Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Your First Fortress  (Read 2191 times)

SkaiaMechanic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Your First Fortress
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2015, 03:27:20 pm »

I think understanding how stairs work in Dwarf Fortress is the first lesson everyone needs to learn. "What? Up stairs? Down stairs? Up/down stairs? Why not just Stairs? This is dumb."
I'm running out of dogs. I'm running out of bolts.
I'm running out of dwarves.

Skullsploder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2015, 04:26:14 pm »

FPS Death due to not understanding water pressure: I diverted a river on the surface underground so my fisherdwarves could work in peace, but made the artificial river wider than the inlet. Thus there was less than 7/7 water in most tiles and all the dancing 4s and 5s killed my FPS, not to mention any dwarves who tried to path across the walkable tiles and got killed by a piece of goblinite swept in from the super polluted river aboveground. Also the way I'd done it left no option to shut the river off, so after 2 in game years of fumbling (and deadly) cave in and pumping attempts at 6fps I gave up.
"is it harmful for my dwarves ? I bet it is"
Always a safe default assumption in this game 

GannonDork

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2015, 05:33:54 pm »

FPS Death due to not understanding water pressure: I diverted a river on the surface underground so my fisherdwarves could work in peace, but made the artificial river wider than the inlet. Thus there was less than 7/7 water in most tiles and all the dancing 4s and 5s killed my FPS, not to mention any dwarves who tried to path across the walkable tiles and got killed by a piece of goblinite swept in from the super polluted river aboveground. Also the way I'd done it left no option to shut the river off, so after 2 in game years of fumbling (and deadly) cave in and pumping attempts at 6fps I gave up.
Wow your pretty good for a first fort.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2015, 06:02:26 pm »

Followed the old 2010 tutorial, Bentgirder.

All was going well, since things were moving astoundingly as predicted, even the racoons. Lost the place when goblins attacked along the recently finished road, shooting a smith/architect in the neck. She ran away, bleeding all the while all the way into the fort from the map edge, and into the freaking tombs of all things  before expiring. As you can imagine, things quickly went downhill.

I had a tiny militia consisting of the miners, woodcutter, and two migrants. Since I only had weapons (I forget if they were swords or axes,) I sent them out and hoped for the best, whereupon those not shot to death by the bowgoblin were shredded with swords. The survivors barricaded the doors, and one flipped thier lid and started attacking people, basically hospitalizing everyone besides a miner I'd missed when drafting everyone, who killed the berserker but suffered a bite injury on either her arm or leg (again, I forget which.)

With everyone hospitalized and nobody to tend them, the place just kinda crumbled while I let disaster take its toll in the background while I watched some video or another, with everyone still alive (a whopping four people, since the attack happened at the start of spring the second year,) dying of dehydration.

perigrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2015, 06:41:01 pm »

embarked in temperate biome. dug nice little buildings underground. failed to realize i had tunneled into ice. one level first spring fort, everyone drowned.

Magnumcannon

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep waters don't run still
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2015, 07:15:36 pm »

My first fortress was in an untamed wilds/wilderness surroundings, i don't know. Forgot to close the door, grizzly bear attack, 1 useful dwarf killed and 1 useless kid slaughtered. Grizzly bear trapped in food stockpile, dwarfs hunting vermin and food production was null. They starved to death. Also, the food stockpile was the same as the booze stockpile, so yeah...

darokindefender

• Bay Watcher
  • I have many skills
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2015, 10:43:18 am »

omg, for how many years does it exist in-game?

I think ~60 years.  Could be more.
Wait how did that even happen?

Oh ... nevermind. Apparently the one year old Kivish Ilidcatten is strong enough to take on a GCS. I don't even...

Paulus Fahlstrom

• Bay Watcher
  • Multi-classing : Because wizards run out of spells
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2015, 01:37:35 pm »

First fortress was in 2-D still. Died due to a combination of seasonal flooding of the cave river and beasts popping up from said river and chasm. Didn't know much about setting up metal industry and tried to defend myself with civvies. Didn't work out so well. That and I kept losing miners to cave-ins. It was a sprawling unorganized mess. heh. Good fun.

I like dogs... with a little bit of garlic and salt...

NomeQueEuLembro

• Bay Watcher
  • [COFFE_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2015, 03:21:46 pm »

Don't really remember my first fortress because I had a hard time picking the basics of the game (due to not understanding the interface, mainly)

But the first time I got a fortress running for real I had a siege and just locked everyone in. I was thinking on how awesome I was when my Dwarfs started throwing tantrum. They were all thirsty and they all killed each other.

That lead me to learn how to use the well (later I discovered how to use the Still and farm and I was like: WUT? JUST THAT?)

One thing I love about the game is how I think my fortresses are invencible and then, all of a sudden, FUN happens.
Likes weremammoths for it's awesomeness. Also, got a trumpet that menaces with spikes of sheep wool.

Pirate Santa

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_EATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2015, 10:15:38 pm »

My first fortress died to flooding.
How was I supposed to know you can't build a wall on a submerged tile?
Welcome to Dwarf Fortress. Where peaceful death of old age is something nobody sees coming.
it turns out Dog Bone Doctors aren't very good at doctoring.
Pages: 1 [2]