Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12

Author Topic: The Natural History Museum Challenge (40.24) - Old thread  (Read 16443 times)

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
Re: The (New and Improved!) Natural History Museum -Adv succession
« Reply #60 on: October 15, 2014, 11:11:08 pm »

They are not zombies;  they are bees, buzzing around and only attacking creatures that show fear or get too close.  And  I am their prisoner as much as they are mine.  ESP while my speed is 0.099.  They  treat me like the Queen Bee, forcing me to the ground a watching me wait until dawn in  a perfect circle .  . . its a curse almost.  i cant outriun them
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The (New and Improved!) Natural History Museum -Adv succession-
« Reply #61 on: October 15, 2014, 11:50:16 pm »

I'd pre-made over 200 basalt blocks so that nothing would get in the way of...
Thinking back the first thing I did was try to build a display case, and being told I didn't have any mechanisms. You're about to say 'display cases don't need mechanisms' and you're right - I must have got the wrong building from the list. I'm still not sure how that happened.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 12:01:16 am by ptb_ptb »
()==[:::::::::::::>

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 16, 2014, 12:04:13 pm »

I'd pre-made over 200 basalt blocks so that nothing would get in the way of...
Thinking back the first thing I did was try to build a display case, and being told I didn't have any mechanisms. You're about to say 'display cases don't need mechanisms' and you're right - I must have got the wrong building from the list. I'm still not sure how that happened.

Ah well, we'll just put it down to "growing pains" for this game, I guess.  I might also be a bit testy because HUD (The Department of Housing and Urban Development) sold me and my wife a house last month but have kept us basically homeless as they screwed around with final paperwork that should have been prepared before they accepted my money, before condescending to give me the friggin  keys.  I find out today if I get to pay for the itty bitty hotel room another week or if they've finally taken their collective heads out of their butts and crapped out their final arbitrary paperwork so I can go move my stuff into the house I paid for last month!

« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 12:06:15 pm by Timeless Bob »
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 16, 2014, 06:09:11 pm »

What the name of the fort?  I made it to the island, but Id like to drop this off and retire my dwarf.  Too slow.

:P  maybe Ill retire my bees and me on fort grounds.
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 16, 2014, 06:46:52 pm »

Well, if you retire your adventurer at the Museum, I'll just let the next Player do what they like to it before starting their own adventure.  I bet they could get REALLY imaginative if they wanted to...
« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 07:18:44 pm by Timeless Bob »

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 16, 2014, 07:35:17 pm »

Journal Entry of Rovod BasementBalanced the Stern Balance of Steel

-I've always been a specialized lass, a hunter in the dark and sure of my ability to blend
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

-Running around unseen, I specialized in stealth operation.  Thats why when the murder started I was one of the first to be blamed.  To face the hammerer or flee; those were my choices.  I chose flight.

-Grabbing some leather armor made form those I undoubtedly hunted, In fled with nothing more than a crossbow, a quiver, and some food.  If fled into the wild, and had to hunt off the land.  My options were limited.  I could join a bandit clan . . . but I've heard that mercenaries were being accepted at some museum place.  I think Ill head there.

-Honing my skill on the animal of the wild, I wrestled a skunk for so long I felt like a professional wrestle.  Even better, in fact, but all that training came to a head in the alchemical jungles, a savage land with a dark tower poised ominously like a watchful reminder to the night.  I must find a way in.

-I've done it.  By shooting, running, and distracting the zombies, I got enough of them out to sneak in unnoticed.  Soemtimes I would jump over ponds, to get them to jump in and flail about.  Sometimes I would curl up into a ball and roll away slowly  Soemtimes I would lead them into wild animals.  But however it was done, it was done over a small area, only just 3 urists by 3 urists.  Any more than that and I risked them getting bored and wandering back to the tower.

-I read a book, revealing secrets I dont think I was ready for.  Form this point on I live for two things:  to achieve greatness and drop this crap off for study.  Maybe Ill even found my own museum :P

-Countless days of nothing, countless nights of elven slaughter. . .  It never ends, and I grow blase to the suffering. . .

-I keep losing and gaining zombies.  They readily cross the oceans to reach me, and there is not stopping them when determined.  Occasionally I order them to stay put; to deter trackers.  Sometimes they listen, sometimes not.  They have their own minds still , it seems.

