Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7

Author Topic: Community project - TWBT - 24x Graphic set  (Read 28062 times)

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
Re: Working on a tileset - TWBT
« Reply #75 on: October 15, 2014, 06:12:02 pm »

that's.. interesting.
you better ask mifki
i remember something like that in 3.43 (main branch), but i'm using twbt-nextgen and never experienced that
If I recall correctly, TWBT only redraws tiles that would change in vanilla.  Scrolling in a way that changed a tile into something else using the same glyph (like snow and water) wouldn't trigger a redraw.  mifki might have switched over to redrawing the whole screen each frame, I'm not sure.

Yep, it's a problem.. it won't update tile if neither glyph nor its colours changed. Do sand / snow / brook tiles have the same colours as well? It's not an option to switch to whole screen updates, so I don't know at the moment how to fix this:(

LeoCean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 15, 2014, 09:18:32 pm »

that's.. interesting.
you better ask mifki
i remember something like that in 3.43 (main branch), but i'm using twbt-nextgen and never experienced that
If I recall correctly, TWBT only redraws tiles that would change in vanilla.  Scrolling in a way that changed a tile into something else using the same glyph (like snow and water) wouldn't trigger a redraw.  mifki might have switched over to redrawing the whole screen each frame, I'm not sure.

Yep, it's a problem.. it won't update tile if neither glyph nor its colours changed. Do sand / snow / brook tiles have the same colours as well? It's not an option to switch to whole screen updates, so I don't know at the moment how to fix this:(

No they should have different colors and the only time they wouldn't is when you have white sand, it could be just because the brook or w.e it is is frozen that it looks like snow. I do know it uses the same tiles and sand and usually, I don't think snow uses that tile usually though but I don't embark in snow zones often so I wouldn't know.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 09:20:47 pm by LeoCean »

Vanst7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 16, 2014, 12:28:30 pm »

that's.. interesting.
you better ask mifki

Ya, the biomes i embarked was a tundra biomes. Sands, grass, rocks would use the snow tile 247 ≈ white. If the brook is in ice, it can be covered with snow and would be seen as that tile too. I think the way to counter that, would probably to use the same tile for sand and water without the overide.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 12:32:03 pm by Vanst7 »

Vanst7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 20, 2014, 03:42:52 pm »

Small update:

I'll admit i didnt work that much on the tileset these last days. Just tried to make all the rocks wall and floor. Got 9 types of rocks wall and 4 types of floor. They arent so great but i think they better then the last one i had.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And tried another kind of grasses.

I just want to make this update to let you know what i wish from this tileset.

I dont want it to be my personal tileset but become more of a community project where everyone can provide tiles to it. There a lot of tiles to do with TWBT and theres even more talented peoples on this forum. Just by looking at all the great tileset that has been done or the amazing work from the Stonesense guys. This game need a higher resolution tileset, most of the graphics set are still 16x. So if peoples could contribuate to a community tileset it would be great. Even if its to replace my tiles, i dont mind. I know a lot of them doesnt look great.

I'm pretty sure some people doesnt have the time to focus on a tileset by their own, so if we could put our hand together, i'm sure we can achieve a great tileset. I wont take any credit for others ones work, the initial plan for this tileset was to give something to the community. Ive been silently following this game for a long time now, using many of the great graphic set and tileset, and just wanted to contribuate back to the community.

I dont think this will be a great tileset if i do it on my own. All the time i've been put on this tileset, i just wished someone more talented  would release one so i can't stop working on it.^^

Rogue Yun

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware of the Carp
    • View Profile
Re: Community project - TWBT - 24x Graphic set
« Reply #79 on: October 20, 2014, 05:20:44 pm »

I can understand where you are coming from.

I'm certainly not one of the more talented people, but I would love to help, despite my inexperience as a pixel artist.

I'm still learning how to use TWBT as well. Is there any specific tile you would want someone to work on?
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 05:37:42 pm by Rogue Yun »

.:Simple Mood 16x16 ASCII:.
Keep it Simple. Keep it Safe.

lysaght

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 20, 2014, 06:11:12 pm »

Love this tileset mate~ PTW +1 and all that

Vanst7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 20, 2014, 08:01:25 pm »

I can understand where you are coming from.

I'm certainly not one of the more talented people, but I would love to help, despite my inexperience as a pixel artist.

I'm still learning how to use TWBT as well. Is there any specific tile you would want someone to work on?

I'm pretty sure you more experienced in pixel art then i am. ^^
I'll provide my DF folder so you can see what i have done so far. And maybe could help you, by looking at the overides, learn more about TWBT. Feel free to change anything, or work on new thing.

