Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Vaults,  (Read 11213 times)

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Vaults,
« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2014, 05:27:42 pm »

This world setup is a little rough, most of the vaults are near the edges of the map and a distance away from the human Civ that worships them.  Two are close by, but of those two one of them is for a demon that was killed by a Hydra in year 9.

When attacking the vault, the little minions are made of ash, so those go down easy.  But the Slayers are pretty tough, and can dodge or parry most of what I can throw at them.

I killed a couple, but they're pretty much evenly matched to a legendary adventurer and you need to use multi-action dodges to not be hit and crippled.

It seemed like *some* of the guardians were friendly when I went in with an ardent worshiper, though they all readily attacked my companions.  I was able to walk by a mace slayer without it engaging me, but once a minion attacked then he jumped in also.

I think going in as a Were-Vampire-Necromancer-Husk would raise the odds, but honestly this is SIGNIFICANTLY easier than taking on a necro tower, with how strong undead are in this version.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2014, 05:40:04 pm »

Angels are oddly passive. It may take them a little bit + walking by them to get them to assault you. It's a fairly common occurrence for an angel watch you horribly murder another in the same room, doing nothing at all.

Vampires are easymode for necromancer's towers. Find a vampire (easy enough; law-givers and other big names in human civs tend to be vampires), stab it, drink its blood, and leave. Find the necromancer's tower and walk right in. Due to the messed up loyalty system, the zombies will slaughter most or all of the necromancers for you and, since you're undead as well, ignore you. Grab the slab or a book and casually stroll out with your loot.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2014, 06:27:23 pm »

I think the "look at his friend getting murdered but does not react" is a bug that only happens when the killer (you) is not being seen while killing, NPC does not seem to care about their best friend being killed in their line of sight as long as the player isn't in that line of sight.

If you are seen (you're in their line of sight), angels aren't passive at by trying to kill you.
The stronger angels have 360 degree sight apparently (at least the one i fought had ), the lesser angels (the ones without any armor/weapon) have normal people line of sight.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2014, 06:32:58 pm »

Must be dynamic, I just had the opposite. 

The little weak ones with no armor or weapons had 360, the ones in divine clothing are weapons had normal vision arcs.

Also, their clothes were small so I could not use them :(

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2014, 06:51:36 pm »

I have noticed that there is a lagtime occasionally with the angels (both the lesser servants and the weapon weilding guardians) reacting to you regardless of the diety that created them and the one you worship. Their reaction will lag even if I didn't kill anything in the room.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 28, 2014, 01:01:03 pm »

Yeah, this is true.  Hostility is something of a mixed bag, some will be hostile and others will attack.  Seems random, not based on their type.  And they may become hostile later -- the lag time like you say.

I've seen the same thing with goblins and bandits, actually.  partially aggressive groups, might be able to talk to a leader for a little bit before his aggro minions show up to fight -- or a minion might stand idle while I fight his boss to the death.

Been having a rough time with my vault delving attempts.  Recent one went like this.  Promising start:

Finally generated a world with some vampires in it (somehow increasing the curse count in the advanced settings caused none to exist) but they were all roaming the wilderness after having been run out of town.

Found one hanging out near a bandit camp in a black sandy waste, and the fight was going pretty well.  That is until I licked his blood off my +iron halberd+ in the middle of the fight, then it became a simple execution.

Hoofed it to the local necro tower with my crew, told them to wait outside.  Zombies still managed to come out and kill them, even with what I thought was a reasonable distance.  Ah well, they were getting angry at me for some reason anyway (wanted to dissuade me from some course of action, though they did not say what).

Walked in to a one level high-ceiling tower, read the tablet, raised the necromancers, went outside and rescued one that had escaped alive and recruited him.  All pretty good.

Nearest vault is pretty close, so went to check it out.  The mid-level weapon masters were made of ash and went down easy, the low level guys had physical bodies but my handful of zombies made quick work of them.  An accidental dodge/fall really messed me up, and had to take an hour to heal.  Thirst set in pretty bad, and had to back out to feed on some wildlife.

Eventually found the boss creature, and man it kicked my ass.  Brutally.  Smashed all my zombies to pulp, and had me on the ropes.  Had to climb a wall to get away where it wouldn't follow, and recuperate.

