Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Way to tell how someone died?  (Read 17591 times)

Absentia

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
Re: Way to tell how someone died?
« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2014, 10:50:30 am »

I would say this is like seeing a unicorn, but I've seen a whole lot more unicorns than deaths by old age.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2014, 03:48:16 pm »

That's why I always make a backup savefile on the last day of year. The dwarves die of old age when the new year begins, but this is decided before the new year begins, so I can reload the game knowing who will die - and memorize his family, friends, and most importantly his job assignments.

BTW I haven't seen a vampire dwarf in fortress mode or a ghost in v0.40.x, but I have some dwarves dead because of old age and I expect more to follow soon. My queen is close to 170 and I'm yet to decide if I let her realize her dream of immortality or allow her son to take his heritage.

And to answer the original question - the World Viewer for Legends and similar programs still work (mostly) and they can help with that.

Or, since you use dfhack:
1. enter lua (by typing "lua" in console)

2. go to units screen and select your dead dwarf

3. type in console
Code: [Select]
unit = dfhack.gui.getSelectedUnit()
4. type in console
~unit.countersThis will print a number of items, including death_id. It can also have death_cause, but most probably it will be "-1", so no use. Say that death_id it is 1234 for example.

5. type in console
~df.global.world.incidents.all[1234]where instead of 1234 you enter death_id number from #4.

This will show some more data, including killer id and death_cause. Or you can enter
~df.global.world.incidents.all[1234].death_cause straight away to get death_id number only, if you are overwhelmed by all this useless information. Some common ids:

0 = old age, aka died peacefully
1 = hunger (starved)
2 = thirst (not enough drinks)
3 = shot
4 = bled to death
5 = drowned
6 = air (suffocated, including when died because lungs were damaged by your military or by a syndrome)
7 = struck down (most of kills by melee military classifies here actually, even though some victims may be described as "slaughtered" on the slab)
8 = scuttled (I've seen this only for wagons)
9 = obstacle (like from a fall or when thrown by a Forgotten Beast)
10 = lava (aka magma)
11 = lava mist (aka magma mist)
12 = dragonfire
15 = cavein
16 = crushed by a bridge
19 = cage blasted (I've seen this on a gobbo who died in a cage, so may not always involve minecart cannons)
21 = trap
43 = succumbed to infection
45 = scared to death
48 = blood drained (when vampires hunger was higher than blood count of a victim this happens)
50 = vehicle (fell under a train)
51 = flying object (or falling object, though caveins and falling rocks have their own ID)

Aristion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2014, 07:49:24 pm »

The one thing nobody would suspect in a death.
I kept imagining this guy go "By Armok, not the dead roaches! Oh gods the hamsters oh the dwarfmanity!"
Devotes several hours a day making vampires an endangered species.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2014, 12:05:33 am »

"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead."
Cannot stop giggling. I had one of these last week. Puzzled over it for days, before finally realising the dwarf was over 200 years old, and that no one was trying to get Justice for her death. I would have posted it here if we had internet connection at the time.

...now I've sigged it, because it's a beautiful line.  :D
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2014, 01:15:07 am »

The thing is though that the body is supposedly bisected (half of it being found by the player, the other half already buried).
How does old age bisect you?
Time is the cruelest cut of all?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2014, 02:04:25 am »

Ive seen dwarves die of old age before, and the corpses remained intact. Something is wrong here. Something ripped this guy in half at the last instant.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2014, 02:11:58 am »

Over-eager corpse haulers?

"No, it's my job!"
"Nuh uh, you let go!"
"No way, I was here first, you let go!"
"Well he was my grandfather, I call dibs!"
*tugging ensues... RRRIIIIPPPPSSSPPLOORRCHHH*
"Ugh... it's all yours man, he is your grandfather after all."
"No no, you were here first, by all means have at it."

Dorf and Dumb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 02, 2014, 11:16:34 am »

There at least used to be an announcement when someone died of old age.

Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum

« Reply #38 on: October 02, 2014, 11:54:39 am »

The "Upper body is gone" just means they died, because the upper body is what everything builds off of. It means everything is gone, but it only shows stuff closest to the center of the body. It's why when someone loses an arm they don't show a missing hand as well.
This is why they thought he was cut in half. He wasn't actually though.

I guess I should just quote this every page, yes?
« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 11:56:18 am by Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum »

MobRules

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 02, 2014, 06:48:53 pm »

What output did deathcause give you? If something's broke we should try to fix it :P

I'm jumping through hoops to run DF on a 64bit linux box. I only have the 64bit version of Ruby, so it doesn't surprise me that things are a little wonky

E: NoMethodError: undefined method `nickname_dwarf' for #<DFHack::DInit:0xf1dfdef4>
 ./hack/ruby/ruby.rb:182
 ./hack/ruby/unit.rb:310:in `to_s'
 ./hack/scripts/deathcause.rb:4:in `display_death_event'
 ./hack/scripts/deathcause.rb:61
 ./hack/scripts/deathcause.rb:58:in `reverse_each'
 ./hack/scripts/deathcause.rb:58
 (eval):2:in `load

@Saiko Kila -- awesome info, thanks!
Ninja dragons! Protect the masterwork roasts!
Is this biome reanimating? I really don't want to know what happens when "absurd numbers of megabeasts" is combined with "reanimating biomes".

MobRules

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 02, 2014, 06:49:43 pm »

The "Upper body is gone" just means they died, because the upper body is what everything builds off of. It means everything is gone, but it only shows stuff closest to the center of the body. It's why when someone loses an arm they don't show a missing hand as well.
This is why they thought he was cut in half. He wasn't actually though.

I guess I should just quote this every page, yes?

I updated the OP with an overstrike and a note to see your post -- hopefully that will help

-- though I'm enjoying the alternate explainations :P
Ninja dragons! Protect the masterwork roasts!
Is this biome reanimating? I really don't want to know what happens when "absurd numbers of megabeasts" is combined with "reanimating biomes".
Pages: 1 2 [3]