Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Question about the incoming emotions.  (Read 2225 times)

RoguelikesESP

• Bay Watcher
  • The english is NOT my native language. Sorry.
    • View Profile
Question about the incoming emotions.
« on: September 28, 2014, 07:15:26 pm »

With the incoming 167 (!!!) emotions the people in the DF world will be less... Cold? I readed something about a guy killing the wife of his companion and then giving him the head, but nothing happened. Is that fixed? Also, I don't know if new emotions means less stupid/robotic people. Does it applies too or not?

PS: I can english good!

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
Re: Question about the incoming emotions.
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2014, 07:18:33 pm »

I bet they'll be fixed. I had one, one companion flip after I killed his wife, brother, and the one which set him off- his daughter. Disabled him, then butchered her. When he got up, he continued to flip out on me.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2014, 07:41:03 pm »

Maybe populations of the world will suddenly have reactions appropriate to situations they're witnessing.
Maybe nothing will really change out of just flavor text and in the end everything will stay inevitable
Maybe it will be very buggy and people will be very warmly thanking you with tears of hopeful joy when you will drink water, and will mentally breakdown and fall into depth of despair when they'll see you climbing over a wall.

Let's hope it's for the best.

RoguelikesESP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2014, 08:12:26 pm »

Maybe populations of the world will suddenly have reactions appropriate to situations they're witnessing.
Maybe nothing will really change out of just flavor text and in the end everything will stay inevitable
Maybe it will be very buggy and people will be very warmly thanking you with tears of hopeful joy when you will drink water, and will mentally breakdown and fall into depth of despair when they'll see you climbing over a wall.

Let's hope it's for the best.

Last one sounds fun. And I agree, let's hope it's for the best... I am like getting REALLY sick of

-Yo I just killed a dragon, killed his son, daughter and all his family. Then I killed a necromancer and all his creations with my bare hands. Then, after a hard day, I eaten the fresh flesh of a demon I found in a vault. Cool, huh?
-... It was inevitable.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2014, 08:32:25 pm »

Anyone who says "...It was inevetible." Gets decapitated. Sucked when the monarch in my own fort said that to me.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2014, 09:32:00 pm »

Anyone who says "...It was inevetible." Gets decapitated. Sucked when the monarch in my own fort said that to me.

it was inevitable = "sorry I have no feelings about your massive murder frenzy or know who these people you murder because I'm a recently randomly generated peasant with no backstory also don't find murder to be swell... uhh please don't kill me"
it's the no family dialog for rumors and events. or that's how I cope with no one caring about what I do... just like in real life
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

RoguelikesESP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2014, 01:38:41 pm »

because I'm a recently randomly generated peasant with no backstory

it was inevitable = "sorry I have no feelings about your massive murder frenzy or know who these people you murder because I'm a recently randomly generated peasant with no backstory also don't find murder to be swell... uhh please don't kill me"
it's the no family dialog for rumors and events. or that's how I cope with no one caring about what I do... just like in real life

If the part of "because I am a randomly generated peasant with no backhistory" it's true, the solution to all our "it was inevitable" problems would be... "inserting" (that word fits?) all the rumors to the people who just spawned in the world, right?

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2014, 03:21:04 pm »

With the incoming 167 (!!!) emotions the people in the DF world will be less... Cold? I readed something about a guy killing the wife of his companion and then giving him the head, but nothing happened. Is that fixed? Also, I don't know if new emotions means less stupid/robotic people. Does it applies too or not?

PS: I can english good!

No, players will always do cruel and sadistic things for amusement.  Gamers may have 167 emotions, but empathy aint one.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2014, 05:05:20 pm »

because I'm a recently randomly generated peasant with no backstory

If the part of "because I am a randomly generated peasant with no backhistory" it's true, the solution to all our "it was inevitable" problems would be... "inserting" (that word fits?) all the rumors to the people who just spawned in the world, right?
oh it's no solution(since if toady did give them backgrounds worldgen will be bloated as hell and no one can gen a small size world with out it taking 6 gigs of harddrive space.) since all it does is gives more random phases for them to say "they don't care." like how toady allow us access to writing our own 'we have no family' quotes.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2014, 06:06:02 pm »

No, players will always do cruel and sadistic things for amusement.  Gamers may have 167 emotions, but empathy aint one.
It depends on the situation, it's hard to feel any kind of empathy for those thousands of npc and their "it was inevitable" in front of absolutely anything and how they do not even care about anything happening in their sight, those npc are so empty and fake that even when you try to roleplay a character they do not even make illusion, so it's basically the same as you trying to care for a single common stone in the middle of a quarry.

But there's potential , because along all those emotion/reaction nothingness, you have that "my daughter/son was abducted" tale from a father/mother you encountered, and you decide to get in the goblin site the child is emprisonned into (now assuming it's not unplayable like goblin sites are unfortunately most of the time).
And you actually manage to free the child from those monsters and bring him/her back to mother/father, there you'll have the npc being thankful to you, they're happy and you can "feel" it in the dialogues, reactions from the npc that makes sense in the situation and that you can empathize with, this is what makes those npc existing, those aren't common rock in a quarry.

But sadly, those situations are extremely rare in the game, there's nearly nothing that play with emotions (positive or negative) because the immense majority is  all is about "it was inevitable" , ruining the mood and attempts at roleplaying by making those npc so devoid of everything that in the end you feel that nothing really matters, and then you give up trying to empathize and you go in random rampage because it's all that make something actually happen.

Now that's exactly why i hope for the best with the new emotions, because Toady said that a lot of them are more than only text flavor and will impact the npc, and if it really works as he hinted and is not yet leading into another buggy mess (though it could be fun) , it would make those npc less empty and so more mattering, making then the adventure mode much more interesting to play in term of character interactions and roleplay.

Maybe i'm reading too much into the potential of those 119 emotions stuff and in the end we'll still have "it was inevitable" empty npc, but i really hope the best will happens.

Nikow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2014, 04:07:07 pm »

Now they feel only 9 or so things, it can not end good. But with these 100 emotions will be more triggers, so there hopefully will be more emotions just in game. I personaly can even spend 9GB for one world, if it will be working fast. Hard disks are cheap in these times, but good depth game is worth of it.
In my fortress dwarves are dying from old age.
Dwarven wine is a little bit like good chicken soup:  solid at room temperature.

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2014, 08:55:24 pm »

Gamers may have 167 emotions, but empathy aint one.
Mostly. we just feel apathy.
Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Meow.