Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Project Gorgon : Amazeballs indie old school MMO  (Read 4390 times)

evilnancyreagan

• Bay Watcher
  • not regular type
    • View Profile
Re: Project Gorgon : Amazeballs indie old school MMO
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2015, 01:38:07 pm »

I tried it and like it but, the community is a little...

[imitates banjo music]

"You're not from around here, we don't like people not from around here"

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2015, 04:30:02 am »

I don't know, there are a few things mentioned that don't really exist in an MMO. "Rigid" skill choices - not in the sense of being prevented from dropping learned skills, but those skills sometimes locking you into actions (like a werewolf being locked into beast form during the full moon, or druids being "required" to assist with natural disaster events). Situational combat, though it depends on exactly what they mean by situational. Necromancy requiring actual corpses instead of just magic minions from the nether/inventory reagents; also, sounds like you can maybe have more than just one minion at a time. And those are just examples they threw on the kickstarter.

But all of those are just promises and only seem innovative because I'm imaging what they could be, not what they actual deliver on. Anyone's idea can be innovative. The test is whether it remains innovative once you actual deliver.

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2015, 05:59:01 am »

Necromancy is actually pretty cool, if a bit of a hassle. You do need to be in a graveyard to raise a minion, but, a place where multiple players have died recently counts as a graveyard.
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
  • Science gets you to space.
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2015, 12:29:30 pm »

Well, I spent a little over a week with this game, heres my thoughts:

1: I like the 'puzzles' aspect, where you have to figure things out and its not just push this button, go here, get reward, etc.  Of course, you can always cheat just like anything else on the internet, but it feels sort of Everquest in this regard.

2: The grind is 'meh' but it doesn't take long to max a chosen path out... whats really a grind is the reputation/favor grind in order to get access to goodies.  Its kind of interesting though in that any time you are out trying to get gear that you sort goodies you find in order to figure out which npcs gets what... "soandso is collecting swords,  this guy likes art, I need to save fruit to make these things later for this one" etc.  Some of it you can grind offline too which is neat (doing odd jobs for random npcs to get favor AND loot while offline).

3: Death is cheap, more or less, and of course you can even level it for permanent bonuses.   Except of course... curses:  it makes bosses a little more dangerous so you cant take them willy nilly.  At the very least, everyone who assists with a boss gets loot, so assistance and group forming can be organic.   Some of the curses are semi beneficial even (and of course, people who play as cows, etc) so thats kind of neat as well.

4: I like the dangerous environments in some places, gives it a little bit of flavor (you can dehydrate in the desert, you can die of the freezing cold in the mountains, etc). 

5: The skill system is almost like a jobs system, except you get two mains and then random side skills (limited slots on main bars and sidebars).  You have to pick and choose the few abilities you get... and a lot of the setup you have depends on what gear you get as well.  You can also make some extremely effective combos with the right gear (and in the end its mostly gear related on how powerful you are).  While leveling up other random things helps your sidebar skills, you only majorly use your main skills plus first aid/armor repair (which is a pain to level), and even then pretty much any bonus skills cost power to use so its still a choice on what to spend it on.  Also, there are drugs and stuff which can increase skill slots.

6: Inventory hell:  so, so much of the game is about managing your limited inventory space.  Thats basically one of the main reasons to favor grind: friendly npcs let you store gear.  Otherwise you can buy "bank" slots, or you can use random chests in certain locations in dungeons/elsewhere (yes, you can store your gear in dungeons).   

7:  You can definitely tell its alpha: placeholder npcs/bosses, unimplemented falling damage/drowning,  some awkwardness here and there, etc.  It doesn't necessarily detract too much from whats there at first though, and the first areas are mostly whole.

Overall, kind of charming game, some neat ideas, etc.  I threw em some money to see what they can do with it, but I'm stopping playing now cause I got things to do.
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Current Project: Demon Legend
Also working on THIS! Farworld Pioneers
Mastodon

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
  • Science gets you to space.
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2015, 03:58:19 am »

Last day of the kickstarter, looks like it just smashed its last 'party goal' of 65k.  They did really well this time, lots better than the previous 2 ones.
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Current Project: Demon Legend
Also working on THIS! Farworld Pioneers
Mastodon

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2015, 10:06:09 pm »

Jumping in tonight for a spin. I will let y'all know what this "old skooler" thinks.
I got nothing

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2015, 11:15:09 am »

Gah. Part of me wants to try this for the nostalgia, the other wants to run screaming for the hills.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2015, 12:29:21 pm »

I see Irth Online all over again....
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2015, 01:50:02 pm »

Its a legitimally interesting game, IMO, if lacking in polish, but thats to be expected of something in early development. I'm pondering if I should jump back in. Skill grinding isn't that much of an issue (with a few exceptions), but gaining favour with some NPCs can be really annoying.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.
Pages: 1 [2]