Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: Community project - TWBT - 24x Graphic set  (Read 27898 times)

Vanst7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Working on a tileset - TWBT
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2014, 12:28:29 pm »

pound
You mean pond? The small lake? Or the british pound symbol?
I assume you mean the water.

Oups! Sorry english is not my primary language, ya i mean a pond. Usually when i'm not sure how to write a word on english i search the net for the right prononciation but this one i was sure thats how you write it. Ya, i kinda wants to switch back to the other ramp. I'm only using  TWBT right now for the text, i don't really use the overides. Just having to modify the raws give me headaches ^^.

YES! yellow autumn!

YES! That's probably one of the main thing i like the most from the last big update. That we can see the leafs changing colors by the seasons and falling from the trees.

HaterSkater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2014, 07:16:41 pm »

YES! yellow autumn!

YES! That's probably one of the main thing i like the most from the last big update. That we can see the leafs changing colors by the seasons and falling from the trees.

I mean it's red by default, but switching leaves colour to yellow is great idea i'm going to steal some day 8)
▲▲▲▲▲
;ÑÜ&,
.';,

Duerer TWBT tileset v.0.6.A

Vanst7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2014, 08:19:01 pm »

Hum, when i first saw your message i was like 'uh oh, i messed up somthing', because i did'nt change anything on the colors. If so then i'm lucky. So i went in game  and the leaves seems to change to red later on. Maybe some trees acts differently?

But i didnt know we could do that. Is it possible to alternate some colors? Like some trees having orange color, red and yellow?

edit: Im my game actually they started yellow, then orange and finnaly red.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 08:29:29 pm by Vanst7 »

HaterSkater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2014, 09:05:01 pm »

But i didnt know we could do that. Is it possible to alternate some colors? Like some trees having orange color, red and yellow?

1. goto raw/objects/plant_new_trees.txt
2. find desired tree
3. goto section starting with [GROWTH:LEAVES]
4. find lines with [GROWTH_PRINT:...<numbers>...] and change colours.

I don't remember exact syntax but, in case of 'peach', in line
[GROWTH_PRINT:0:6:2:0:0:0:209999:1]
numbers i marked red somehow affect showing tile (someone, who know how, is requested here)
and numbers marked green affect it's colour
0:209999:1 stands for time of colour change. if you aren't going to make gameplay mod — ignore it.

And so for peach as a deciduous tree you will have four entries for stances of leave growth, 1 normal and 3 for autumn. Fix them as you like and then, in next section you also may alter colour (and even tiles) of it's flowers and fruits

P.S. about that red numbers: every tree uses code 0:6 for leaves, but thing that disturbs me is the fact that actual "branches with leaves" tile is defined in d_init.txt (default is ¼ with code 172, not 6). Flowers and fruits on trees may be altered in raws with no problem
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 09:17:16 pm by HaterSkater »
▲▲▲▲▲
;ÑÜ&,
.';,

Vanst7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2014, 10:49:17 pm »

1. goto raw/objects/plant_new_trees.txt
2. find desired tree
3. goto section starting with [GROWTH:LEAVES]
4. find lines with [GROWTH_PRINT:...<numbers>...] and change colours.

I don't remember exact syntax but, in case of 'peach', in line
[GROWTH_PRINT:0:6:2:0:0:0:209999:1]
numbers i marked red somehow affect showing tile (someone, who know how, is requested here)
and numbers marked green affect it's colour
0:209999:1 stands for time of colour change. if you aren't going to make gameplay mod — ignore it.

And so for peach as a deciduous tree you will have four entries for stances of leave growth, 1 normal and 3 for autumn. Fix them as you like and then, in next section you also may alter colour (and even tiles) of it's flowers and fruits

P.S. about that red numbers: every tree uses code 0:6 for leaves, but thing that disturbs me is the fact that actual "branches with leaves" tile is defined in d_init.txt (default is ¼ with code 172, not 6). Flowers and fruits on trees may be altered in raws with no problem

OMG, thank you a lot!! I was really wondering what the numbers after was. Its make sense now. So the first 3 green letters represent the 3 stages of colors, and i guess the counter start when autumn start? So i guess the big number represent the number of frames before changing colors?

Seriously thank you, the raws thing kinda start become clearer now. ^^

Vanst7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2014, 09:42:34 pm »

Ok, i kinda decided to stop working on that tileset, it just doesnt work. It wasnt looking good anyway. The only thing i liked was the leaves but autumn made me hate them. When the leaves falls from the trees they looks like brown leaves and not branch. I didnt like it.

But working on that tileset kinda made me addicted to make tileset, i just spend my free time doing that and i dont even play the game anymore^^. So i decided to restart from scratch. And since i'm not really a good pixel artist, i kinda choose to give me more space by using a bigger tileset. Anyway theres already a lot of good 16x16 tileset, i would not really contribuate to the community by just doing another one. So, i decided to use 20x20.

Again, i focused pretty much on the trees. Trying to get a set up that would work in every seasons. Got a screenshot of what i've done so far.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 09:49:51 pm by Vanst7 »

HaterSkater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2014, 02:48:08 am »

You may realise idea i had now and made ground tiles pattern based on Nelumbo Nucifera (google it) because trees do fit this style :)
▲▲▲▲▲
;ÑÜ&,
.';,

Vanst7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2014, 08:35:28 am »

You may realise idea i had now and made ground tiles pattern based on Nelumbo Nucifera (google it) because trees do fit this style :)

OMG, thank you so much, HaterSkater. You're my savior! Honestly yesterday, after posting my post, i was wondering how i'm gonna make my floor tiles. I really could'nt find any good idea that will fit. Then this morning i saw you're post about Nelumbo Nucifera. I had no idea what you were talking about. So i went on google search for it, then stumble on that weird looking flower that i never saw before. Then i got a flash, and all the design naturally came after it. I'm not sure if what i did, was what you had in mind.

That's why i like posting about my progress. You can get some advice from pro to really help you out. After i did my floors, bush and some placeholder for boulder and ramp, my branchs and leaves, just looked out of place. I will admit that these branch i just did some randoms brush strokes and 'tada' theres some branchs and leaves. They didnt looked good but it kinda got the job done. Now i did the leafs and branchs from scratch. Pixel by pixel trying to get a pattern that will somehow match the rest of the tileset. And i did some fixes on the big branchs and the trunk.

Here a screenshot to show my progress.

Edit: After posting that screenshot, the colors seems weird. What i mean, is the floor colors seem maybe a little too flashy compared to the trees. Hum, i would need to find a way to fix that.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 08:41:46 am by Vanst7 »

CLA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2014, 09:16:31 am »

Make they greyer instead of pure white to tone down the intensity a bit.
CLA - an ASCII-like Graphic Pack with simplified letter-like creature graphics. The simple and clean looks of ASCII with distinct creature graphics - best of both worlds!

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=105376.0

Vanst7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2014, 11:49:35 pm »

Ok, i wanted to start working on my tileset again but now that i looks a it now, i just hate everything on it. I was about to give up. My main plan when doing a tileset, was to try to achieve some good looking trees. That would look like leaves and branchs and when the leaves falls off, would look like branch. I kinda failed on both side. I want to give props to all the pixels artists on this forum. You guys are amazing, it's really hard to achieve what you have in mind working with so little pixel. So props to all of you.

But i got an idea. I reminded one of the post of ironhand on the tile magic. ( http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=56775.0 ).

I kinda studiying the raws to see how to achieve something like this. But i have no clue, and don't know if it would work on the plan i have in mind. My idea is to kinda make some a branch pattern that i would use for when the leaves falls from the tree. So the color would be brown. And for when the leaves are on the branchs, use green for the background color and brown for the foreground one. So would still see the branch and leaves together, kind of.

I don't know if my explanation is clear but i got no idea how that works. If someone have any clue if this is possible and how to do it, can you please explain it to me? I would appreciate it. Thanks!

Vanst7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2014, 04:32:01 am »

Nevermind my last post.

All my tiles right now, was replacing letters on my tileset, to kinda try to get a plan how i wanted the trees to looks like and because i didnt know how to use TWBT overides. So i decided to tranfert everything on TWBT overides after i figured out how to do it. Anyway, it was hard to play since every animals was looking like branches and trunks.

So i mainly got all the tiles i had done so far on the overides and did some tiles that was missing. Man lol, those trees now looks a little bit weird. Some of the things i had in mind works but ... this screenshot would probably explain it better. Be ready for some weirdness.

HaterSkater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2014, 04:34:19 am »

+ for 2x2 trees, looks natural
▲▲▲▲▲
;ÑÜ&,
.';,

Vanst7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2014, 06:33:56 pm »

HaterSkater, ya that was my plan, how the big trunk would looks like. But it give me some problem for the big trunk branch thingy. So i had to make them perfectly symetric to maybe make them works a little. It's not perfect really. But i think i got something i'm happy with now. How those trees works really make me pulling my hair out. It's like making a puzzle that would work on many situation. Harder then i thought.

Another screenshot of what i have so far. I will work on the floor next. Didnt like the one i had before. I'll leave my trees like that for now, i would probably work more on them later. There still some tiles to do.

Vanst7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2014, 10:45:02 pm »

Ok, i guess i lied to myself. Still working on those damn trees. Kinda wanted to try something else. I'm not totaly sure about this one but i think it looks better then the last one.

P.S. I hope people don't mind about these posts. If so, i'll stop spamming this thread. And, i don't know if that thread is in the right place, maybe it should somewhere else?

Vanst7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2014, 11:55:05 pm »

Ok, this is for those who would like to test or see how those trees looks like in-game.
You'll need Dwarf Fortress with DFHack (http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=139553.0) and the plugin TWBT, the latest development build. (http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=138754.0).
A 20x20 tileset, i personaly use Bisanam20x20 for testing purpose. (http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/tileset_repository#20.C3.9720)

You'll have to paste this on your overides from TWBT, it should be in the init folder

Lastly, you'll need to save this image in your art folder and rename it: overides-trees.png .

I recommend changing your color scheme. I personaly use one of the amazing color scheme from Vherid, Mishka. (http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=89856.0)

That's it!

P.S. not every tiles for the trees are done yet.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 11:58:57 pm by Vanst7 »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7