wolf?

I guess so.

inb4 rei
RIP Moot ;-;7 Sigtext!

Projeck37

• Bay Watcher
  • what is love, baby don't hurt me
    • View Profile

The real question is: Are there specific limits to what shape our mechs can be?
I be the Pillow Pirate of the 12 Bays!

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile

Spoiler: Person (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Mech (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 07:13:56 pm by kj1225 »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 36