Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Siege engines  (Read 1033 times)

Sprocket809

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Siege engines
« on: September 28, 2014, 08:40:20 am »

How exactly would one go about building new siege engines? Are they editable in raws or is it simply impossible?

Suds Zimmerman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Siege engines
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2014, 08:45:36 am »

They're hardcoded. It's impossible, for all practical intents. If you want to go the impractical route, it might be possible through some heavy memory editing.
You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows
DORFAMUNDA - NECROMUNDA DF MOD

Sprocket809

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2014, 08:50:08 am »

That defeats the purpose of the mod - I'm planning to make a modpack which will be friendly to all operating systems and relatively easy to install (if you can't download an entire folder and use it to replace your raws, you could just copy/paste everything in)

Prudent Viper

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Unprofessional
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2014, 09:32:09 am »

Are we talking 3x3 creatures like wagons? If so, impossible.
*Tryrar fires Prudent Viper. Out of a cannon. Into the sun*

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2014, 09:37:50 am »

I believe Masterwork made a wagon that was capable of shooting arrows. Couldn't give you the details, but it's something.
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2014, 04:37:27 am »

You can make custom wagons with their own interactions, including material emissions.  But they will be used randomly by all civs and will only come when a wagon would

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2014, 04:47:36 am »

Masterwork uses a lot of DFHack scripts (aka memory hacking), so not everything included there is possible with a raw mod. Wagons shooting arrows should be possible with material emissions as IndigoFenix explained, however.
Modding multi-tile creatures generally is not possible seeing as it's mostly hardcoded.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

TheDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2014, 10:43:11 am »

I'm pretty sure you could use DFHack to essentially "construct" an immobile "creature" that could use interactions and stuff. If you know LUA I bet you could also write a script that uses the reactions of a custom workshop to load the "siege-engine-creature" with the least ammo. I'm inexperienced with doing custom stuff with DFHack though, so I'm not entirely sure.
I love this community. Somebody asks "hay guise how do i tame shark", and then everybody is like "why don't we fling sharks at things with complex mechanical devices?".