Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]

Author Topic: Community project - TWBT - 24x Graphic set  (Read 28040 times)

Vanst7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Community project - TWBT - 24x Graphic set
« Reply #90 on: October 23, 2014, 07:03:18 pm »

Hmm I do like those walls, I can't tell if they are smoothed or engraved though. I'm guessing that small outline may be the only thing that would change when engraved but I'm not sure and even if that was so it'd be what I'd expect/ would think looks nice.

Idk if I could get use to those floors though they stand out but I much prefer floors that mash together and look like they fit together the ones you are using are acting like separate entities in my mind. I'll never like that stone flooring but it's not what I like that matters. :P

I think it'd look nicer if you used a background for those objects that you have no backgrounds for the chests and rocks anyways because that pure black background on all those objects is quite dastardly.  :P But that's from a guy who doesn't play with text based graphics like you are currently using (the dwarves and creatures). I did like the grass though.

The issue with the doors can be fixed by just lowering the top of the door a little it's not to big of a deal and may not be that noticeable ingame but when you notice it, you can't unsee it.

Sorry, that i didnt repond to your post in my last update. I was in a rush before going to work, i was kinda late.

These walls are not engraved now, i just hope theres a way with TWBT to make graphics for walls engraved separately. If not then idk what i would do =/.

Ya, i do try a lot of design for floor until i find something that looks good. I was sastified for now but something was wrong with them but i couldnt point out what. With your post, i realised whats wrong with them, and you're totally right. Came back with the other floor for now. Most of the items right now, use the ASCII from Bisanam, i plan on doing them. I dont like it either when there black background behind them.

Ya, would try that with the door, i did mess around with it but it always look out of place.

Ohh, the leaves and grass look pretty good now.

Thank you!

The new shrubs and rocks look cool, only problem is they look like they are taken from a another game and that could cause problems.

Hum, dont know what you mean. Do they look out of place or do you claim i stole these graphic from another game? I didnt stole anything from another game. I do follow some pixel art tutorial on the net, and use some graphic as example. My result look always worse then the original, unfortunatly. If you want, i can show you on what i based the bush and rocks on. You would see that the original looks way better then what i did.

LeoCean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 23, 2014, 07:57:26 pm »

I was just asking about the bushes and the rocks they looked really neat and I wanted to know if you made them or not.  :P Whether they were or not doesn't matter to me for personal uses. They do indeed look like they add a 2.5d effect to the game and I really like them.

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
« Reply #92 on: October 23, 2014, 08:33:01 pm »

These walls are not engraved now, i just hope theres a way with TWBT to make graphics for walls engraved separately. If not then idk what i would do =/.

There was some discussion about engravings recently. I'm a bit busy currently to follow different threads, so if you know what exactly is missing from twbt that you and possibly other modders need, post it in twbt thread and make sure I noticed)

Vanst7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 30, 2014, 12:34:01 am »

Small update:

I didnt make any major progress on the graphic set, i'm feeling really sick these last days but i still made some testing.
I only worked on the grass, wich i wasnt sastified for many reason. Every grass i did make so far was bland and made all the biomes looking the same. Those grass didnt use all the potential from tWBT, and since this graphic set is a test to see what we are able to do with it, i thought i should use more overides for the grass.

The grass didnt fit on many biomes too, like for example, the rocky wastleland. I was tired too to see the same green over and over, the exterior lacked some 'personality' if i can say so. So i went in the raws and gave every grass their own tile, and plan to make unique tiles for each one of them. I only did made 9 of them so far. With this every biomes would (i hope) kind of get a different look.

And to make every tiles kinda unique i had to use more colors, so Mifki proposed to use white as foreground color, so i could directly color the tiles. It kinda works, but you have to make the tiles way darker then you want, because in-game they would be lighter. Si i had to see many times in game to see if the tiles had the color i want.

My grass tiles are not great but it kinda show that this could be possible, and hope if there anyone toying with TWBT would try something like this. I did google every grass to try to get the real look they have but its too hard for me, i tried the best i can. Some grass do have the same look, so i tried to use some different color so they would be distinguable.

A screenshot to show how this look in-game:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

What i like with this, is that you have more colors to play with and give the grass a more wild look.

HaterSkater proposed too, to have TWBT look for tile and color for overides. If Mifky implement that, i think it would be possible to do the same for leaves. Having more colors in them and variety of shape depending on the trees.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 12:36:35 am by Vanst7 »

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 31, 2014, 02:07:24 am »

While I can see that you actually did incorporate a lot of the different grass types in the most recent one, I really liked the look of this one:

but I generally turned varied ground off or otherwise I start trying to remove unmatching tiles and go grazy building weird ramp/ditch/ridge layouts. I am a fellow bisasam lover though, the crispness of a 24x24 tileset is so easy to get used to on a bigger screen. I found a 24x24 compatible spacefox upscale too, though I forget where I grabbed it from, but it works well with the bisasam based set I use now.

