Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: [REGENERATES]  (Read 6601 times)

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
[REGENERATES]
« on: September 30, 2014, 10:30:47 pm »

Basically, add a tag that allows one or more body parts to grow back if severed, given enough time. This would mostly apply to hydras, potentially trolls, and possibly giant sponges and their like if it ever becomes possible to chop bits of them off without killing them. It could also be used on minor organs like fingernails and stuff to make sure they grow back (not sure if they do at the moment) and generally gives modders more tools to play with.
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
Re: [REGENERATES]
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2014, 10:13:54 am »

Do want.
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2014, 10:22:29 am »

As for fingernails, you can just put the healing rate tag on them.

iridian

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2014, 10:41:16 am »

Basically, add a tag that allows one or more body parts to grow back if severed, given enough time. This would mostly apply to hydras, potentially trolls, and possibly giant sponges and their like if it ever becomes possible to chop bits of them off without killing them. It could also be used on minor organs like fingernails and stuff to make sure they grow back (not sure if they do at the moment) and generally gives modders more tools to play with.

O-oooh!

So, if you cut of a piece of giant sponge - it will also have the tag (on the cut piece and the original) and you will end up with two giant sponges eventually?
That is, if the cut of piece of sponge is considered being 'still alive'
still want

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2014, 01:50:56 pm »

Sounds neat tbh.
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...

Icefire2314

• Bay Watcher
  • Programmer and Space Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2014, 03:19:15 pm »

Cool idea and, if a modder added these to dwarves it could eliminate the handicapped caste altogether, which would be nice since people like miners can get back to work after a crundle cave alligator bites off their hand.
"ERUTH PULL THE DAMN LEVER THE ZOMBIES ARE ABOUT TO GET INSIDE!"
"zzz"
BAY 12 MINI CITY: http://bay-12.myminicity.com/

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2014, 03:21:16 pm »

Most wounds heal (or just need the correct tags to do so), but I'd love a tag that regrows limbs.
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

Enchiridion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2014, 03:04:44 pm »

I'm fairly certain this has already been suggested. It just seems so obvious. But I would like to see this in the game very much. I'm just curious how exactly the regeneration would function. In real life, in order to regrow a limb, any organism that can do so(mostly sea polyps and other underwater beasties) must have the matter required to regrow the limb. I think it could use extra parameters that regulate the following

speed - the speed at which the missing or damaged or heavily damaged body parts would regenerate.

fatigue - regeneration can be an energy intensive process. This would possibly cause some loss of strength while the process is going on(Also, more fun if the value is set to negative. :))

Pain - Simply put, does it cause pain? perhaps this might be a binary option or a set 0 - 100 or some other system. I do not know the current system of how pain works in DF. As with fatigue, imagine the fun you could have by setting this to negative. Would that mean that by losing a special *nerve* body part a creature could become "pain immune"?

Extra factors might include:
  • special checks that stop the regeneration process for the specific body region if it is damaged while regenerating.
  • special checks that cause the regeneration process only under certain situations or environments(Examples : underground, during the day and above ground, on a full moon, when in water, when in a martial trans, when fighting, upon killing a unit, while unconscious/sleeping, while out of combat, while on fire etc, while eating/drinking)
  • special checks for when the regeneration process CAN NOT take place. (examples : in contact with silver/other metal, on fire, in sunlight, while conscious etc)
  • COMPLETE REGENERATION, which basically means that as long as a specific special organ or limb remains intact, it will be able to completely chain-regenerate the rest of the body. (note: interesting situations when losing this organ may not be lethal to the original body would be fun)
  • the posiblity of there being a limit to how many regeneration processes can take place at once or in a row (example : your legs will only regrow 4 times, you are missing an arm and a leg but only one area can regenerate at a time(this means that the arm or leg will try to regrow first before the leg begins to regrow))
  • A posibility that certain organs or body parts may COMPLETELY REGENERATE the entire original creature if it is dead and the body part is not destroyed/damaged when put under certain conditions. For instance, a flesh demon may have a special revival ritual where it's skull must be thrown into a pool of blood to begin regenerating the demon menace. Or an great tree father might regenerate from his "beard-root" body part if it is in the rain. Cults could seek to do this.

