Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Author Topic: Community project - TWBT - 24x Graphic set  (Read 28048 times)

CLA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Working on a tileset - TWBT
« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2014, 02:05:33 am »

P.S. I hope people don't mind about these posts. If so, i'll stop spamming this thread. And, i don't know if that thread is in the right place, maybe it should somewhere else?
Nah, it's cool. It's your thread, and you post for updates and feedback. Although you could try to edit your last post instead of double posting if the new post doesn't warrant being separate.

#[OVERRIDE:172:T:TreeBranchesSmooth:2:?] # DON'T KNOW WHAT THAT IS YET
Elves use those in their forest retreats. Basically a smooth, flat, magic wooden floor.
By the way, why do you use TWBT for the trees? Neither want to use the same tiles for walls and rivers and don't have enough tiles left on the tileset?
CLA - an ASCII-like Graphic Pack with simplified letter-like creature graphics. The simple and clean looks of ASCII with distinct creature graphics - best of both worlds!

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=105376.0

Vanst7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2014, 09:04:45 am »

Nah, it's cool. It's your thread, and you post for updates and feedback. Although you could try to edit your last post instead of double posting if the new post doesn't warrant being separate.

Noted, Thanks.

Elves use those in their forest retreats. Basically a smooth, flat, magic wooden floor.

Oh! No wonder why i could'nt see them on my fortress. Thank you a lot for the info!

By the way, why do you use TWBT for the trees? Neither want to use the same tiles for walls and rivers and don't have enough tiles left on the tileset?

No, i want to keep the trees and walls seperate from each other. And i wanted to keep everything organized, with TWBT, i can do multiple tileset for each kind of thing, i just prefer it like that. I dont want to change too much thing in the raws and d-init. So with the updates i'll just have to be worried about TWBT one. Most of the main tileset would be used for world map and things i can't do with TWBT. Like the fruits, i want to make some them but i didnt saw a way to do it with TWBT.

A little progress made with the floor. Mainly testing things out for now. I did, in some way, 4 tiles of grass, soil, pebbles and rock floors. A sappling and shrub.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Vanst7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2014, 09:49:34 pm »

This is not an update on my current work but more of a TWBT trees testing. Well, it can even help anyone toying with d-init and the trees. I wanted to see how the trees really works and why my design for big trees doesnt work. Wanted to test too, if seeing the trees from the outside (bark) would look better than from the inside of the tree.

I kinda made a simplistic design of tree from scratch. Kinda figured out what was not working on my trees. The corners. Well the corners seem to be used for the big trees and the trunk branches. That's annoying, if there were 2 kind of corner one for the big trees and one for the trunk branches, it would be more amazing.

Donuts trees

I kinda made a template of the trees for TWBT if it interess anyone. If you want to work on the trees with TWBT and don't know where to start, you can use this. It doesnt contain everything but the most important one. Added an image to clearly see what tiles are.

« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 03:20:19 am by Vanst7 »

Vanst7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2014, 09:49:12 am »

Ok, i did some major change 'AGAIN' on the trees. Pretty much based on my last test. I kinda like how the branchs are merging together now. It's probably not the best way of doing it, but i can't see other way now, while staying fidel to the vanilla way of tree works. Other then that i got nothing new.

Here a screenshot in spring of the new trees.

CLA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2014, 11:36:34 am »

Looks like your trial and error is paying off slowly. The trunks look pretty good.
CLA - an ASCII-like Graphic Pack with simplified letter-like creature graphics. The simple and clean looks of ASCII with distinct creature graphics - best of both worlds!

UristWoodie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2014, 06:42:55 am »

Thumbs up on the trunks...they look very nice.

CLA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 07, 2014, 10:13:05 am »

I personally liked older trunks more, these are too thick/heavy to me.
I generally like them thinner, too (same for walls). But it's a necessity if you want multi-tile trunks to look connected and opaque, and one-tile trunks to be directly adjacent to horizontal trunks. Considering that, I think the solution Vanst7 is working towards looks good.

Vanst7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 07, 2014, 06:16:11 pm »

Looks like your trial and error is paying off slowly. The trunks look pretty good.

Thank you! Ya, my works advance painfully slow, with a bunch of errors. But i think i start going in the right direction, hopefully.

Thumbs up on the trunks...they look very nice.

Thank you!

I personally liked older trunks more, these are too thick/heavy to me.

Totaly agree with you. They are way too heavy. But like CLA explain, it was not a personal choice but more a design one. I'm pretty sure someone more talented would find a better way of doing it.But for now, i couldnt find a good compromise, to keep smaller branches and multi-tiles trees.

By the way, really loving your TWBT plugin. It's pretty much what i wished Toady would make for the game. I wouldnt have started a tileset without it.

