Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Siege tag persists despite invaders routed and slain. Feature or bug?  (Read 3750 times)

Lamb

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

On my second year in my current fort I was invaded by a small band of goblins. To make a brief story shorter—my militia defeated the goblins and routed one of them off the map. To my surprise this did not remove the siege tag from the UI and as far as the game is concerned I'm still under siege (instead of abandon fortress in the menu I get "succumb to the invasion").

I've been hearing mixed reports on what's causing this. Ranging from just waiting it out until the siege tag goes away on its own, looking around for any hidden goblins on the map, or using a memory editor to flag some invaders that have possibly gotten stuck outside the map. People suggest using third part programs like Runesmith to check whether there are buggy flags in my save but the program has been outdated for years, and I've tried searching for any goblin stragglers both manually with my squads and using the reveal command in DFHack (pretty much confirming that there are no more gobbos on the map). So my only solution right now is to try waiting the "siege" out and hoping life returns to normal in my fort so I can start receiving proper visitors and migrants again.

However, I rather not waste time waiting for a problem that might not fix itself unless I knew it was the solution, so I'm open to advice from anyone here that might have an answer to this problem.
For all I know the siege tag persists until the season ends, I haven't had many sieges during my DF career :\

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Before these buggy hello/goodbye sieges appeared with 0.42.X siegers would give up either after one season (if you're lucky) or after a year (if you're unlucky). Thereafter they would run off the map.

As far as I understand, sneakers (such as necromancers and "goblin" snatchers) can appear as a part of a siege, but they do not result in a siege indication (that's a big point with sneaking). Thus, I'd say you've got a bunch of enemies off map that still think they're besieging you.

In a couple of cases I've sent "militia" (i.e. the dorf with the spare axe) out to kill one or two hello/goodbye siegers, and as I've drawn close to them (they were hovering by the map edge, rather than pathing towards the fortress), a small number of additional enemies suddenly entered the map (1-3 additional enemies, I think). Thus, if you've got a real militia, you might want to try to send them to move along the embark map's edges in the hope to lure the campers onto the map. I'd copy the save first, though, in case you'd happen to get a full siege to suddenly bear down on your squad (although I haven't heard of that happening). If you don't have a reasonable militia, you may want to just try to wait it out, hoping merc visitors will draw the campers onto the map (which is a long shot, since you have to be lucky with where they enter).

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

There  could be goblins hidden in the trees; they (like everything else) are sometimes inclined to climb up and then can't figure out how to climb back down.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

YetAnotherLurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Sometimes, the missing invaders are stuck trying to enter the map because of either a phantom unit occupancy issue (can be fixed with DFHack's fix-unit-occupancy) or an unexpected tree growth. Try the former, and if nothing changes, try chopping down all trees that are exactly on the map border, with priority given to smaller ones. Be aware that this can lead to your lumberjack suddenly being mobbed by a full squad of goblins though when the offending tree is removed.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Unless the goblins are snatchers, they wouldn't be hidden from the units screen: you'd still find it there and be able to zoom to it. However, I've had goblins stuck in trees when the siegers are routed and flee, and the siege indicator goes away even if some of the fleeing goblins are stuck somewhere on the map.

chrisadams3997

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've seen this about three times in a 42.06 fort I've got. The first one had me pretty worried, searching forums, testing all the usual suspects as have been mentioned here. When I didn't find anything, I let the game run... It cleared at or right about the beginning of the next season in time for the next caravan. Same thing the next few sieges following. It is odd though, I had a number of sieges before that first one that 'stuck' like that that all cleared normally as the attackers were driven off. I assume it's a bug of some sort

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile

It's an old-new bug. I've seen it since 40d but it seems to be caused by a myriad of underlying issues: new bugs trigger it even when old ones are resolved. It does seem to self-resolve now, which is better than in the past.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod