Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Make Hydrae (and other assorted beasties) trainable.  (Read 635 times)

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
Make Hydrae (and other assorted beasties) trainable.
« on: September 30, 2014, 01:13:06 am »

Okay, so one thing that's always annoyed me is that you can catch hydrae rather easily, you don't need to pasture them, they're tough, they breed, but guess what? You can't train them. I have a dragon hatchery and roc hatchery, in different forts, of course can't be that lucky. I'm hoping after masterfully training a roc or dragon, I'll have the option to get them at embark, once my forts become the Mountainhome.

Sorry, I ramble too easily. But really, why can't you train hydrae? My only thought is because you can't convince seven brains to work with you. But really, they're tough, and it makes sense that you can't train a bronze colossus. But really, if it's tough, can think, and is tameable, it should be trainable. I always mod in Dralthas, basically subterranean, herbivore lions, and hydrae to be trainable.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

BesorgterZwerg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Make Hydrae (and other assorted beasties) trainable.
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2014, 03:02:58 am »

I support this.

I never understood why grizzly and polar bears are trainable but black bears not.  :o

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2014, 01:57:09 pm »

Just mod it if you dont like it. Just add in [PET]. [TRAINABLE] and [MOUNT] is also an option if they are pets.
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2014, 05:45:01 pm »

I know. I already said I mod it. But I'm allowed to make reasonable suggestions for things. If steel had gotten glitched, and was the same as silver, would you have the same response, just because you can change it back?
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2014, 10:28:46 pm »

I believe it might be a balance thing; war-trained animals are supposed to be significantly more dangerous than their counterparts, and a hydra is already extremely dangerous on its own.
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2014, 10:38:35 pm »

Well so are dragons, elephants, and rocs. Also, for years, hydrae were complete pushovers.