Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: Community project - TWBT - 24x Graphic set  (Read 28074 times)

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: Working on a tileset - TWBT
« Reply #45 on: October 09, 2014, 12:21:31 am »

Honestly nobody is forcing you to do anything, it's just a weird hobby so don't feel bad :). It's not like you are ignoring your job or something.

And yeah, there may be not a lot of feedback, but mainly because a lot of DF players tend to keep to themselves and don't openly express appreciation all the time. Your work here is still amazing though.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Vanst7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 09, 2014, 07:41:59 am »

And yeah, there may be not a lot of feedback, but mainly because a lot of DF players tend to keep to themselves and don't openly express appreciation all the time. Your work here is still amazing though.

Yeah, i was like that, too. I used most of the amazing tileset here and never really showed how much i love them. =/
But, i don't want  the peoples to think i did this thread to get appreciation, though. The main reason i did start that thread was because i was so noobie that i had no idea what i was doing. I hoped to get some tips and criticism. By the times, that thread mainly become kinda like a blog on my progress^^.

UristWoodie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 09, 2014, 07:51:03 am »

Still following. :)

...and I d/l all your stuff, so I can add it to my "favorites" mashed-up tileset and over-rides.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #48 on: October 09, 2014, 10:59:29 am »

For what it's worth, I've been quietly watching this, and thought you were making great progress.  I think your trees, especially, look really great at this point.

Oh. Thank you, sure your post actually worth. To be honest, i was sure no one was following this or was interrested in it.
I've been following it since the beginning. :)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

IronSI

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 09, 2014, 05:44:52 pm »

I too have followed from the beginning, but never said anything for several reasons:
1. I don't use high res tilesets, but go for small ones to fit as much in a fullscreened game as possible.
2. I don't have enough artist/pixelart/tileset/TWBT experience to be good at any of this.
3. You always seemed to be making progress, faster than any advice I might have.
4. I don't talk much.

All that said, your tileset has the makings of an excellent high res tileset, easily one of the best out there (Very few tilesets have been made for TWBT, so yours is an important one for setting conventions and start that category of tilesets.

My recommendation (based on reading other tileset author's threads) would be to try to get something functional across the board, then going on to polish everything up until you are satisfied. Skills will come, and eventually either you will move on to something else or finish up the project.

Vanst7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 09, 2014, 07:08:10 pm »

My recommendation (based on reading other tileset author's threads) would be to try to get something functional across the board, then going on to polish everything up until you are satisfied. Skills will come, and eventually either you will move on to something else or finish up the project.

Dude, seriously, thanks for your post. You're totaly right. When starting working on the ground, i was focusing too much on single tiles, instead to get something that work right all together. What made me drop everything was the rock floor. Trying to make 4 tiles of rock floor, wich by the end,  was not fitting at all together. I did restart them many times without success. Now that i think about it, i was just working the wrong way, probably because of my lack of experience on making tiles for a game.

To be honest, after those post, i had some free times, and did work on my first 16x16 tileset i was working on, on the first place. I did made some good progress that i was happy with, and wanted to go back to my other set to see what i can do. Still working on it, trying to change what was not working on the trees^^.

Thanks guys!

So, i kinda came back to it, i guess i just had to stop a little bit and think about a better way of doing it. Right now i'm just shy to post anything about it. Since i get some feedback from my dumb post about stoping it, i just scared that the peoples would think that i'm just an attention-whore. (not sure if it's the way to say it in english).

Vanst7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 10, 2014, 08:24:00 am »

Ok, i'll post on what i'm working now. To kinda carry on the blogging thing^^.

I kinda have a feeling that peoples excepting me, didnt like the leaves. So i redid them from scratch and for some reason, changing them got rid of some flickering issue i had in-game. So seem they were pretty bad in fact.

Then i wanted to make the fruits, pollens, etc.. So i had to modify the raws to be able to mix leaves with them. (i hate having to modify the raws, i don't really like to do modding). So now i can have for example, red apples and green leaves on the same tiles. I didnt make ,for now, tiles for every fruits, i just got one to represent all of them. But i might do some of them. For exemple, it would be cool to clearly see that some trees have bananas on it. I'll probably try that later.

And one other thing i wanted to do. Having different type of leaves. For example having a tiles for the leaves for the conifers. This would add more variety to the trees. The problem was that the d-init overides the leaves for all the trees. So i tried to leave the d-init for leaves blank to see if i can modify the leaves from the raws. It kinda works, but the twigs dont like it. They all went black.

[GROWTH_PRINT:0:6:2:0:0:ALL:1] <=== By changing the 0, i was able to change the leaves, but seem that by changing that 0, it screw the twigs. Maybe if there were some way to get rid of the twigs, it would make that working. So maybe we could have branches when the leaves fall off the tree.

The magrove tree in plant_standard seem to have some setting that other trees dont have.

These values control the growth of the multi-tile tree.

[TRUNK_PERIOD:10]
   [HEAVY_BRANCH_DENSITY:25]
   [BRANCH_DENSITY:50]
   [MAX_TRUNK_HEIGHT:4]
   [HEAVY_BRANCH_RADIUS:1]
   [BRANCH_RADIUS:2]
   [TRUNK_BRANCHING:2]
   [MAX_TRUNK_DIAMETER:1]
   [TRUNK_WIDTH_PERIOD:200]
   [ROOT_DENSITY:5]
   [ROOT_RADIUS:3]

These parameters below are the default values for twig placement, and do not appear in other plant entries that use the default values.  Zero and one are the only accepted values right now.

