Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Race into Space (BARIS successor): B12 Duels of Death  (Read 1501 times)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
Race into Space (BARIS successor): B12 Duels of Death
« on: July 07, 2015, 10:07:43 am »

Ok, I've been playing Race into Space a lot lately.  For those who do not know, it is the successor to Buzz Aldrin's Race into Space (or BARIS for short).  It has a few of the bugs ironed out, but mostly it just plays easier on modern systems.  It also have a few features, most of which I revert to the BARIS system anyways.

Play-by-email apparently doesn't work, but we should be able to get it to run on a online shared desktop thingy.

Who wants to fight, and list their accomplishments?

We also need astro/cosmonauts!  Sign up for death Glory below...

Fun Fact: The newscasts are voiced, unlike the original I believe.  Of course, the American Broadcaster announces himself as Colonel Walcrite.  Apparently, the voice over guy knew that nobody can match the awesome that is Walter Cronkite.

Fun Fact #2: The Soviets are by far the harder side to play.  But they are still the best!  Why?  Because their broadcaster is a hot lady and not some old guy!  (We all love you Colonel Walcrite, but you're not a hot lady, sorry)

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Race into Space (BARIS successor): B12 Duels of Death
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2015, 03:48:01 pm »

Carter Walcrite, dammit!  I think voice on the newscasts was in the CD version, I'm not sure which version introduced it 'cause I always turned voices/sound/video off 'cause they lagged like mad...

Zazmio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2015, 05:17:04 pm »

I didn't know it was a successor to BARIS... I thought it was BARIS, just fixed so you don't need dosbox to run it.

The Soviets are a little harder, since they don't get lots of money like the Americans, but their cosmonauts seem to have better skills.  The earliest I've managed to get to the moon, without savescumming, was Fall 1968, and that was with the Soviets.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2015, 11:37:37 pm »

I didn't know it was a successor to BARIS... I thought it was BARIS, just fixed so you don't need dosbox to run it.

The Soviets are a little harder, since they don't get lots of money like the Americans, but their cosmonauts seem to have better skills.  The earliest I've managed to get to the moon, without savescumming, was Fall 1968, and that was with the Soviets.

How did you do it?

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2015, 12:59:14 am »

I don't play the USSR that much, when I did my wins were most likely with the Soyuz with the apocryphal Kicker-3 that doesn't need a separate lander, hot *damn* that's a time saver...

Zazmio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2015, 05:31:21 pm »

I don't remember exactly... I think I skipped unmanned probes and went straight to the one man capsule, got lucky with no fatalities, then skipped the two man and went straight to 3 man Soyuz, got real lucky with an early docking mission, got lucky on duration missions, then took a risk with a low percentage moon landing without properly exploring the moon, and got real fucking lucky.  In short... I got lucky.  8)

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2015, 10:09:11 pm »

So, is this free or does it cost funds? For either option, is there a good site where I could go to get this? Because it looks interesting to me, and, well, SPACE.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Zazmio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2015, 11:56:24 pm »

Right, thank you. Time to spend a hour or two learning this then!
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2015, 06:13:17 pm »

Right, thank you. Time to spend a hour or two learning this then!

He he he, it takes more than that!

Go to The Docking Module for more info and tips!