DF folder pre-installed with the tileset and with a save i've been testing with: http://www.mediafire.com/download/ebun8v2zdwkto3k/testing.7z

Love this tileset mate~ PTW +1 and all that

Thank you buddy!

Vanst7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 22, 2014, 12:13:43 am »

Tiny update:

I decided to start working on the walls. I wanted them to have some '3d effect' on it so they would actually look like proper wall. The problem is the natural stone wall was looking like flat floor beside it. So i decided to go for flat walls. The whole design of the graphic set right now, is mostly from a top view, i want to continu like that, but this cause me some problem on some item. Some of them are hard to make from the top view and still be distinguable.

I did the walls like bricks but i saw that on TWBT, contructed wall can have their own tiles. I don't know what to do. Brick walls would make more sense for contructed wall. Unless i make some other kind of bricks for the constructed walls. I hope theres a way to have seperated tiles for wooden and stone contructed walls and floors. I didnt see if that was possible.

A screenshot of the walls currently:
They still need some ajustment i think.

EDIT: I don't know why, but all the screenshots i posted so far, they seem to be distorted in some way. The picture i have on my computer is fine. I guess the hosting site kinda distort them? Seem weird. Nevermind, my browser was zomed in. Making them look distorted.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 12:42:50 am by Vanst7 »

Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum

« Reply #83 on: October 22, 2014, 12:17:34 am »

I really like the walls, but the doors don't fit with them. Change the outline of the doors probably?

And the block wall is supposed to be more smooth, right? Less claimable anyways... It could be different bricks? I like the walls how they are actually.

Vanst7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 22, 2014, 12:27:57 am »

I really like the walls, but the doors don't fit with them. Change the outline of the doors probably?

And the block wall is supposed to be more smooth, right? Less claimable anyways... It could be different bricks? I like the walls how they are actually.

The bricks around the door look out of place?. It's because the image i used as example. (http://vanblam.deviantart.com/art/Stone-Door-Way-206507799)
I wanted to give them a more rocky door feeling. I think you're right,  i should change that.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 22, 2014, 11:50:05 am »

Suggestion:

Try to make walls, ramps, etc darker and more saturated as compared to the ground/floor around them.  Just a basic principle to help with the illusion of depth.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

LeoCean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 23, 2014, 12:02:25 am »

Hmm I do like those walls, I can't tell if they are smoothed or engraved though. I'm guessing that small outline may be the only thing that would change when engraved but I'm not sure and even if that was so it'd be what I'd expect/ would think looks nice.

Idk if I could get use to those floors though they stand out but I much prefer floors that mash together and look like they fit together the ones you are using are acting like separate entities in my mind. I'll never like that stone flooring but it's not what I like that matters. :P

I think it'd look nicer if you used a background for those objects that you have no backgrounds for the chests and rocks anyways because that pure black background on all those objects is quite dastardly.  :P But that's from a guy who doesn't play with text based graphics like you are currently using (the dwarves and creatures). I did like the grass though.

The issue with the doors can be fixed by just lowering the top of the door a little it's not to big of a deal and may not be that noticeable ingame but when you notice it, you can't unsee it.

Vanst7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 23, 2014, 05:08:09 am »

Suggestion:

Try to make walls, ramps, etc darker and more saturated as compared to the ground/floor around them.  Just a basic principle to help with the illusion of depth.

Ya, that would make sense. I just followed what the other graphics sets did, which all seem to have the ground darker then the walls. But having the ground darker would probably make it easier to see items on the ground, i don't know. If i make the gound lighter, furniture would have to be darker which could cause some problem.

Another small update: I decided to not go for a top view for everything, which cause me a lot of problem on some furniture. While working on them, the mess from the outdoor started to annoy me, so i decided to make some change on them. I removed the dark color on the grass that was making the grass look like a chessboard. Changed the schrub that looked like 4 leaves. Tried a new kind of leaves for the trees. I decided too, to remove the flower, they were confusing and made the exterior kinda busy, making hard to find saplings and bushs. Anyway when i made them i didnt knew they were actually flowers that grow on the grass.

CLA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 23, 2014, 09:56:54 am »

Ohh, the leaves and grass look pretty good now.
CLA - an ASCII-like Graphic Pack with simplified letter-like creature graphics. The simple and clean looks of ASCII with distinct creature graphics - best of both worlds!

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=105376.0

LeoCean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 23, 2014, 01:45:30 pm »

The new shrubs and rocks look cool, only problem is they look like they are taken from a another game and that could cause problems.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7