Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: Community project - TWBT - 24x Graphic set  (Read 28069 times)

Vanst7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Community project - TWBT - 24x Graphic set
« on: September 28, 2014, 10:02:08 pm »

Hello guys, i'm currently working on that tileset. I'm not really a pixel artist but the idea was to try to make a tileset where the creature and everything would be more visible, i guess.

I still have a lot to do on it, like changing the rocks (when i would know how to do it ^^). I post this here to kinda have some advise from the forum. I'm really newbie with the tileset thingy.
So please if you have any criticism feel free to  let me know.

The tileset is mainly created to be used with TWBT and should be used with costum colors because with the default one it doesnt look really good.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Thanks for your times guys and sorry for my bad english.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 03:53:08 pm by Vanst7 »

dwarf_reform

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_BUTCHERABLE]
    • View Profile
Re: Working on a tileset - TWBT
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2014, 10:56:40 pm »

I like what is there so far.. Reminds me of a board game :) People will be able to form a better opinion on the set when you've got some creature sprites up and running :> Don't give up on it!

CLA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2014, 04:34:24 am »

Fuck me, that grid thing looks great. The distinction between lower and upper levels works really well. I think I'm gonna steal that for lower elevation.
Good work so far!
Edit: Woah that really does work well. I also made the down ramp smaller, makes it easier to distinguish. You might want to steal that back :).

EDIT: AW FUCK NOT AGAIN. I keep forgetting to insert the link.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 06:50:51 am by CLA »
CLA - an ASCII-like Graphic Pack with simplified letter-like creature graphics. The simple and clean looks of ASCII with distinct creature graphics - best of both worlds!

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=105376.0

HaterSkater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2014, 06:46:17 am »

Woah that really does work <link to localhost>
Please...
i'd like to compare it
▲▲▲▲▲
;ÑÜ&,
.';,

Duerer TWBT tileset v.0.6.A

Vanst7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2014, 06:02:10 pm »

Thanks for all the reply! I wasnt able to do much right now, since i was trying to figure out how to change tiles. So i did search the net a lot without any success. I made some changes for the leaves on the trees so it fits better the rest of the tileset. I kinda wanted that the leaves in autumn just changes colors, but i just dont know how to do it. If anyone could point me out a tutorials how to change tiles i would appreciate it. (i'm noob)

Thanks CLA and dwarf_reform ! So it would be better if i make the arrows smaller? i'll try that thanks!
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 06:09:07 pm by Vanst7 »

Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2014, 06:08:41 pm »

It does look nice, but the ramps are a bit hard to spot, possibly add some shadow?

I do like it, and would consider using it once you finish. It does need work, but you are just starting. Well done!

Vanst7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2014, 10:23:56 pm »

Finnaly i figured out how to change tiles, toying with the raws.

Captn Kaladin Anrizlokum, true the ramps was not really good as they was, i made them much clearer now.
Now that i know how to change tiles i can finnaly work on it.

HaterSkater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2014, 01:15:34 am »

dude. please, continue :)
oh btw,
1. you can set pillar/tree trunk tile in d_init.txt. No need to draw O like this
2. i see that you started with vanilla curses_16x16. Point is, it's just a scaled version of default non-square tileset and contains huge amount of artefacts (see % and £ at last screenshot). consider fixing it
3. and yes ramps are completely hidden now
▲▲▲▲▲
;ÑÜ&,
.';,

Vanst7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2014, 03:10:58 am »

Thanks, HaterSkater! Yes, i do saw pretty late that i could change the trunk in the init, silly me. Ya i used the curses 16x16 but i do plan to change all tiles because yes they kinda are distorded.
I still making some progress and keep changing everything. =S I did some rock wall to kinda looks like rock. But since my tileset is pretty simplistic they all looked out of place. So i scrached that and made them plain, until i find a good way that will fit better.

I don't think my tileset would look amazing like yours HaterSkater. I really like your tileset it looks georgous.

« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 03:12:46 am by Vanst7 »

CLA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2014, 03:31:09 am »

Maaaaaan, those subdivided leaves and catkins! Those look seriously great. If you continue like this, I might just stop doing my own set and use yours.
Edit: have you tried removing another line of pixels on the outside of down ramps? I think that would look better.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 06:50:59 am by CLA »
CLA - an ASCII-like Graphic Pack with simplified letter-like creature graphics. The simple and clean looks of ASCII with distinct creature graphics - best of both worlds!

Vanst7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2014, 08:37:11 am »

Hey, thank you really much CLA! Yes, in the old design i had, i tried to make the downward ramp the same size as the lower elevation, but it was hard to see.
Now that you talk about it, i tried with the new grid i have and it work well i think, thanks.

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SLARK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2014, 08:44:32 am »

I like what's going on here, block based designs are nice. I really like what you did for the tree leaves. Hope you plan on fixing that text though.

Vanst7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2014, 09:54:09 am »

Thank you Vherid! Actually, i'm currently using one of your color scheme, it's the bone one if i remeber correctly. I was planning on making my own color scheme but yours looks really great.

A little screenshots in autumn over a river. In game it looks better because you can actually see the river flowing under the trees.

EDIT: Ok something is bugging me right now. Since i made the downward ramp smaller i find that it look better on high elevation. My problem is that i find that the pound looks worse. I dont really know what trade off would worth more. I got a comparison screenshot here.

« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 10:23:48 am by Vanst7 »

CLA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2014, 11:36:44 am »

pound
You mean pond? The small lake? Or the british pound symbol?
I assume you mean the water.
You could try making the water tiles smaller (as in, give it a black border), but that would look odd on fields and sand. Otherwise, there's no real way around it.
Maybe you could request separate graphics for submerged ramps in the TWBT thread and give those a blue background.

HaterSkater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2014, 11:48:49 am »

A little screenshots in autumn over a river. In game it looks better because you can actually see the river flowing under the trees.

YES! yellow autumn!
▲▲▲▲▲
;ÑÜ&,
.';,

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7