-I am a prisoner to my own zombie horde.  I am forced to carry a heavy burden, and while weight no longer bothers me I am too slow to escape from the constant cloud of zombies that covers me, crawling over me, probing me, violating me.  It is truly terrifying that I am a prisoner to them, unable to talk to anybody, and unable to breathe clean air.  I may not need to consume for sustainable any longer, but I must still feel the freedom open air.  My journey is a constant hell, and I doubt my old friends will recognize me when I return to reclaim my homelands.

-A taste of freedom!  The zombies have been left behind temporarily, even the heroes and the proficient zombie hippos.  The zombie stingrays, carp, draltha, and dingos no longer hound me; the bodies of elves no longer trouble me; I have but a single milkfish to keep me company.  As well, as I near my destination.

-I have arrived!  Unfortunately, as I was dropping th corpses and plants inside, I accidentally dropped my book as well.  I suppose I could try to find a slab or another book, but I do not need an apprentice when I have not hand chosen; instead I will bide my time and my power alone.  I am off to another island!

Ill try my best to make a fort for the exploration of goodtimes.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 08:11:59 pm by pisskop »
PKs DF Mod!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 16, 2014, 08:12:59 pm »

And here is the kill list

I actually have no convenient way of knowing how many my zombies killed, although I guess its as least twice as much as I.

I was too slow to actually see everything they attacked.  As stated I had a t least one hero zombie and several proficient fliers and swimmers.  Dont get ambushed by them! :}
« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 08:14:58 pm by pisskop »
PKs DF Mod!

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 16, 2014, 09:15:19 pm »

Wow!  Good job!  I feel sorry for the Players who will have to deal with the zombies you've strewn across the islands!  Good times!

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 17, 2014, 11:49:18 am »

Started my fort.  No water on surface, no water in the one cavern I found, which casts an odd, muddy pall on the layer, full of brown, evil looking mushrooms and headmonsters.  I am down a few dogs and a dwarf already, and although I have an iron-smithy up and making limited armor I have no plans for a military; Just basic weaponry/helms.  Also discovered that an animal I considered harmless is actually capable of killing a civie dwarf if left unchecked.
PKs DF Mod!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 17, 2014, 05:05:22 pm »

Journal of the Site Doctor

1 Year in.  Last month I got my head nibbled on by a crundle.  Ive been resting ever since, much to the resentment of everyone.  I dont care though, most of my jobs can be done from here.  I was responsible for meeting the diplomat, sending away the caravans, and occasionally inspecting the dig site.  Our mission to  [REDACTED] has been a partial success thus far, as we located suitable stone and began construction.  Our benefactor, [REDACTED], has been paying us well for our findings, and we await a visit from them or a representative.  We must keep our mission secret, and thus no family has been notified of any deaths.  We havent had too hard of a time at this, and its mostly bee dogs who take the damage.  Ive ordered all civilians armed with a shield, weapon, and helmet, just in case however.

Last month, maybe a week before my incapacitation, two giant ogres rushed forth from the depths, killing a civilian but dying handily to our three dedicated security members.  I refused our benefactor's security.  Given the discreet nature of this job, Id hate to rely upon foreign and unloyal source of protection.

Other than that, I've started moving jobs to a few centralized areas.  we have the masons, the crafters, and a full-time furnaceman and armorsmith.  We embarked with several tons of hematite, and with the flux found on site we have a limited supply of goods.  We keep crafting and melting products to train.

I hope to be gone from this site soon.  there is no natural water here, either on the surface or in the depths, save a few stagnant ponds that the animals keep frequenting.  The grey ones keep bothering us, the monitor lizards hunt our war dogs, and the monkeys steal our loose food.  Its always humid and tepid here, rarely raining.  We will release our military every fall to collect the fruits, to brew.  Goods, this place isnt evil or terribly savage, but a different kind of supressive.  It slowly eats at you, blanketing you.  Gods, the whining of the insects.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 05:18:39 pm by pisskop »
PKs DF Mod!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 17, 2014, 08:56:58 pm »

Year two:

With the death of the Doctor due to [REDACTED], it has fallen to me to record this log, I suppose.  When I am is not important, or rather so important I fear for my life if my identity was to be known.  You see, there are whispers that the good doctor's death was no accident.  I mean, who cant run from crundles?  And sure security was increased once his body was found (at least we assume it is his) the is no doubt that he had no business being down at the dig site.  At least we got hatches and cage traps out of the deal; I hear they originally wanted to put iron hammer traps in instead . . .

