Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Blood Eagle  (Read 9444 times)

frightlever

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Blood Eagle
« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2014, 09:51:24 am »

Even assuming Blood Eagles were real, you didn't do one to get someone talking. You did it to test whether they were even worthy of the Gods. Either a betrayer you're sure will scream, or a seriously badass enemy who you respect and want to see earn Valhalla.

Funny, every reference I've ever seen to this execution method has been on the History channel.  ???

Yeah, most specifically:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3390212/

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2014, 10:09:21 am »

OP creeps me out with the offhand way he talks about torture..

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2014, 10:10:51 am »

OP creeps me out with the offhand way he talks about torture..
::)  cmon now.

Even assuming you dont read other threads (some of which I partake in) about shoving babies into holes and using them to block incoming weapons, as well as torturing prisoners . . .

---

The OP doesnt talk about it in a way to implies any experience whatsoever.  He talks about it the same way you would talk about a football game or a video game or tv show.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 10:13:28 am by pisskop »
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2014, 10:28:47 am »

I guess.

I'm not saying he has a torture fetish or something, it's just that normally when players have weird experiences or experiments it feels a lot more incidental, usually because they provide a bit of background. *holds up his hands* Consider me told off.

StupidElves

• Bay Watcher
  • I coveted that wind, I suppose.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2014, 04:38:26 pm »

I guess.

I'm not saying he has a torture fetish or something, it's just that normally when players have weird experiences or experiments it feels a lot more incidental, usually because they provide a bit of background. *holds up his hands* Consider me told off.

I'm sorry I creeped you out with that original post. I was merely curious.

Anyways, I've managed to find a much more effective way of making people talk with the new system. Break all of their toes and fingers and then their hands and feet and then their arms and legs. They will talk a lot if they don't pass out from pain.
Accidentally made over 5000 copper maces once. I have no idea how that happened.

GENERATION 29:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2014, 05:32:22 pm »

I guess.

Anyways, I've managed to find a much more effective way of making people talk with the new system. Break all of their toes and fingers and then their hands and feet and then their arms and legs. They will talk a lot if they don't pass out from pain.

Except that sometimes there are things I'd like to ask, but there is no option for.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2014, 07:04:55 pm »

I guess.

Except that sometimes there are things I'd like to ask, but there is no option for.
There. Are. Four. Lights.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

StupidElves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2014, 07:54:34 pm »

I guess.

One day there will be game mechanics for torture, and there will be infinite options for speaking. And on that day, my research will be appreciated.
Accidentally made over 5000 copper maces once. I have no idea how that happened.

GENERATION 29:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 22, 2014, 07:59:39 pm »

I guess.

One day there will be game mechanics for torture, and there will be infinite options for speaking. And on that day, my research will be appreciated.

Actually, I would like to see the rules of the civ applied to your fort more.  Maybe not forcing you to adopt their ethics, but a penalty in trading, migrant or migrant quality.  Or a fine or something.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 22, 2014, 10:09:21 pm »

Even assuming Blood Eagles were real, you didn't do one to get someone talking. You did it to test whether they were even worthy of the Gods. Either a betrayer you're sure will scream, or a seriously badass enemy who you respect and want to see earn Valhalla.

Funny, every reference I've ever seen to this execution method has been on the History channel.  ???

Yeah, most specifically:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3390212/

That source did tell me the part about screaming and earning Valhalla, but there were others. Just about any time Vikings are explored as an actual subject rather than an influence on something else, it seems to get brought up. The first time I saw it, it was being used against native Brits, not fellow Norse.

LeoCean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 23, 2014, 01:50:38 pm »

They wouldn't do this to people they didn't hate so much that they wanted to prolong their suffering because of the suffering that person caused them. They'd be absolute monsters to do this to some guy they didn't hate and respected and I really doubt their men would approve of them doing this to someone their leader didn't despise. The norse weren't that despicable and most the people who had this done to them by the norse probably more or less had it coming.

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 24, 2014, 12:40:46 pm »

Monsterhood's subjective. There's plenty of people who would consider them complete monsters even for using it on the scummiest people on the planet. There's plenty who consider them complete monsters for everything else they did, even if the Blood Eagle is complete fiction.

Even in Vikings it was used on an enemy who attacked Ragnar's homeland. Ragnar had accepted a King's decision to betray someone, and that someone came back to wreak revenge. He pissed off Ragnar, and Ragnar had him put to the Eagle. That's where we "learned" that whether someone screams or not determines whether they'll be redeemed. Not sure any of it is true, but it made the thing suitably more badass for the sake of the show.

LeoCean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 24, 2014, 07:14:07 pm »

Well the method and timing of that revenge is what made him hate him so much though. It's been awhile since I've seen that episode but it was based off of the history of Ragnar that was passed down, whether it is true or not.

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 24, 2014, 11:41:28 pm »

I know. He snuck in like a coward when Ragnar and his warriors were away, took over Ragnar's land, and threatened his family. The punishment makes sense for the crime.

StupidElves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 28, 2014, 11:42:13 am »

I know. He snuck in like a coward when Ragnar and his warriors were away, took over Ragnar's land, and threatened his family. The punishment makes sense for the crime.

Well, that's good. At least the punishment wasn't meaningless.

GENERATION 29:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4