Got a screenshot of what was the plan. Make the multi-Tiles trunks to look like this.

I don't have more update on the set, just made some change on the small trunk, so they would maybe blend better with the trunk branches. Some little fixes on the small branches.
I kinda wanted to make better leaves, but didnt find a good compromise between branches and leaves. Just tested how the leaves looks like over the seasons, theres some screenshot of it.

Vanst7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 08, 2014, 08:13:08 am »

I'm releasing my current work on the trees. They are free to use by anyone who want to use them, you can modify it as you like. I don't even ask for credit if you release a graphic set with it.

This is actualy for a 24x24 tileset.

I don't think i'll continue my work on this tileset. I kept working on various thing  but kept failling achieving anything good, nothing was worth showing. I would let people more talented actually do higher resolution tileset. I do lack experience and talent on pixel art. I'm basically better at drawing on paper, actually.
I really hope someone talented would release a 24x24 tileset for TWBT or even higher then that.

Just so you guys understand what i mean, here are some screenshot of my failed work on grass and other things.

I will maybe work on my simplistic tileset i started with for my personal use. I always like clear and simplistic  tileset. I don't even know why i started to work on this.
But i had fun working on this though. I would like thanks everyone that was giving me feedback on my work, really apreciate it.
Bye guys!

LeoCean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 08, 2014, 02:48:02 pm »

What is it that you found was a failure? That grass looks pretty cool and for that 2x2 large tree trunk you'd just add some grass texture to it where that black stands out so that it doesn't have that black border.

The only problem with the grass would be some people may think they could harvest some of that grass, especially the 4 leaf one but it still looks nice, it'd be preferable if such grass was used to replace certain plants. Is your problem with the limestone pebble spots that show up?

Anyways I'll probably add this to the override set I have at some point well I'll have to edit it since I don't like the leaves and may use a earlier edition of the trees as they stand out way to much, I'd prefer that they looked like they had bark and didn't look like they were already processed. I've no idea yet though as I may change my mind that I like the way they are when I look into it myself. As I don't want to spend days on trees again. To me the trees look pretty unrealistic but that's probably because of how Toady made them.

I quite like that bottom right room what tileset is that from?

Vanst7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 08, 2014, 07:58:15 pm »

What is it that you found was a failure? That grass looks pretty cool and for that 2x2 large tree trunk you'd just add some grass texture to it where that black stands out so that it doesn't have that black border.

The only problem with the grass would be some people may think they could harvest some of that grass, especially the 4 leaf one but it still looks nice, it'd be preferable if such grass was used to replace certain plants. Is your problem with the limestone pebble spots that show up?

Anyways I'll probably add this to the override set I have at some point well I'll have to edit it since I don't like the leaves and may use a earlier edition of the trees as they stand out way to much, I'd prefer that they looked like they had bark and didn't look like they were already processed. I've no idea yet though as I may change my mind that I like the way they are when I look into it myself. As I don't want to spend days on trees again. To me the trees look pretty unrealistic but that's probably because of how Toady made them.

I quite like that bottom right room what tileset is that from?

Well, to be honest, pretty much eveything was a failure to start with. I did a lot of attempt on pretty much eveything, but they didnt blend well together. On those last screenshot i showed, you can see some tiles that doesnt fit with rest. They just look like a buch of graphics put together. The trees trunk wasnt a problem, but i would have put the dark space brown instead, so they kinda fit in the trees. I was kinda happy with the grass actually, but like i said nothing fit together. The big 4 leaves are actually bush, i did a sapling too. I just added some flower on the grass to put a little bit more variety onto them.

The reason i decided to stop working on it now, it's because i didnt made much progress, and i felt like i would abandon it at some point.  I got some major personal problem that would make me abandon it. I'm kinda a perfectionist, lack confidence on myself and skills and i'm bad at pixel art. All those put together, would just make me restart everything over and over and never be satisfied on what i have done.

The floor of the room on the bottom right, was supposed to be the smooth stone. If you like it, it can be easily reproduced. It was not a complicated design.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 08:00:04 pm by Vanst7 »

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 08, 2014, 08:53:52 pm »

For what it's worth, I've been quietly watching this, and thought you were making great progress.  I think your trees, especially, look really great at this point.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Vanst7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 08, 2014, 10:43:05 pm »

For what it's worth, I've been quietly watching this, and thought you were making great progress.  I think your trees, especially, look really great at this point.

Oh. Thank you, sure your post actually worth. To be honest, i was sure no one was following this or was interrested in it. Other maybe then CLA, that was pointing me out thing and said when i was going in the right direction. I kinda feel bad abandoning it, if there was some people interested. I thought abandoning right now was better than waiting later, when i would be more advanced on it.

But, i'm sure someone would pop up of no-where with something amazing.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7