Keep poking at it, I fully understand the frustration of trying to get something looking right at 24x24 (I wish I could burn my experiments making curved bisasam walls >.> so awful) but you've got a good knack at picking out the features that stand out right at this size. Totally gonna steal your boulders I think, btw, as they look like they'll go perfect with the spacefoxy setup.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 02:09:14 am by Max™ »

Vanst7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 31, 2014, 04:08:50 am »

While I can see that you actually did incorporate a lot of the different grass types in the most recent one, I really liked the look of this one:

but I generally turned varied ground off or otherwise I start trying to remove unmatching tiles and go grazy building weird ramp/ditch/ridge layouts. I am a fellow bisasam lover though, the crispness of a 24x24 tileset is so easy to get used to on a bigger screen. I found a 24x24 compatible spacefox upscale too, though I forget where I grabbed it from, but it works well with the bisasam based set I use now.

Keep poking at it, I fully understand the frustration of trying to get something looking right at 24x24 (I wish I could burn my experiments making curved bisasam walls >.> so awful) but you've got a good knack at picking out the features that stand out right at this size. Totally gonna steal your boulders I think, btw, as they look like they'll go perfect with the spacefoxy setup.

Thanks for your reply on this, yes totally agree, my other grass looked way better then what i have now. I actually try to make them look better, as these one was to show what i wanted to achieve. Since every types of grass seem to only appear on some biomes, i wanted to give every biomes a different look, so a savannah and a forest biomes would end up not having the sames kind of grass. That idea came from the stonesense guys:

I would like to be able to achieve the same kind of look they have there. I did post this to see if some people would be interested in this or if it's better to stick to only one kind of grass. Because there's probably like more then 20 kind of grass in the raws. If what i'm doing end up looking bad, i would just switch back to the other grass i have.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 31, 2014, 05:23:33 am »

Well, I'm not the best critic there, my grass usually looks like this when it isn't covered in vomit or magma:
...it took far too long to find a screenshot which didn't have the grass burnt away or completely under magma.

These are what I ended up being satisfied with after mixing and matching pieces of other sets, though as I said I'm gonna end up swapping in your boulders because they'll look way better.
A mix of bisasam and phssthpok 24x24 tilesets I hacked together in gimp, not my own work.
I was pretty happy with the changes from being able to use TWBT and I just love spacefox dorfs running around covering everything in vomit and magma, but I'm always surprised more people don't make or use 24x24 sets.

Actually thinking about it, the grass you did (and the leaves and trunks) are PERFECT twbt type things, because there is no doubt that someone will love having the option to use them for overrides, so hey, it's allllll good as far as I can see. Gonna have to see if I can swap some of your leaves in for the trees too, I mostly just see them as a source of lumber, having them look nice too would be cool.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 05:41:41 am by Max™ »

LeoCean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 31, 2014, 03:35:38 pm »

Yeah it may be better to think that way and just use leaves for the branches and stuff because that wood isn't important to see, maybe leave the pillars but all the other things perhaps it'd look better if they were just leaves.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 31, 2014, 10:11:31 pm »

Yeah, definitely some useful art resources to work in since twbt makes it so much more customizable, and though it isn't the right thread, thanks for keeping spacefox updated!

I found where I got the 24x24 spacefox stuff!

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=140161.msg5461078#msg5461078

drstupid upscaled them some time back it seems, wasn't posting here yet when I found the tiles and saved them in my "I'm sure I'll be glad to have this so I compulsively save every 24x24 tileset I find because there aren't enough of them" folder.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 10:40:09 pm by Max™ »

Vanst7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 01, 2014, 08:55:31 pm »

Totally gonna steal your boulders I think, btw, as they look like they'll go perfect with the spacefoxy setup.

Here is the boulder i use. Nice tileset you got there.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: November 01, 2014, 10:28:57 pm »

It's mostly Bisasam parts like you use, just with the Phssthpok 24x bits for the smoothed walls and I think the bed+some of the minerals now that I can use them with twbt, and thanks, I'll have to swap that in in a bit.
Looks great, works much better with the semi-cartoony spacefox look.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2014, 10:48:40 pm by Max™ »

perkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 20, 2014, 02:50:07 pm »

Hey people love what you are doing.
Question. Developing graphic for DF requires scripting ? Or it is just different image change ?
I would love to do my own ground tiles as almost every graphic pack have really annoying ground textures.

HaterSkater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 20, 2014, 04:27:03 pm »

Hey people love what you are doing.
Question. Developing graphic for DF requires scripting ? Or it is just different image change ?
I would love to do my own ground tiles as almost every graphic pack have really annoying ground textures.
Just different image change. Basically. However you may need to change raws, if you want to switch tiles and/or colours of certain items + using of TWBT plugin requires you to write overrides.txt file. It's not a hard task though, most difficult part here is to track changes of raws
▲▲▲▲▲
;ÑÜ&,
.';,

Duerer TWBT tileset v.0.6.A

Rogue Yun

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware of the Carp
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 20, 2014, 04:31:30 pm »

It depends on what you are trying to change and how. I would recommend doing some research on:

Tilesets
"Text will be text"

And researching the DF/raw/graphics/graphics_example.txt

The DF/data/init/init.txt and d_init.txt files also have some graphics modifications you might want to look into and understand.

But I would fist look at and understand the tilesets wiki before I did anything. If you can fix your problem there then you won't have to go into the more complex graphics system or twbt plugin.

Having and knowing how to use a good image editor helps a ton as well. Gimp is a good free one. But there are other ones out there.

And I hope to see more done with this tile/graphics/twbt set as well. It looked like it was going in an awesome direction.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 04:40:45 pm by Rogue Yun »

.:Simple Mood 16x16 ASCII:.
Keep it Simple. Keep it Safe.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]