Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Were-dwarf massacre  (Read 1157 times)

wemb

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Were-dwarf massacre
« on: October 01, 2014, 01:51:49 pm »

Oh dear, and I thought my fortress was going well - in fact, it was getting slightly boring. Then a Golbin thief appeared next to my front door - right next to my mayor - and promptly turned into a were-lizard. Didn't take much to kill him, and I thought I checked out everyone near by.  But one moon later, and my master brewer throws a fit - in the middle of my Opulent Great Hall. 

Much fun was had by all.

Now 20% of my population are dead, the wear-Brewer is busy lying unconscious in the middle of the hall, my mason's are now mass-producing coffins and my Chief Medical Officer is throwing a tantrum (one of many).

What I really worried about, even assuming my fortress now doesn't implode in suicide - is how to identify all those who were bitten. Can I find this out ofrm their histories? Do I need to send everyone to be diagnosed? Or should I wall up all who were reported in 'r' reports as fighting? Not that, AFAIK, the brewer was originally listed as being bit by the golbin in the first place.

Dave

Prudent Viper

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Unprofessional
    • View Profile
Re: Were-dwarf massacre
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2014, 01:55:01 pm »

You could look at Legends mode. That'll tell you if they're cursed or not.
*Tryrar fires Prudent Viper. Out of a cannon. Into the sun*

Absentia

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2014, 02:03:49 pm »

If you want to cheat, DFHack has a "cursecheck" command.

If you don't want to cheat, the safest thing to do is to isolate everyone who was listed as being in combat. Ideally you want to seal in each dwarf by himself so the infected don't kill the clean. Anyone who doesn't transform at the next full moon is clean, and can be safely released.

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2014, 02:19:30 pm »

I used to cope with infection with creating a well-equipped army and training it 24/7. If one of soldiers is infected, he'll be butchered by his comrades. If civilians are infected, send army to take them down.

Although I lost some dwarves like that, I stopped the pandemic in few moons.

There should be not in the combat log about venom being injected, but I didn't see it in 0.40. Could it be removed/hidden?
Cool, but wouldn't this likely lead to tongues having a '[SPEACH]' tag, and thus via necromancy we would have nearly unkillable reanimated tongues following necromancers spamming 'it is sad but not unexpected'?

wemb

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2014, 06:50:08 am »

I used to cope with infection with creating a well-equipped army ...

I think it's too late - the were-Brewer transformed in the middle of the grand hall and took out 40 of his former comrades before he was finally beaten unconscious by the mob before the armed forces arrived. By the time they got there, all there was to see was a massive pile of corpses and screaming dwarf children.

At this point, the diplomat left 'unhappy'.

Subsequently, the rioting started. At the last point I looked, we were down to under a hundred dwarfs from the original 220, and most of those who are left are unconscious children and babies. Half the military have been killed by the other half for rioting and the few who are left are miserably failing at the only productive job left in the fortress - removing the corpses. Oh, and my chief medical dwarf got so unhappy he personally beat three other dwarfs to death.

That was a week ago.  I'm tempted to let it run to the next full-moon and see how many of the survivors turn, but I don't think we'll last that long.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2014, 08:37:32 am »

sounds awesome
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Sawdust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2014, 05:15:28 pm »

I've been wondering, can you still play if all your dwarves are were-dwarves?

Prudent Viper

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Unprofessional
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2014, 05:41:07 pm »

Yes
*Tryrar fires Prudent Viper. Out of a cannon. Into the sun*