[TWIGS_SIDE_BRANCHES:1]
   [TWIGS_ABOVE_BRANCHES:1]
   [TWIGS_BELOW_BRANCHES:0]
   [TWIGS_SIDE_HEAVY_BRANCHES:0]
   [TWIGS_ABOVE_HEAVY_BRANCHES:0]
   [TWIGS_BELOW_HEAVY_BRANCHES:0]
   [TWIGS_SIDE_TRUNK:0]
   [TWIGS_ABOVE_TRUNK:0]
   [TWIGS_BELOW_TRUNK:0]

I dont know if this can be applied to the other trees by adding it. If yes, then it would make it able to control the trees i guess. But i'm too noob about the raws modification.

CLA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 10, 2014, 09:20:08 am »

Quote from:  Vanst7
[separate tiles for conifers]
I was thinking about how to do that without changing raws too much, too. It would have been nice if you could add plant graphics like you can add creature graphics (i.e. without changing raws, just adding graphics to what you need), but in absence of that I haven't gotten any further than you did either.
CLA - an ASCII-like Graphic Pack with simplified letter-like creature graphics. The simple and clean looks of ASCII with distinct creature graphics - best of both worlds!

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=105376.0

Vanst7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 10, 2014, 10:16:15 am »

Quote from:  Vanst7
[separate tiles for conifers]
I was thinking about how to do that without changing raws too much, too. It would have been nice if you could add plant graphics like you can add creature graphics (i.e. without changing raws, just adding graphics to what you need), but in absence of that I haven't gotten any further than you did either.

Ya, that would make it so much easier.

Actually found a way to do it. I did some test with the willow tree. By adding :

[TWIGS_SIDE_BRANCHES:0]
   [TWIGS_ABOVE_BRANCHES:0]

It completly removed the twigs from the tree. So now by setting in my d-init the leaves blank, i can control wich leaves would be used by trees. But to have this to work, i had to regen a world. The only problem there seem to be less leaves on the trees. Just need to find a way to add row of leaves. So in some way, its possible to define wich leaves would be used like that. Still figuring, how to add an extra row of leaves.

Edit: Adding [BRANCH_RADIUS:3], i think does add a row of  leaves, not 100% sure though.

Edit2: Now that i think about it, it's not a good idea, since this kind of modification need to regen a new world.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 12:06:09 pm by Vanst7 »

LeoCean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 10, 2014, 08:09:49 pm »

Only when you add new things to the raws and not edit what is currently there contained in the [:->], shouldn't really be bothered by changes that may require a new world though. Just keep it in mind and document it as best you can.

Vanst7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 11, 2014, 02:56:21 pm »

Small update, i'm currently working towards, kinda like a half-finished playable version. (so if i stop working on this at some point, i would have a version out.) Focusing pretty much on the environment.

I worked on better leaves. This cause some problem that i don't like. Theses leaves doesnt fit on some trees, especially the conifers. I spent a long time trying to figure out a way to have more variety on the leaves without success.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I did some test with the fruits, pollens, flowers, etc.. These was trying to figure out how to use the background color for them. Just need a better way to represent them now. By using the same tile as the leaves, it makes the fruits, flowers, just appear in the leaves, instead of seeing the tile change.

Since the great mifki, added a way to change tile color, i used that to give some color to the flowers on the grass.

And some other small changes.

Now, i need to make a new fort to can work on the sand (this one doesnt have any). After that, i would probably start working on all water tiles (pond, river and brook), and the walls (Soil, rocks and sand walls).
« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 03:01:12 pm by Vanst7 »

Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum

« Reply #56 on: October 11, 2014, 03:14:56 pm »

I think those are my favorite trees so far, but the grass is a bit too complex to match them. Do you think you could simplify it somehow? Thee flowers in it look great though.

The smoothed floor looks good! And the smoothed wall could become more brick like to match the floor... And then it would match!

CLA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 11, 2014, 03:22:18 pm »

Ohhh, the leaves look nice.
You could try making a tile that looks like needles when the background is black, and like leaves when the background is green. Same way engravings work.
CLA - an ASCII-like Graphic Pack with simplified letter-like creature graphics. The simple and clean looks of ASCII with distinct creature graphics - best of both worlds!

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=105376.0

Vanst7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 11, 2014, 03:41:12 pm »

I think those are my favorite trees so far, but the grass is a bit too complex to match them. Do you think you could simplify it somehow? Thee flowers in it look great though.

The smoothed floor looks good! And the smoothed wall could become more brick like to match the floor... And then it would match!

Thank you. Hum, maybe you're right about the grass, would see if i can simplify them. I wasn't sure about the smoothed floor, so thanks. Ya, that was kinda my plan for smooth walls, not sure if i would be able to do it. Since the way i want to do Walls.

Ohhh, the leaves look nice.
You could try making a tile that looks like needles when the background is black, and like leaves when the background is green. Same way engravings work.

Thanks. Not sure i understand what you mean. I never knew how people did the engraving (like Spacefox did). But i think i start to understand how to do them. Seems to be too complicated for my small brain.^^

HaterSkater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 11, 2014, 03:42:22 pm »

I see, that you are using photos or photorealistic drawings for your environment. If that so, make your walls same way ASAP. You can take simple two-brick-pattern out of photo of wall and turn it into your wall tiles. It will be awesome  :D

UPD: On your last post: search through forum for ironhand's topic called "Tile magic", everything was explained there
« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 03:45:27 pm by HaterSkater »
▲▲▲▲▲
;ÑÜ&,
.';,

Duerer TWBT tileset v.0.6.A
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7