Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Mallos' Microscope Steam Group!  (Read 829 times)

Mallos

• Bay Watcher
  • sick and tired of being sick and tired
    • View Profile
Mallos' Microscope Steam Group!
« on: January 18, 2015, 01:50:09 pm »

So I heard you like RPGs here at Forum Games & Roleplaying.
Maybe you'll try this one out with me,it's called 'Microscope'.

What is Microscope?

Microscope is a RPG that is unique for a few reasons,namely one of them being there is no GM.
Instead,all players cooperate to create the backdrop of the story,or the 'big picture' as the rulebook calls it. But from then on,they are against eachother,having to add events and focuses,but perhaps the most interesting part is the pallette. This is where you can add or ban things from being used in telling the story,like allowing steampunk tech in a Star Trek like universe or banning dwarves(!) from being used in a story about the collapse of a fantasy kingdom.

The playing schedule is still up in the air. I have school on weeknights so we'll probably do it some time on the weekend. If you're in,let me know.
Just in case anyone is wondering,my timezone is Central Standard Time,which may become important if some of you A)live 'across the pond' B)So we can negotiate on a time to play on the weekends.

But yeah,that's pretty much it. Any questions just post them here.
Gone. Departed. Headed off toward greener pastures.

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
Re: Mallos' Microscope Steam Group!
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2015, 01:52:40 pm »

I'm...doubtful that an RPG with no GM would work, primarily as because I've run a similar campaign (Everything Gaiden) and most ended up crashing and burning. I'd be interested to see if this would work, however.

Mallos

• Bay Watcher
  • sick and tired of being sick and tired
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2015, 01:55:05 pm »

I'm...doubtful that an RPG with no GM would work, primarily as because I've run a similar campaign (Everything Gaiden) and most ended up crashing and burning. I'd be interested to see if this would work, however.

No,you don't understand.
It's not such an RPG as it is a story telling tool.

Besides,the rules are based around there not being a GM.

EDIT:Here,have a link to the guy that made it's website.
http://lamemage.com/microscope/

« Last Edit: January 18, 2015, 01:58:34 pm by Mallos »
Gone. Departed. Headed off toward greener pastures.

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2015, 01:57:28 pm »

No,you don't understand.
It's not such an RPG as it is a story telling tool.

Besides,the rules are based around there not being a GM.
I'm still doubtful, primarily because as I stated, the rules of E:G were based around a lack of GMing, primarily only used for roleplaying, which didn't really work.

I'm still interested to see how it works in your system, however.