I also think it would be interesting if there was a way to cause regeneration to also activate a side-effect. Perhaps a syndrome of some sort or something else. Suppose regeneration caused the creature or limb that was being regrown to change it's material makeup or become a different limb. Then we could have situations of things like special golems, where each limb cut off regrows as a different element or material, either getting stronger or weaker with each regeneration until it is killed(stone to clay to wood and eventually it is just dust for it's adversaries.) Or perhaps strange bugs that, when they lose their extremities, the original extremity regrows back as a tentacle or something crazy like that.

Would love to see this also be a side-effect of a syndrome. Imagine a night-creature bite that turns your dwarves into maniacs that go insane and start rampaging and have mass regeneration. Or perhaps they have their limbs regrow as wooden limbs. This would ofcourse require the game to have more options of controlling how and what your military does. But the text

*URST MCFISHCLEANER HAS BEEN AFFLICTED BY TREEBLIGHT*

only to be followed by Urst running around, slowly turning into a wooden little dwarven golem, attacking random things until eventually the military comes and sets him ablaze and all that is left of poor Urst is his heart, which has turned into a deep green special large gemstone called mossheart(cause that would be cool if the syndrome did that, right?)

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2014, 04:11:59 pm »

I like the idea that it would have some parameters for modders to fiddle with, so some creatures regenerate slowly and others in tactical time-scales.  A regenerated bodypart would probably be really fragile until it also healed according to the creature's healing rate, allowing the militia some fighting chance against a regenerating forgotten beast.

• the posiblity of there being a limit to how many regeneration processes can take place at once or in a row (example : your legs will only regrow 4 times, you are missing an arm and a leg but only one area can regenerate at a time(this means that the arm or leg will try to regrow first before the leg begins to regrow))
  • A posibility that certain organs or body parts may COMPLETELY REGENERATE the entire original creature if it is dead and the body part is not destroyed/damaged when put under certain conditions. For instance, a flesh demon may have a special revival ritual where it's skull must be thrown into a pool of blood to begin regenerating the demon menace. Or an great tree father might regenerate from his "beard-root" body part if it is in the rain. Cults could seek to do this.
Of course, the creature will bear a striking resemblance to Patrick Troughton upon its first complete regeneration.  And then it will look like Jon Pertwee, and so on :)
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2014, 05:41:09 pm »

I like the idea that it would have some parameters for modders to fiddle with, so some creatures regenerate slowly and others in tactical time-scales.  A regenerated bodypart would probably be really fragile until it also healed according to the creature's healing rate, allowing the militia some fighting chance against a regenerating forgotten beast.

Of course, the creature will bear a striking resemblance to Patrick Troughton upon its first complete regeneration.  And then it will look like Jon Pertwee, and so on :)
What will it look like after it's 14th regeneration?
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2014, 05:44:21 pm »

I heartily support limb regeneration without the abuse of syndromes.

At least, where appropriate.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2014, 12:30:30 am »

Should be a tag for the limbs and not the tissues which already have healing factors
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...

Enchiridion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2014, 08:21:52 am »

why not? I think syndromes are awesome and could sure use these sorts of things as bonuses.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2014, 08:26:25 am »

why not? I think syndromes are awesome and could sure use these sorts of things as bonuses.
4 words.

Scarred-werewolf tell-signs.

'Oh man, Bomrek, did ya see the size o' that thing?  Musta been at least the size of the Elk Bird.'
'Nah.  Only a regular cow.  Did you see it take my axe to the side?  It even ran off with it!'

---

Meanwhile, the werewolf transforms into a bleeding human with an axe in it.  Local partols find a man with a scar in the same location as this beast that was struck.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2014, 08:29:26 am by pisskop »
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Enchiridion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2014, 08:39:41 am »

Im not entirely sure I understand what you mean?
Pages: [1] 2