Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2H war hammer?  (Read 1111 times)

letsdance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
2H war hammer?
« on: September 30, 2014, 06:24:58 pm »

inspired by a mace vs war hammer discussion, i wonder if it's possible to make war hammers 2-handed. if i did these changes:
size 400 -> 800
two_handed 37500 -> 65000
material_size 3 -> 6

it's now a 2-handed weapon (due to can-wield size bug no dwarf can use it one-handed) that needs 2 bars to make. doubling it's size  should also significantly increase damage (more mass). is that correct?

edit: added arena testing data
all battles 10 vs 10, A:B giving the number of survivors

A
iron mace + wooden shield
proficient mace, shield, fighter, discipline

B
iron warhammer
proficient hammer, fighter, discipline

results:
4:0 (all heavy damaged)
7:0 (mostly undamaged, some light damage)
7:0 (1 heavy damage, 6 light damage)
--> mace better if skills low and no armor

A
iron mace + wooden shield
grandmaster mace, shield, dodger, discipline
proficient fighter, wrestler, fighter, kicker, biter

B
iron warhammer
grandmaster hamer, dodger, discipline
proficient fighter, wrestler, fighter, kicker, biter

results:
0:9 (medium damage) - mace did usually only bruises, while hits with war hammer caused real injuries
0:4 (medium damage)
--> war hammer better if skills are higher. i assume dodge is the big difference (macedwarves need it less because they have a shield). i also assume using silver as weapon material would shift this towards the maces (war hammer had more hard hits already)

A
silver mace, wooden shield, iron mail shirt, chain leggings, low boots x2, gauntlets x2, helm
proficient mace, shield, dodger, armor user

B
silver war hammer, iron mail shirt, chain leggings, low boots x2, gauntlets x2, helm
proficient hammer, dodger, armor user

results:
0:4 (heavy damage)
6:0 (medium damage)
--> with some armor and low skills it seems to be quite even

A
silver mace, wooden shield, steel breastplate, greaves, helm, high boots x2, gauntlets x2
grandmaster mace, shield, dodger, armor user, discipline
accomplished fighter, wrestler, fighter, kicker, biter

B
silver war hammer, steel breastplate, greaves, helm, high boots x2, gauntlets x2
grandmaster hammer, dodger, armor user, discipline
accomplished fighter, wrestler, fighter, kicker, biter

2:0 (light damage)
0:6 (medium damage)
--> full steel and high skills favors war hammers

all in all maces are better if skills are low and armor is weak (or non-existant), while war hammers seem to be the better choice in the long run. but also then, the mace is still performing ok. this also gives me the option to create a mixed squad, giving the "expendable" dwarves war hammers while increasing the survival chance of those that are dear to me by letting them use mace+shield.

i'm quite happy with the result.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2014, 02:11:45 pm by letsdance »

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
Re: 2H war hammer?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2014, 06:28:03 pm »

Yes.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2014, 06:28:40 pm »

Well, yes. No dwarf will be able to wield it at all though. Can-wield is kind of broken.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2014, 06:58:44 pm »

Well, yes. No dwarf will be able to wield it at all though. Can-wield is kind of broken.

The problem is when the average dwarf size isn't big enough to carry the weapon at all, not when it's not big enough to carry them two-handed.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2014, 07:05:26 pm »

Making the weapon size 600(zeroes) instead of 625(zeroes) will solve that issue.

Alternatively, increase dwarf size to 625(zeroes).
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

letsdance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2014, 09:35:52 pm »

Making the weapon size 600(zeroes) instead of 625(zeroes) will solve that issue.

Alternatively, increase dwarf size to 625(zeroes).
the way i understand it, if i decrease two_handed to 60000, they will be able to use it one-handed (the two_handed tag actually defines the sized for one-handed use). currently no dwarf can use it one-handed, but they can use it two handed because the minimum size is small enough (contrary to all 2-handed weapons in the unmodded game, which i think is causing confusion here).

i didn't test it though, still in an old game. any more voices/votes on this?

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2014, 11:40:44 pm »

Two-handed size indicates the maximum size of a creature that can only use the weapon in two hands. I think.
I might of course be talking out of a certain hole in my backside, however.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

scamtank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2014, 02:20:40 am »

He got it right in the first post stop confusing the poor boy.

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2014, 01:34:11 am »

Isnt there a maul already though? Then again I guess that cant be used by dwarves looking at the raws. It also seems to be quite shite compared to the hammer.
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2014, 11:30:14 pm »

It still has a contact area of 10?  Yeah that would be pretty painful.  The DF war hammer isn't a brick on a stick, it's more like a biggish claw hammer used backward.  If it seems overpowered in the arena, try dialing up the contact area to something between 10 and 20.  Any bigger than 20 and it's actually more like a maul than a war hammer.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

letsdance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2014, 02:10:45 pm »

added arena test data in the initial post. the result is very satisfying for me.