Construction of [REDACTED] is slightly behind schedule, based on the lack of coordination and the flooding of the corpse room.  We found a bloody aquifer!, pushed back into the mountains some.  At least the EarthReaders back at home can feel vindicated about that they were publicly shamed when we reported there was not a drop of clean water here.

We have doubled the amount of blocks produced, and shifted all memebers od the fort to one of four production lines.

-The miners are digging for stone and laying down convenience pathways.
-The masons an draftees are building the blocks and a few pieces of furniture on the side
-The plebs are gathering plants and growing plump helmets, lest our food or drink run dry
-The doctors, weaponsmith, and furnace operators are smoothing some stone and other wise running the forges/gathering flux.

We have repeatedly requested larger and more comfortable quartes, but they iunsist we all share the same ten beds; damn near 60 of us!  A squad of [REDACTED] Protection an Integrity of [REDACTED] Squad came in, 6 members, and absorbed our militia guard shortly after the Doctor died.

We only have, at most, 18 months of work left; they repeatedly have said we will not be given more time.  Three years to build that . . .  that thing?  Thats pushing it, and we still dont even know right what it is.

[Hi ho, 18 months in, maybe halfway done.  Ill be done on Sunday, Hell, High Water, or Bust.]
PKs DF Mod!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 18, 2014, 04:03:13 pm »

Year Three:

Scrap of paper left in the dining room/dorm/well/warehouse/carpenter's quarters/bone carving station/barracks/lever room

Gods, what have we done?  We starting digging around magma, we keep gambling with our lives.  When the check came, it came so fast.  A raid, composed of several squads, they all overran us with seeming unfathomable coordination.  And then somebody screwed up and a fire started.  It told them not to play with magma, I told them we werent equipped to deal with an accident.  Gods, so many burned.  So many more murdered.  A child was dropped by a mother today.  She was but a charred husk, but the baby was still burning.  Its fingers were still cluthing for a breast,  saying more than it melted voicebox could ever.  All of the food is in farm area, we ate most of it here.  We cannot hold out much longer.  I fear we are the only ones left, the 9 of us.

---

Note found in a mysterious structure:

. . . After we were ambushed, Mistim ran off screaming while we ran into the [REDACTED] and pulled the lever.  we are safe in here, if not trapped.  With sturdy bars, thick windows, and artifact doors, this is our tomb as much our safety.  There is no food here, and partially furnished looks more like a torture chamber than a palace.  They had us kill crundles, ogres, and the occasional troll in here too, leaving lazy blood smears along the wall.  There was a fire in the foliage, for some reason, no doubt an accident of some kind.  We will wait for the worst of the fires to die down, and try to escape out the small back door.  Hopefully nothing will spot us.

Everyone else is dead, we cannot stay here; not for any amount of money or all the riches in the kingdom . . .

« Last Edit: October 18, 2014, 04:06:18 pm by pisskop »
PKs DF Mod!

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 18, 2014, 05:15:25 pm »

Wow, pisskop. Am I the only one to be sorta-glad you weren't working on the museum itself? :P

Still, as long as you're having !FUN!
()==[:::::::::::::>

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 18, 2014, 06:16:43 pm »

Well i didnt butcher any killed monster, and kept their bodies safe inside.  I was also collecting all  the plants local, but we ran low on food before I was done.  Theres limes, and wheats.  Also artifact weapon(s).  so exploring it wont be a complete waste.  also mushroom trees will grow without water.  Im mostly done, just touching it up.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2014, 06:18:36 pm by pisskop »
PKs DF Mod!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 19, 2014, 12:17:43 pm »

Here is the save.
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=9947

Good luck.  Also, if you do go poking about Syrupshoved than the ash indicates you're going in the right direction :P

Spoiler: Rovod's Letter (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 12:25:26 pm by pisskop »
PKs DF Mod!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12