Came back with a horde of reanimated divine servants and their animated decapitated heads, and swarmed the bastard.  It eventually bled out, and I reanimated it so now I have a undead divine megabeast following me.

Unfortunately, I cant find the tablet ANYWHERE.  I swear I've been through the whole place, but it is hard to tell as my hoard of minions pollutes the map with spam and I cant tell were the stairs are after I've been through.  Might have to resort to paper mapping?

Any tips for exploring these things?

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 28, 2014, 02:18:53 pm »

Wait-wait-wait... So you could have both the arch angel AND a demon as your ally? Woah... My four attempts at vaults went rather badly. Mostly because the guys up from were made of steel and amethyst. I eventually, with eighteen adventurers, got through those front guys. Archangel exploded my upper body into gore with one punch.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 28, 2014, 02:39:47 pm »

Wait-wait-wait... So you could have both the arch angel AND a demon as your ally

Well yeah, If I could find the tablet.

The archangel... or divine gigantic one eyed house sized serpant, if that's what we're calling angels these days, totally had me out-classed.

Keep in mind, I'm cheating like Tiger Woods at a... I dunno, I just lost the train of that metaphor.  Anyway, Superhuman physical stats BEFORE going vamp, so about as tough as you can get.

It was cleaning my clock, and blowing my 5 zombie palls to bits.  Exploding them into gore.

I only had a chance when I brought so many things to wrestle it, that it wasted all its actions breaking their grip.

I didn't even have room to stand amidst the crowd, had to stab it from the ground.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 28, 2014, 02:45:25 pm »

I found the tablet at the spot the archangel stood when I killed one. I was playing as a thick steel, six armed, seven headed, winged, fire immune, dragon fire breathing, extravision, no breathe-pain-fear-nausea-all those things human. Yeah, it still took a while to take the arch angel down. Freaking stupid iron spider...
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 28, 2014, 05:11:05 pm »

I found the tablet at the spot the archangel stood when I killed one.

Not the case here.  I just save-scummed to try again.  Second time through, I found the boss / archangel in a different location.  Neither the place it was originally at nor the new place had anything there.

I even tried butchering the corpse, nothing occurred.  No tablet drop.

Laid claim to the site with my god and undead minions as witness (dubious, I know) and retired there to check legends mode.  The tablet is *Supposed* to be there, but I've got nothing.

The only thing I can figure, is that I wasn't credited with the kill.  In both cases, it bled out.   Maybe the player has to be the one to kill it?

Legends credits the kill to a now named neck and head of a divine worker that I had reanimated.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 28, 2014, 05:29:09 pm »

Maybe the worker has it in his possession?

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 28, 2014, 05:54:06 pm »

maybe, but its like a head and neck with most of its teeth knocked out.  What is it going to possess anything with?  I'll load it up and check to see if it drops it, but I'm suspecting it is dynamically scripted to drop when you make the kill.

Also, I am beginning to suspect that the boss monster is scripted to spawn in the last room (or among the last rooms) you check.  Has anyone had a different experience?

The first time I found him, it was very near the entrance but in a room that I never searched until I had been through the rest of the vault.  Later times, it has been in other rooms when I was just about through exploring the entire place.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 28, 2014, 09:00:54 pm »

Alright, enough of this vault.  It's just bugged.  Maybe there is some inaccessible part that holds the slab?  Maybe it's just not here.

Tried:

exploring every room, multiple times
  • killing the thing that killed the boss
    killing everything that was in the fight with the boss, excluding myself
    killing the reanimated corpse of the boss
    butchering the boss before reanimating it
    making sure I landed the killing blow myself
    examining every tile of the room the boss fight was in, just in case it was under a corpse somewhere and the icon wasnt flashing.

I'm going to say its not here.  Unless it is under some other body in a random room that I missed on each of five runthroughs.  Or unless there is an inaccessible room (I did get a 'discovered a vast cavern' message without actually seeing an opening to a cavern) that I can't get to.

Bummer.

edit: having scaled the exterior, it looks like there is lots of unused space, incluging several entire upper floors.  I would guess that is where it is -- except that vampy-sense does not show any life-signs in there.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2014, 09:46:43 pm by puke »
Pages: 1 2 [3]