Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Organising workshop menus  (Read 667 times)

Sprocket809

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Organising workshop menus
« on: September 28, 2014, 11:57:26 am »

How would I go about organising the workshop menus so that not everything is in the same menu? For example, in the menu for the craftsdwarf's workshop you can choose which material you want crafted, which opens a sub-menu. Is there any way of replicating this?

scamtank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Organising workshop menus
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2014, 12:08:55 pm »

Nope, not yet.

Sprocket809

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2014, 12:15:41 pm »

Damn. It seems I'll have to cut down the number of options available or just say that for now people should use the manager menu...

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2014, 02:04:51 pm »

When I saw the topic, I thought you meant the building menu to select workshops.  A way of defining a submenu there would be really helpful... but I suspect that that, too, is not yet possible.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

TheDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2014, 03:43:50 pm »

Are you guys sure about this? I think I saw a screenshot of what I believe was MDF where they had a custom menu of some sort.
I love this community. Somebody asks "hay guise how do i tame shark", and then everybody is like "why don't we fling sharks at things with complex mechanical devices?".

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2014, 03:47:05 pm »

Are you guys sure about this? I think I saw a screenshot of what I believe was MDF where they had a custom menu of some sort.
I would love to be wrong about either type of custom menu... but I think what you saw with Masterwork was changing the game's hardcoded strings (using a "localization" patch) rather than changing the structure of the menu.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.

TheDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2014, 03:58:46 pm »

I would love to be wrong about either type of custom menu... but I think what you saw with Masterwork was changing the game's hardcoded strings (using a "localization" patch) rather than changing the structure of the menu.

I found the screenshots I was talking about.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I believe the screens are from AdvFort - but atleast custom menus seem to be possible.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 04:00:40 pm by TheDorf »
I love this community. Somebody asks "hay guise how do i tame shark", and then everybody is like "why don't we fling sharks at things with complex mechanical devices?".

scamtank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2014, 04:23:25 pm »

DFHack's add-on GUI bits are certainly a marvel, but having to know big boy programming languages and the secrets of DFHack really put them out of the everyman's reach.

Even then, I don't think you could outright inject new sub-categories into the original menus.

TheDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2014, 04:35:12 pm »

DFHack's add-on GUI bits are certainly a marvel, but having to know big boy programming languages and the secrets of DFHack really put them out of the everyman's reach.

Even then, I don't think you could outright inject new sub-categories into the original menus.

But shouldn't it be possible to replace the original menus with custom ones, into which you can then add the original stuff that you want, leave out the stuff you don't want, and then finally add anything custom?

Edit: But you're probably right that it's not an easy thing to do.

scamtank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2014, 04:45:58 pm »

Practical concerns aside, you'd have to switch to the fancy new menu manually with a keybind every goddamn time you wanted to build something AND trust every end user to figure it out and put up with it.

If you can't do your complete replacement seamlessly, it's not complete or even a replacement, it's just some extra shit shoddily tacked on top. I do have a pretty strict view on this sort of thing.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2014, 04:51:58 pm »

You're both right: it does seem to support a custom menu structure... and it's not a drop-in replacement for the in-game menus.

Depending on what the data structure looks like for one of those menus, it wouldn't hurt to include your own menus in an onLoad.init file in your mod.  Just don't depend on the end-user using it.
Just got back, updating: