Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Have tracks (as in tracking) display how old the track is  (Read 834 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Have tracks (as in tracking) display how old the track is
« on: September 28, 2014, 01:38:13 am »

An important part of tracking is recognizing how old the track is, from fresh to old tracks. After all, if you were tracking your dinner, would you follow a week old track or a fresh one?

Hunting aside, knowing how old a track is would still be useful when trailing someone or knowing if the tracks are hours old or days or even weeks old.

You could use the same symbols for wear to show how old it is at a glance.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Have tracks (as in tracking) display how old the track is
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2014, 05:00:55 am »

Clearly this needs to be based on skill -- only legendary giving accurate freshness data all the time. Novice giving no information about freshness.

But with that caveat, yes, this sounds great.
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2014, 05:51:30 pm »

You're right on that actually.

I got the idea when I was trying to follow some dwarf tracks which I thought were someone elses, but a bit later, when tracks that I knew were my own tracks started looking like the dwarf tracks I was trying to follow, I then had a facepalm moment and realized that I had been trying to follow my own dang tracks!, lol.

I'm pretty sure that the game actually does keep track of how old the tracks are, it just needs to be displayed visually.

I thought at first maybe use the quality symbols, but that wouldn't be as intuitive.

CLA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2014, 04:04:25 pm »

Can't you already look at them and get some information about it? Like, how well the footprint is recognizable?
CLA - an ASCII-like Graphic Pack with simplified letter-like creature graphics. The simple and clean looks of ASCII with distinct creature graphics - best of both worlds!

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=105376.0

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2014, 09:09:36 am »

Can't you already look at them and get some information about it? Like, how well the footprint is recognizable?

I have seen descriptions like vague, deep, and shallow, but for me, that tells me nothing about how old it is.