Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sewer System  (Read 1464 times)

srifenbyxp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Sewer System
« on: September 30, 2014, 04:40:31 pm »

Alrighty, so i'm tasked with murdering a vampire thats underneath the city in the sewers of said entrance i've found. My guy can swim/drown for quite a long time but I just can't reach my target seeing how he's 3 towns over to the left from the 'actual sewer entrance' in the city. I know sewers can be found behind houses and such but wanted to see if anyone knows if the sewer system within the 'region' is all connected? If so I figure I'd start looking behind houses near the actual target, although the town has the only purple 'sewer entrance' i'd figure there has to be a entrance to the swere in a nearby town regardless.
I've read in a post that castles/fortress can lead into the sewer system but that fortress is even further away from the target and i'll just run into the same problem of drowning. If theres no other way around reaching my target besides becoming a vampire so I don't have to breathe or if theres a command in DF Hack to make me invincible I guess im rather boned.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 04:42:13 pm by srifenbyxp »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sewer System
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2014, 04:47:54 pm »

Are you playing 34.11 or 40.xx?

Also, the sewer systems don't connect outside of the site and in 40.xx are largely abandoned now. In 40.xx, you don't have to dive into the sewers to find the vampires, just wait until nightfall when they start wandering around.

ClorrProdigal

• Bay Watcher
  • My God! It's full of dwarves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2014, 08:26:09 pm »

So vampires actually feed during play now?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2014, 08:27:57 pm »

Not sure if they actually feed during play, but yes, when they're present in a town (and sometimes in hamlets), they'll wander around at night. They can ambush you during the day as well though.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2014, 11:42:14 pm »

Sewers usually connect to nearby rivers. In DF2014 you should be able to climb your way up most steep drops to reach the sewers proper. Maybe you could even dodge/jump into a well?
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 11:44:49 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

srifenbyxp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2014, 03:03:16 am »

Im using MasterWorks so 34.11 for me

TruePikachu

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished System Administrator
    • View Profile
    • cDusto (my personal server)
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2014, 08:51:06 pm »

I can confirm that sewer enterances can be found in rivers

--but--

sometimes even that won't help you. There have been times where I've had to DFHack tiletypes up some stairs to actually get to the relevant location because it didn't even connect to the outside in any way.
He likes Pokémon, composing ≡«☼characters☼»≡, Windows for its compatability, Linux for its security, and Pikachu for its electric capabilities. When possible, he prefers to consume pasta. He absolutely detests Apple.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2014, 08:59:17 am »

Not sure if they actually feed during play, but yes, when they're present in a town (and sometimes in hamlets), they'll wander around at night. They can ambush you during the day as well though.

In a capital city of my world I found three vampires at night - one dwarf and two elves! They always run with fear when they see me, which is amusing. They are visible on the map as "*" symbol like every encounter, so I encountered them several times, sometimes during one night. The elves are very fast, but I managed to intercept the dwarf a couple of times and started the conversation. He always agrees to stop hostilities but isn't very chatty though.

I found another dwarven vampire, one which peasants are actually talking about as a monster (unlike these other three from capital). He was attacking a monster feline in a village at night, and after interruption by me he started a fight with robber goblins which are pestering that village. So three "quests" met together. The vampire was chased away by me, but then returned and was patrolling the village during the rest of the night, without attacking people. He was even marked as an ally when we killed these goblins together. I imagine him as a kind of shepherd of that village, and people are his sheep...