Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Project Gorgon : Amazeballs indie old school MMO  (Read 4412 times)

Sirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Project Gorgon : Amazeballs indie old school MMO
« on: September 27, 2014, 06:27:07 am »

I'm a bit surprised that there's no thread about this game yet, seeing how well informed you guys are about things relevant to your interests, but I'm happy to fix that :)

Project Gorgon is a game made by a passionate indie dev, aiming to recapture the awe and wonder of the early days of MMO gaming. Don't expect top notch graphics or smooth UIs, but do expect something that finally breaks free from the mold.

I have just started playing, after reading about it HERE so I can't tell much about it yet, but from what I've been reading this is definitely a game where we will feel right at home.

There is an extensive skill system, where you start as a pea fresh out of the pod, but quickly find ways to learn and improve skills, either by doing things in the game or through all sorts of quests, NPC trainers, scrolls and things like that. There are all sorts of interesting game mechanics too, but mostly I encourage you to check the website and read about it there.

Project Gorgon website

There was also a kickstarter, but it fell too short of the goal, so the dev had to make other plans, but he's not abandoning the game.
Edit : new kickstarter !

Right now the game is in alpha, but extensively playable and enjoyable, with a very nice and mature community.

I don't know how to embed this video in my post so here's a link to the mmorpg.com video about the game, if you want to know more.

Edit : slightly modifying the title of this thread to properly reflect my interest for this game ;)
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 08:55:50 am by Sirian »

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
Re: Project Gorgon : Amazeballs indie old school MMO
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2014, 08:29:17 am »

If you aren't instantly sold on this game, watch the video in the OP. Made me smile, and now I think I'll download it.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2014, 01:15:37 pm »

My biggest concern, as usual, is end game.

EQ was awesome in its day and even holds up kind of well in terms of nostalgia factor. And I guess doing pretty well since EQ1 and 2 are both still around, even if their subscriptions are dwarfed by the orc in the room. But do I really want to go back and play EQ1 circa Luclin? Every encounter at that time consisted of "push the boss into a wall and keep the complete heal chains going on the tank/rampage tank." Maybe encounters don't have to be strictly scripted as you find in WoW but they should be slightly more complex than "use [ability] as often as possible" (whether that [ability] is KILLALLTHETHINGS or "move to target and melee attack"). Hard to get a feel for that aspect from a teaser video that's running around killing random things.

I also do prefer the button mashing combat mechanics of WoW's generation. While at its worse you have facerolling (ret paladins, warriors at some points), at its best you have affliction warlocks and JOHNFUCKINGMADDEN feral druids - meaning it adds a skill floor (or skill ceiling) to gameplay beyond just character stats. EQ1 had bards (and what majesty was a good bard), enchanters to a lesser extent, rangers (maybe druids). This does look like its going that way moreso than EQ1's "hardly anything to do in combat" of its early years, but in a game that's trying to capture that classic feel, my concern is they may try to copy the wrong aspects.

I'm also curious as to how the leveling scheme works such that you won't be able to just skill up everything. I'd guess the experience costs might scale as your skill pools broaden, but then I could just play it and find out.

I suppose I'll just try it.

PS: What about crafting? "Quantumpress things together" or some Vanguard/EQ2, where you have skills to use to act and react during crafting?

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2014, 01:48:13 pm »

Its made by devs of asheron's call. Making it not a typical eq clone or remake or a 1000 and 1 time remade uo clone or a cheaply made battlefield death match mmo..but an open world, sandbox style game that is a vast improvement to asheron's call. That no company has ever tried to remake.

If you played ac, very much like that. But modern with new gameplay and greatly improved.

I have been watching it. A real innovative MMO that finally isn't eq number 36000 or ultima the 20000 remake or a lame death match MMO.

So bored of eq and uo clones. Death match cheap mmos even worse.

Anyway...very innovative gameplay. Pretty much ac 3.0 but so much better.

BTW, they are likely to give kick starter a 2nd try. But more advertising.
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2014, 02:46:41 pm »

This seems very interesting. An MMO that doesnt guide your hand all the time and gives you dumb GO THERE STAB 400 THINGS AND COME BACK quests seems ok in my book, prob too time consuming but I'll certainly give it a try.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

PrimusRibbus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2014, 03:58:34 pm »

I'm not really seeing what advantage there is to this being an MMO. It sounds like the type of game where you've got one month before everything is has been discovered, documented, and is being spammed in chat everywhere. Or worse, people start refusing to party with you if you haven't visited the "super secret NPC in the mountain caves" to get whatever skill they have.

Exploration-based RPGs without a PvP focus just plain seem to work better single-player or on private servers that max out at a couple dozen or so players.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2014, 04:00:45 pm by PrimusRibbus »
grammar is for essays and letters and second FREEDOM TO POST except obscene material
THE ONLY THING THAT'S GONNA GRIND IN THIS GAME IS YOUR ASS ON THE PAVEMENT

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2014, 04:03:01 pm »

Looking at their kickstarter page...

YEAH not surprised it failed.

It is probably one of the worst ones I've seen on Bay12. The absolute worst was the one where they were SO AGAINST creating assets just for the kickstarter that it made their game look like trash.

People appreciate a joke in kickstarters, but you want the joke to sort of emphasize the quality of the game.

I'll put it to you this way. Maboni a game that already exists had a tutorial series about a girl and her friend/pet sheep and their adventures together, it was mostly humorous and the game could sometimes be serious (or comical... Often both at once). Yet the videos if they were a kickstarter page would be perfect because it lays down all the concepts and gameplay all in one video.

Naked dudes when someone does a once over, isn't going to win over anyone. People taste with their eyes first.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2014, 04:09:30 pm by Neonivek »

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2014, 07:48:13 pm »

I'm sitting here saying to myself "No more MMOs, no more MMOs" but dang, this game looks good, and I can't help myself. Away I go to the depths of downloading.
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2014, 05:45:37 am »

Bump(Not Really)
Anyone still playing? It'd be cool to join up with some folks to clear out the crypt some time.
I'm Ashra in game if any of you guys have seen me.
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧

Sirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2014, 08:52:32 am »

Bump(Not Really)
Anyone still playing? It'd be cool to join up with some folks to clear out the crypt some time.
I'm Ashra in game if any of you guys have seen me.

I'm playing pretty much everyday but I'm probably not in the same timezone as you (GMT+2).

I'm Aeliel in game.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2014, 11:06:27 am »

Looks kind of like a well polished MMO version of Morrowind.

Obligatory "Every action-RPG is Elder Scrolls" and inaccurate approximations out of the way, this game looks alright. I like the sounds of the skills system actually. I just don't have the urge to play a game for so long that MMOs kind of require.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 11:08:58 am by Graknorke »
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2014, 11:35:01 am »

Hmm, PHP just put out a video on this, might check it out.
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

debvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2014, 10:50:26 pm »

Is it my imagination or is development of this game going very, very slowly? I half expect it to stop dead in its tracks before 2015. I know it didn't reach its kickstarter goal and everything, but..

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
  • Science gets you to space.
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2015, 10:13:18 pm »

Well, apparently they are doing a new kickstarter now and already have it funded:  https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/projectgorgon/project-gorgon-pc-mmo

Guess I gotta try it out (and necro this thread since I didn't want to make a new one!)
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Current Project: Demon Legend
Also working on THIS! Farworld Pioneers
Mastodon

guessingo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2015, 10:27:01 pm »

I dont see anything that says this is innovative. Its old school. That isnt innovative. Ok no levels, go use skills. That can be grindy, but it can be ok. That isn't innovative. So what does it have that is innovative and not in every other game?
Pages: [1] 2